PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Skype...

rizzle
04-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I know a quite a few of you use it. What is it's primary purpose? Video capabilities? Etc.

Thinking of using it as a means of allowing the grandparents to see and talk to the grandkids. Opinions? Do I need to buy a webcam? Suggestions?

Thanks.

markem
04-02-2009, 04:21 PM
http://skype.com/

If you want people to see you, then you need a camera, otherwise, no. A headset is highly recommended to avoid speaker/microphone feedback.

marge796
04-02-2009, 04:38 PM
I have used it for nearly 3 years as I work overseas. Never had a problem with Skype. I don't know a lot about the video features you asked about but the over all phone service is top notch and cheap.

:tu

G G
04-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I use it primarily for long distance phone calls. $40 annually for unlimited long distance. Bought a box from walmart that lets me use my cordless phone to make skype calls as well as regular phone line.

hotreds
04-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Use it to video call my folks in Va. It's WONDERFUL! You do need a high speed connection and a camera.(Unless you're using a laptop that comes with one!)

Highly recommended!

Sailkat
04-02-2009, 05:36 PM
It is a great way for grandparents to see the grandkids!

We set my Mom up so she can see her two year old grandson, TJ. We set up a web cam for her and my brother has one in his laptop. Grandma and Grandson have a great time! She reads TJ stories, he shows her his toys and sings songs and they talk. It's let them have a relationship they would not have had because of the distance and let my Mom watch him grow up. TJ sometimes tells his Dad he wants to play with Grandma ......meaning to get her on Skype.

My Mom is VERY low tech and once we got it set up, she is able to do it.

ucubed
04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Video Conference any Conference calls are for free. Video is 1 on 1 while conference calls are as many people as you want. You all should join the skype crew, more in particular the late night crew. Add Kevin Wu - ucubed and I can add you in into the skype text chat room. Someone is on at all ours of the day and our calls last anywhere from late afternoon until 6 A.M.

St. Lou Stu
04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I know a quite a few of you use it. What is it's primary purpose? Video capabilities? Etc.

Thinking of using it as a means of allowing the grandparents to see and talk to the grandkids. Opinions? Do I need to buy a webcam? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Works perfectly for the above..... that is what I use it for.
Ya need a webcam with a microphone for best results.
I also use it to see my rugrat when I travel abroad....... voice calls are cheap too. I think I paid $.025/minute from Japan to the US for phone calls.
Perfect sound and picture in my experience.
Make sure that both computers (send and receive) are fast enough and have enough memory. Skype publishes the minimum requirements.... a lil more is nice.

Video was even spot on overseas.

Any questions.... shoot me a PM.

Tim

floydp
04-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Been using it for FNSH for the better part of four years. One of the first pieces of software I add to a new personal confuser(PC).

Sailchaser
04-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Been using it for FNSH for the better part of four years. One of the first pieces of software I add to a new personal confuser(PC).

Frank is the "MASTER HOSTER" of skype:r:r:r

Starchild
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
We set Skype up so my parents could see their granddaughter. It works great! We bought a logitech camera for about $40 and got one for my parents. I recently got a new laptop with a built in camera and it's really convenient. The best thing I figured out was to put the laptop on a lazy susan on the coffee table. It makes it a lot easier to keep my 1 year old on camera. It's gotten to where any time I have the computer out, she won't keep away because she thinks she gets to see her Oma and Opa.

Other than buying a camera, it's free! How can you beat that.

The built in mic works fine, and my Dad is working on trying to record the sessions from their end.

BlackDog
04-02-2009, 07:28 PM
We used Skype when my daughter was in Africa last year. Our laptop has a camera, and the one she had in Africa did too. Worked really slick.

rizzle
04-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for your replies.
:tu

Smoking Dragon
04-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I found SKYPE while I was in Iraq. I used it to call home from my room. It was like really cheap for unlimited calls to the U.S. It saved lots of money from using the calling cards.

Sarge

68TriShield
04-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Stay away from Skype,very far away.....

;) Buickman58 here.

ahc4353
04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Word on the street is that they banned Dave. :D

68TriShield
04-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Word on the street is that they banned Dave. :D

Darn bean spillers :(

Don Fernando
04-03-2009, 12:04 PM
I use it a lot to communicate with my friends on the other side of the world.

mithrilG60
04-03-2009, 12:07 PM
We use to to talk to my finacee's parents since long distance rates to Vanuatu are $1.49/min :( :( Works perfectly. We also occasionally use it for vid conferences to see our nieces in NZ.