PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bears Land Cutler

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I have mixed feelings with this move. Im happy and also uncertain. Go Bears!!!
Also turn on 670 the score if your near chicago to hear up to date news.

http://www.chicagobears.com/index.html

KidRock
04-02-2009, 03:58 PM
I was really hoping that the Detroit Lions would trade 1st pick for cutler. Im sad :(

Whee
04-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Wow...now you guys have a real QB. As long as everyone kisses his rear end.

Talent-wise..it's a no-brainer. Personality-wise....:rolleyes:

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Talent-wise..it's a no-brainer. Personality-wise....:rolleyes:

I know. Pro bowler, but an ass in the locker room. I think he will have an attitude change with the bears. I hope so atleast.

Whee
04-02-2009, 04:06 PM
I know. Pro bowler, but an ass in the locker room. I think he will have an attitude change with the bears. I hope so atleast.

Fingers-crossed. Grew up a Bears fan until the Horseshoes came to town.

Beer Doctor
04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Bears gave up a first and third in 2009 and a first in 2010:eek:

icehog3
04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Bring back Danny Wuerffel!!! :r

Whee
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Bears gave up a first and third in 2009 and a first in 2010:eek:
Holy Crap! He better pay off soon. And they gave up Orton, too. The only Purdue guy I could ever stand.

Bring back Danny Wuerffel!!! :r

This is why the hockey guys should stay away from football. One too many pucks to the faceshield...:r

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Holy Crap! He better pay off soon. And they gave up Orton, too. The only Purdue guy I could ever stand.

He better pay off very soon.

floydp
04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I think this is a pretty good move by the Da Bears.

forgop
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
The biggest winner in this is Kyle Orton. He receives an immediate improvement in his surrounding cast on the offensive side of the ball and he'll run an offense more sophisticated than they run in high school. With a bad OL and even worse group of receivers, Cutler will bomb in the Windy City. Meanwhile, Orton will move on to bigger and better things in Denver.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-02-2009, 05:24 PM
The biggest winner in this is Kyle Orton. He receives an immediate improvement in his surrounding cast on the offensive side of the ball and he'll run an offense more sophisticated than they run in high school. With a bad OL and even worse group of receivers, Cutler will bomb in the Windy City. Meanwhile, Orton will move on to bigger and better things in Denver.

:rolleyes: We will see about that. If you are talking about losing St. Clair and Tait, I think the bears have good replacements. http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f56ab5&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

As far as receivers, that doesnt worry me very much either. We dont have that all-star go to receiver, but we have clark, olsen, wolfe, forte, hester, and a defense thats rebounding to ease the pain. I agree, a go to receiver is another piece of the puzzle that the bears need. But Cutler bombing is not likely to happen.

taltos
04-02-2009, 06:31 PM

This is why the hockey guys should stay away from football. One too many pucks to the faceshield...:rWhat makes you think that Tom was wearing a face shield?:D

Whee
04-02-2009, 07:34 PM
What makes you think that Tom was wearing a face shield?:D
:r

King James
04-02-2009, 09:54 PM
damnit..... Chicago isn't supposed to have a good QB.

Bad news for me.

icehog3
04-02-2009, 10:04 PM
This is why the hockey guys should stay away from football. One too many pucks to the faceshield...:r

What makes you think that Tom was wearing a face shield?:D

No faceshield....lotsa pucks in the mush. :r

That is my fear as well, and I am a Bears fan.

Bring back Cade McNown!! ;)

forgop
04-03-2009, 02:38 AM
damnit..... Chicago isn't supposed to have a good QB.

Bad news for me.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees would have put up 3000 yards in that offense last year. The OL and WR are bad. Don't worry.

Gone Dave
04-03-2009, 05:05 AM

Talent-wise..it's a no-brainer. Personality-wise....:rolleyes: Vanderbilt students are all that way... Mom and dads money so its their right to be an az hat
:2 But JayC should be a good passer!!

taltos
04-03-2009, 05:13 AM
How much of the budget goes for crying towels for your new franchise quarterback?

King James
04-03-2009, 06:29 AM
But Da Bears have Forte.................... just no one to block for him apparently

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees would have put up 3000 yards in that offense last year. The OL and WR are bad. Don't worry.

Whats wrong with the OL and WR's?

forgop
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Whats wrong with the OL and WR's?

It's pretty simple: they're not any good. ;)

Look no further at WR when they had Muhammad-he's a borderline #2 WR on a handful of teams and a #3 WR on a lot of teams, yet he was the Bears #1. Hester is fast as can be, but he's not really even a WR. Their top 2 OL are past their prime, both going into something like their 11th and 12th years in the NFL. How often did Bears QB's have any time to throw the ball even when there wasn't a blitz?

On top of the lack of talent issues, the Bears have a terrible system to move the ball in the air. Ron Turner's offense is about as conservative as there is in the NFL. Kyle Orton had to be dumbed down to Turner's offense compared to the offense he ran at Purdue. I'll admit that being a Purdue grad, I'm really partial to Orton and want him to do well, but I don't see that anyone would have come in and done in better with what he's had to work with in Chicago thus far.

What stinks out of all of this now is that I'll very seldom get to watch him on tv as the Bears were on quite often being in the Indy market. Now, I'll have to hit up a sports bar with the Sunday Ticket to watch the game, drink a couple beers, and light up a cigar or two, not that I'm complaining of course.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 09:34 AM

Look no further at WR when they had Muhammad-he's a borderline #2 WR on a handful of teams and a #3 WR on a lot of teams, yet he was the Bears #1. Hester is fast as can be, but he's not really even a WR. Their top 2 OL are past their prime, both going into something like their 11th and 12th years in the NFL. How often did Bears QB's have any time to throw the ball even when there wasn't a blitz?

On top of the lack of talent issues, the Bears have a terrible system to move the ball in the air. Ron Turner's offense is about as conservative as there is in the NFL. Kyle Orton had to be dumbed down to Turner's offense compared to the offense he ran at Purdue. I'll admit that being a Purdue grad, I'm really partial to Orton and want him to do well, but I don't see that anyone would have come in and done in better with what he's had to work with in Chicago thus far.

What stinks out of all of this now is that I'll very seldom get to watch him on tv as the Bears were on quite often being in the Indy market. Now, I'll have to hit up a sports bar with the Sunday Ticket to watch the game, drink a couple beers, and light up a cigar or two, not that I'm complaining of course.

The only place the bears lack talent would be WR. They dont have a "number 1 guy". But the free agency looks good right now. If they got cutler, why cant they go get TJ Houshmadzadah, or Antonio Bryant(which is on his way to career highs). The TE is very good for the bears. Desmond Clark has always done well and Olson had a great season. Also, I think that Rashied Davis is a decent wr and hate when he gets thrown under the bus. The running game is looking good with forte and wolfe. The OL will now have a former superbowl champion, 7 time probowler, and 2 time lombardi award winner in Orlando Pace. He is not passed his prime. He also has a great relationship with Lovie.(st. louis together) He wanted to come play for chicago. He said he felt as good as ever in his career when he talked to Lovie. And as far as cutler being a baby and a ass in the locker room, Urlacher will take care of that:D

LordOfWu
04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey you Chicago guys, you can have him! What a whiney little brat! I am a die hard Bronco's fan, and he started headed downhill when he said he was better than Elway and Favre, arrogant little weasel. They were basically building a team in one of the best sports town's in the country (not trying to compare w/ Chi town here, that argument wouldn't end well for anyone) and one of the best franchises in the country. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Rant over, proceed with your regular programming.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey you Chicago guys, you can have him! What a whiney little brat! I am a die hard Bronco's fan, and he started headed downhill when he said he was better than Elway and Favre, arrogant little weasel. They were basically building a team in one of the best sports town's in the country (not trying to compare w/ Chi town here, that argument wouldn't end well for anyone) and one of the best franchises in the country. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Rant over, proceed with your regular programming.

He will have a major attitude change coming his way:tu

forgop
04-03-2009, 11:45 AM
He will have a major attitude change coming his way:tu

Yeah, he'll end up on his backside enough Jeff George style as it is.

Goz
04-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Orton does benefit by moving to Denver. But to say he is going to move on to bigger and better things is a stretch. First of all, let me start this off by saying that I am a big Orton fan. However, you have to understand how limited he is. Orton cannot throw the long ball, at all. And he doesn’t try to. Because of this the opposing secondary was not afraid of being beat, so they stack 8 in the box, and can pressure Orton and try and to take out the running game, which was the only real threat for the Bears last year. No matter how great the OL is in Denver, they will are going to be under more pressure and give up more sacks. Especially if you add the fact that Orton will take the sack and he is slow.

On the other hand Cutler does not have the same limitations at Orton. Because he has the ability to throw long, Hester can become more than a decoy (provided he can catch the ball). Now opposing teams have to respect the deep throw, which opens up running lanes for Forte and takes pressure off the OL.

He better pay off very soon.

Really? Obviously Urlacher and you may be able to make a case for Tommie Harris, but which first round pick would you not give up for Cutler?

I know what the media has been saying about him and some of the Dumbe things he has said. But have alot of players come out saying he was a bad guy in the locker room? I am not questioning you I just haven't heard it. The only person I have heard comment was Scheffler and he wasn't happy about the trade.

You have a point regarding the WR situation in Chicago. However, the QB position is much much harder to fill than the WR. For the upcoming season there are several good FA that are still out there. Non of them are a number 1, but they are definitely good enough.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Goz;318948]Orton does benefit by moving to Denver. But to say he is going to move on to bigger and better things is a stretch. First of all, let me start this off by saying that I am a big Orton fan. However, you have to understand how limited he is. Orton cannot throw the long ball, at all. And he doesn’t try to. Because of this the opposing secondary was not afraid of being beat, so they stack 8 in the box, and can pressure Orton and try and to take out the running game, which was the only real threat for the Bears last year. No matter how great the OL is in Denver, they will are going to be under more pressure and give up more sacks. Especially if you add the fact that Orton will take the sack and he is slow.

On the other hand Cutler does not have the same limitations at Orton. Because he has the ability to throw long, Hester can become more than a decoy (provided he can catch the ball). Now opposing teams have to respect the deep throw, which opens up running lanes for Forte and takes pressure off the OL.
I know what the media has been saying about him and some of the Dumbe things he has said. But have alot of players come out saying he was a bad guy in the locker room? I am not questioning you I just haven't heard it. The only person I have heard comment was Scheffler and he wasn't happy about the trade. QUOTE]

:tpd:
I agree with what you said.

The part about him being a a$$ in the locker room came from discussion on the radio. I think it will change(his me attitude) when he gets to chicago.

Whee
04-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I think the silence from the players in Denver speaks volumes as well.

All in all, I think this definitley upgrades Da Bears. if they draft smart, and shore up the O-line, they may have most of the puzzle pieces in place.

icehog3
04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Hey you Chicago guys, you can have him!

I will tell Jerry D'Angelo that we have your permission! ;) :r

forgop
04-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Orton does benefit by moving to Denver. But to say he is going to move on to bigger and better things is a stretch. First of all, let me start this off by saying that I am a big Orton fan. However, you have to understand how limited he is. Orton cannot throw the long ball, at all. And he doesn’t try to. Because of this the opposing secondary was not afraid of being beat, so they stack 8 in the box, and can pressure Orton and try and to take out the running game, which was the only real threat for the Bears last year. No matter how great the OL is in Denver, they will are going to be under more pressure and give up more sacks. Especially if you add the fact that Orton will take the sack and he is slow.

Orton limited because he can't throw the long ball? I disagree. He didn't do it particularly well in Chicago because his targets were pretty bad for starters as they don't have the ability to get open. His OL certainly was less than spectacular in blocking 5 on 4, let alone when they brought a blitz. Outside of Hester (who's not a very good route runner), who could get open in Chicago? Defenses obviously played up on the short routes and for good reason as most of the time, WR's couldn't get open. Orton has a strong arm and can throw it as demonstrated before his senior year in high school by throwing it 70 yards in a QB camp (which surpassed an NFL QB at the camp-I'm thinking it was John Kitna for some reason).

I watched Orton play every game at Purdue and I'm sure I carry some bias. I know what he's capable of doing. He's not a pro bowl caliber QB, but he's not a bottom tier guy either. In a QB-friendly SYSTEM (which the Bears don't have), Orton will have a more open air attack and much more control. He ran a much more sophisticated offense at Purdue that he was very good in all elements of his game. Obviously, he's slow, but he's no worse than Peyton Manning in that regard.

icehog3
04-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Bring back Bob Avellini!!

Whee
04-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Bring back Bob Avellini!!

How 'bout Bobby Douglass?

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Orton limited because he can't throw the long ball? I disagree. He didn't do it particularly well in Chicago because his targets were pretty bad for starters as they don't have the ability to get open. His OL certainly was less than spectacular in blocking 5 on 4, let alone when they brought a blitz. Outside of Hester (who's not a very good route runner), who could get open in Chicago? Defenses obviously played up on the short routes and for good reason as most of the time, WR's couldn't get open. Orton has a strong arm and can throw it as demonstrated before his senior year in high school by throwing it 70 yards in a QB camp (which surpassed an NFL QB at the camp-I'm thinking it was John Kitna for some reason).

I watched Orton play every game at Purdue and I'm sure I carry some bias. I know what he's capable of doing. He's not a pro bowl caliber QB, but he's not a bottom tier guy either. In a QB-friendly SYSTEM (which the Bears don't have), Orton will have a more open air attack and much more control. He ran a much more sophisticated offense at Purdue that he was very good in all elements of his game. Obviously, he's slow, but he's no worse than Peyton Manning in that regard.

Didnt Kyle get benched his senior year at Purdue?

King James
04-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I think the silence from the players in Denver speaks volumes as well.

All in all, I think this definitley upgrades Da Bears. if they draft smart, and shore up the O-line, they may have most of the puzzle pieces in place.

They just gave up all there draft picks to get top o-line guys. Sure they could find some in later rounds....but loosing the 2 first round draft picks may hurt if Cutler doesn't get more than 2 seconds to through the ball

forgop
04-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Didnt Kyle get benched his senior year at Purdue?

He did his sophomore year and then won back the job.

icehog3
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
How 'bout Bobby Douglass?

How about Jack Concannon? :D

They just gave up all there draft picks to get top o-line guys. Sure they could find some in later rounds....but loosing the 2 first round draft picks may hurt if Cutler doesn't get more than 2 seconds to through the ball

Not the way the Bears have drafted lately.

Cedric Benson.
Curtis Enis
Cade McNown
Rex Grossman
Rashaan Salaam

:pu

St. Lou Stu
04-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Man...... I am a HUGE Broncos fan and can say.... Y'all can have him!

Kid makes a TON of AWFUL decisions. I just wish we didn't have to take Orton off of your hands. Seems like an even trade to me, but I guess the draft picks make it worth it.

Too bad you guys gave up the draft picks. You need those so Cutler has someone to throw the ball to.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 04:39 PM
He did his sophomore year and then won back the job.

I was reading it was his senior year. - http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2005/neubauer112504.htm
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/60508.html
I didnt know he also got benched his sophomore year too.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Man...... I am a HUGE Broncos fan and can say.... Y'all can have him!

Kid makes a TON of AWFUL decisions. I just wish we didn't have to take Orton off of your hands. Seems like an even trade to me, but I guess the draft picks make it worth it.

Too bad you guys gave up the draft picks. You need those so Cutler has someone to throw the ball to.

Or someone from free-agency:tu

St. Lou Stu
04-03-2009, 04:45 PM

True. Buress is out there.....

On a side note:
I actually went to the pre-season Bears v. Broncos game a few years ago at U of I Memorial Stadium. Cool place to see a pro game. nice and cozy.

icehog3
04-03-2009, 04:49 PM

I believe that's the plan.

Whee
04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
How about Jack Concannon? :D

Bobby Douglass is as far back as I go. I didn't know you were THAT old.:r:fu

At least you didn;t offer up Sid Luckman.:r

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 04:54 PM
True. Buress is out there.....

On a side note:
I actually went to the pre-season Bears v. Broncos game a few years ago at U of I Memorial Stadium. Cool place to see a pro game. nice and cozy.

I would rather see either of tj houshmandzadeh, antonio bryant, or even toomer. I didnt even know buress was a free agent.

St. Lou Stu
04-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I would rather see either of tj houshmandzadeh, antonio bryant, or even toomer. I didnt even know buress was a free agent.

He is as of today or yesterday.

Housh and Bryant would be nice choices. Cutler needs some good coaching. I don't know how Shanahan didn't get him any help. Maybe Lovie can knock the crap outta him to set him straight!?!?!?

forgop
04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I was reading it was his senior year. - http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2005/neubauer112504.htm
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/60508.html
I didnt know he also got benched his sophomore year too.

Oh, I just remembered this and didn't go to the SI link...his senior year he hurt his hip flexor on both sides and came out. He was a Heisman candidate up until that point.

icehog3
04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Bobby Douglass is as far back as I go. I didn't know you were THAT old.:r:fu

At least you didn;t offer up Sid Luckman.:r

Coccannon was the first Bears QB I remember....throwing to George Farmer. :)

I saw George Blanda play, but not with the Bears...he was backing up Johnny Unitas for the Baltimore Colts. :)

St. Lou Stu
04-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Damn Tom, I had no idea you were that old.
Should I bring some Geritol with the Ron Centrenario to the golf and herf?
Do I need to rent a cart or can I strap my clubs on your Rascal? :D

Beer Doctor
04-03-2009, 05:09 PM

Houshmenzadah was signed by Seattle a month or two ago. Antonio Bryant was franchised by Tampa.

icehog3
04-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Damn Tom, I had no idea you were that old.
Should I bring some Geritol with the Ron Centrenario to the golf and herf?
Do I need to rent a cart or can I strap my clubs on your Rascal? :D

I could carry the foursomes' clubs myself and not break a sweat. ;) :r

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh, I just remembered this and didn't go to the SI link...his senior year he hurt his hip flexor on both sides and came out. He was a Heisman candidate up until that point.

"The first half saw the 6-3 3/4, 217-pound Orton stake the Boilermakers to a 5-0 start and a top-five ranking. Orton, 22, threw for 1,642 yards, 18 touchdowns and two interceptions in those five games while quickly becoming a top Heisman Trophy candidate.

However, in the next four games, the Boilermakers went 0-4 and plummeted out of the Top 25, with Orton throwing for just 591 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions. Orton missed one start because of injury and was even benched for ineffectiveness during a loss at Northwestern."

He apparently had some bad games his senior year that also didnt help his chance at Heisman.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Houshmenzadah was signed by Seattle a month or two ago. Antonio Bryant was franchised by Tampa.

Nice. Well, that narrows it down even more.

forgop
04-03-2009, 05:25 PM
"The first half saw the 6-3 3/4, 217-pound Orton stake the Boilermakers to a 5-0 start and a top-five ranking. Orton, 22, threw for 1,642 yards, 18 touchdowns and two interceptions in those five games while quickly becoming a top Heisman Trophy candidate.

However, in the next four games, the Boilermakers went 0-4 and plummeted out of the Top 25, with Orton throwing for just 591 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions. Orton missed one start because of injury and was even benched for ineffectiveness during a loss at Northwestern."

He apparently had some bad games his senior year that also didnt help his chance at Heisman.

You ever try to play QB with 2 hip flexor injuries? He was awesome until he was hurt.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
You ever try to play QB with 2 hip flexor injuries? He was awesome until he was hurt.

I wouldnt have let him play against n.western if that was the case. Also the back to back losses agaisnt wisconsin and michigan before N.western didnt help. He had a great start to the season going 5-0 I believe.

Whee
04-03-2009, 05:49 PM

TJ went to Seattle a couple of weeks back.

forgop
04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I wouldnt have let him play against n.western if that was the case. Also the back to back losses agaisnt wisconsin and michigan before N.western didnt help. He had a great start to the season going 5-0 I believe.

Looking back, I wouldn't have either. He wasn't the same once he got hurt in the UM game and then hurt the other hip the following week. He actually held us back, but if he's hurt too bad to play, it's a coach's decision to make.

Benzopyrene
04-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Damnit! Now I have to get tickets to go see them play at least once if they are going to be good! Gotta show my boy Daniel Manning some ACU love!

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Looking back, I wouldn't have either. He wasn't the same once he got hurt in the UM game and then hurt the other hip the following week. He actually held us back, but if he's hurt too bad to play, it's a coach's decision to make.

Well he still had a hell of a start going 5-0. Really good numbers.