PDA

View Full Version : How To Fix The Employment/Auto/Housing Crisis

RGD.
04-02-2009, 02:18 PM
. . . In one easy step. Haven't verified if this a true article - but doesn't matter - it's still a great idea.

This was an article from the St. Petersburg Times Newspaper on Sunday. The
Business Section asked readers for ideas on "How Would You Fix the Economy?"

I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr. President,

Patriotic retirement:
There's about 40 million people over 50 in the work force -pay them
$1 million apiece severance with the following stipulations:

1) They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings - Unemployment
fixed..

2) They buy NEW American cars. Forty million cars ordered - Auto
Industry fixed.

3) They either buy a house/pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis
fixed.

Can't get any easier than that!

Personally, since I'm in the over 50 crowd - I'd say make it 2 million - still cheaper than bailing out the auto industry.

:ss

Ron

icantbejon
04-02-2009, 02:22 PM
That's an interesting suggestion actually. Obviously, it wouldn't work for so many reasons, but a great thought none the less.

TripleF
04-02-2009, 02:28 PM
. . . In one easy step. Haven't verified if this a true article - but doesn't matter - it's still a great idea.

This was an article from the St. Petersburg Times Newspaper on Sunday. The
Business Section asked readers for ideas on "How Would You Fix the Economy?"

I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr. President,

Patriotic retirement:
There's about 40 million people over 50 in the work force -pay them
$1 million apiece severance with the following stipulations:

1) They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings - Unemployment
fixed..

2) They buy NEW American cars. Forty million cars ordered - Auto
Industry fixed.

3) They either buy a house/pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis
fixed.

Can't get any easier than that!

Personally, since I'm in the over 50 crowd - I'd say make it 2 million - still cheaper than bailing out the auto industry.

:ss

Ron

Bingo. Give this man his due millions!! :tu

14holestogie
04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I, too am in. Where do I go to collect? :tu

BlackDog
04-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Wow, that's a big number. My calculator doesn't have that many zeros. :)

GTCanuk
04-02-2009, 03:31 PM
It would be better for the under 50 to get the money and the older than 50 to work because it the older people that caused the problems in the beginning:tu

WildBlueSooner
04-02-2009, 03:36 PM
If that happened so many old people would mysteriously die!

Footbag
04-02-2009, 03:50 PM
$40,000,000,000,000 is a bit more then the proposed stimulus, but I'm surprised there wasn't some sort of populist solution like this. If they gave everyone with a mortgage $10,000, to pay on it, it would have an immediate effect.
Unfortunately, these days, the banks are so big that the control the attention and the money in times of crisis.

Whee
04-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Had a client the other day saying the same sort of thing. If the Gov't would give each taxpayer $75k, the economy would begin to improve and it would cost the Gov't about half of what it is spending now.

But that would make sense, and governments rarely make sense.

themoneycollector
04-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm not fond of the bailouts, but I'll pray that we don't spend $40 trillion. Otherwise, what's it take to get a Chinese Visa?

SeanGAR
04-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Just give everybody who pays taxes 20 grand that they promise to spend.

I'll spend mine.

MithShrike
04-02-2009, 04:41 PM

I'll spend mine.

I could pay off all my debts, buy a car and put a down payment for a house with that.

Sr Mike
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson

JaKaacH
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I could pay off all my debts, buy a car and put a down payment for a house with that.

Now how would that stimulate the economy?? :confused:

:fu

:D

PeteSB75
04-02-2009, 04:56 PM
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson

:tpd:

Honestly, does anyone really think that more regulation and more government is going to get us out of this mess? Count me in with the group over here holding the Ayn Rand signs and standing in line to buy tickets to Atlas Shrugged.

tobii3
04-02-2009, 06:00 PM
...Personally, since I'm in the over 50 crowd - I'd say make it 2 million...

I had to get my calculator out....using that Math, it would be cheaper to keep AL at his job than to pay the $40,000,000,000 to retire him at his current age....

:r

AAlmeter
04-02-2009, 06:04 PM

I'll spend mine.

Could we even have a graduated system? The rich should always be in a higher percentage bracket...its only fair!

BigAl_SC
04-02-2009, 06:45 PM
My wife and I were discussing it the other day. We are about 100k in debt including the house. I told her that according to the experts we should go out and get 50k in credit card debt and buy a 50k car on credit.

Then we could say we doubled our debt so therefore our financial problems are over. We stimulated them out of existence.

Does that math add up?

SeanGAR
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM

Could we even have a graduated system? The rich should always be in a higher percentage bracket...its only fair!

OK OK already. I'll spend my $29.95 and let the rich spend theirs.

Starscream
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
:tu
Can he get an Amen?!?