PDA

View Full Version : Computer went and got it's self dead

yellowgoat
04-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Computer got blown all to hell when I decided to kill it! Sick of Windows and all the problems so I exploded it! Gonna buy a Mac as soon as I have money to do so.

I guess it just all added up with all the stress in my life and then the craptasic windows vista always messing up, I tell ya It did feel good to kill windows. I Feel a little better mentally now.

Cheers

leasingthisspace
04-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Glad you got it off your chest. Sometimes talking about it helps.

Volt
04-02-2009, 06:57 AM
I neither a fanboy either way, but if you think Macs are problem free..... Well good luck.

AD720
04-02-2009, 07:04 AM
You can try out Ubuntu in the mean time. Nice solid OS that should run really fast on a Vista machine.

Smokin Gator
04-02-2009, 07:10 AM
If you have a monitor laying around the Mac Mini is a heck of a buy IMO!!

stitch
04-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I know the feeling ... Several years ago I took a computer out and emptied a
.45 into it :D ....Maaan did that ever feel good! :tu
"Take Thaaaat you POS!"

goalie204
04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Used a mac and a pc both for well over 15 years, love both. Both can be problem free, depends on the user. Macs are less likely to have problems, good choice.

piperman
04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Mac are awesome, go ahead and call me a fanboy, but windows has allot of problems.

King James
04-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Mac should serve you well :tu

ashtonlady
04-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I have worked with both. When my daughter told me she wanted a computer I told her to get a Mac.

ahc4353
04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
"Take Thaaaat you POS!"

:r Why does this not surprise me? :r

Raralith
04-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Honestly, I feel most of the times it is the user and not the software. If you are installing a ton of junk and not bothering with antivirus or spyware, it wouldn't matter if you used a OSX or Windows. Personally though, I find it very hard to swallow paying a bit of a premium for hardware that I can't upgrade. If you game a lot though, you basicly have to run Windows.

TripleF
04-02-2009, 11:31 AM
sumbich computer wudn't no good anyhow....

04-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I hope you have the money, macs usually are twice the price for the same performance. I'm a Windows server admin so I'm a little biased but please hear me out.

Usually the solution is education. You have to learn how to protect your computer from malicious websites/code. Usually you can do it for free. Windows XP/Vista has a software firewall, enable it. Make sure your PC is not plugged directly into your cable modem. Put a router in between to act as a physical firewall. Download Windows Defender (native in Vista or free download for XP). It protects you from spyware/malware. Also use a good AntiVirus app like AVG (which is free). Keep those tools and Windows patches up to date and you won't have too many problems. If you stay off the adult websites and off of myspace/facebook you'll rarely ever have trouble.

I know a lot of folks like myspace/facebook, but people sign up for pages there and fill it with malicious code to take advantage of the site's users.

Malicious code is not isolated to only Windows based OS. Mac/Linux/Unix all have malicious code written for them.

Whee
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I hope you have the money, macs usually are twice the price for the same performance. I'm a Windows server admin so I'm a little biased but please hear me out.

Usually the solution is education. You have to learn how to protect your computer from malicious websites/code. Usually you can do it for free. Windows XP/Vista has a software firewall, enable it. Make sure your PC is not plugged directly into your cable modem. Put a router in between to act as a physical firewall. Download Windows Defender (native in Vista or free download for XP). It protects you from spyware/malware. Also use a good AntiVirus app like AVG (which is free). Keep those tools and Windows patches up to date and you won't have too many problems. If you stay off the adult websites and off of myspace/facebook you'll rarely ever have trouble.

I know a lot of folks like myspace/facebook, but people sign up for pages there and fill it with malicious code to take advantage of the site's users.

Malicious code is not isolated to only Windows based OS. Mac/Linux/Unix all have malicious code written for them.

Well damn, there goes my Friday nights!:r

I tend to be way overprotective. I run different 4 or 5 AV and spyware programs because I've noticed they each catch different things. Fighting with my daughter's machine right now. Can't seem to get rid of whatever has a hold of it. She has no concept of pop up ads, fake virus protection etc.

stitch
04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
sumbich computer wudn't no good anyhow....
Yuuuuup

04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Well damn, there goes my Friday nights!:r

I tend to be way overprotective. I run different 4 or 5 AV and spyware programs because I've noticed they each catch different things. Fighting with my daughter's machine right now. Can't seem to get rid of whatever has a hold of it. She has no concept of pop up ads, fake virus protection etc.

Best thing to do for kids is give them a different username and password than the parents use. Then you can restrict their account so they can't install/remove software etc. This is simple, create their account and take them out of the "Administrators" group. Then they will be limited in what they can intentionally or unintentionally do.

Volt
04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Best thing to do for kids is give them a different username and password than the parents use. Then you can restrict their account so they can't install/remove software etc. This is simple, create their account and take them out of the "Administrators" group. Then they will be limited in what they can intentionally or unintentionally do.

I also am an IT admin... that is the only way I will work on anyone's computer at home. The reason I'm there in the first place is 90% due to the kids. Once all the programs are installed on the fresh load, a parent has to do the occasional game load once in a while... Besides it lets them stay up on what's being installed.

I am biased againt MAC in one area - I do not do propriety software or hardware. I never bought into Tandy, IBM, Packard Bell, etc or any of the rest. I'm not paying an inflated price for a name. I have to work with both, personally MAC has a slicker look, touch, but your boxed more into what they want than a PC. With the modern day malware and viruses, they aren't any safer than a PC anymore. YMMV. :2

Whee
04-02-2009, 12:42 PM

When they lived with me, this is what I did. Worked very nice. Then they went to live with Mom and boyfriend deleted the software thinking it was preventing network communication...:bh

Now I try to start some of the stuff I loaded there when i pick them up for visits. (sigh)

AD720
04-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I also am an IT admin... that is the only way I will work on anyone's computer at home. The reason I'm there in the first place is 90% due to the kids. Once all the programs are installed on the fresh load, a parent has to do the occasional game load once in a while... Besides it lets them stay up on what's being installed.

I am biased againt MAC in one area - I do not do propriety software or hardware. I never bought into Tandy, IBM, Packard Bell, etc or any of the rest. I'm not paying an inflated price for a name. I have to work with both, personally MAC has a slicker look, touch, but your boxed more into what they want than a PC. With the modern day malware and viruses, they aren't any safer than a PC anymore. YMMV. :2

I usually don't get into the whole Mac vs. PC jihad. I use both. I have a mac that runs 10.5 and XP, Vista, Win7 and Ubutu through virtualization. My (work) PC boots XP, Vista and 7. There are reasons to have a PC and reasons to have a Mac.

That being said do you have any information (articles, studies, etc) to back up that claim? I would be intersted to read it as the majority of what I have read is that while Macs are not as safe as some claim they are still siginifiacantly safer than an XP machine.

While there are more exploits and malware coded for Mac OS than there were even 2 years ago there are still not even close to as many as there are for Windows.

Also "PC" is a pretty broad term. Are we talking about XP - still the most widely used Windows OS? In which case I will disagree with you. If we are talking about Vista I will disagree with you slightly less but only if the end user hasn't disabled User Account Control. If the end user HAS disabbled U.A.C. and the other monitoring nag-ware then all bets are off.

What is the propritary hardware you are referring to? Since the days of Intel Macs the last real "propritary" peice of apple hardware was the Power PC processor. When you are talking about an off the shelf (not a custom made system) system buying a Mac is the same as buying a Dell. Plug in any USB mouse or keyboard. Any monitor. Any speakers. Any USB hard drive. Any USB flash drive. Any SATA or IDE hard drive. Any SATA or IDE DVD or CD burner. For the record I have a much easier time finding device software and drivers for my Apple than I do for my Vista machine -that is a nightmare. :fl

The other elephant in the room is the price. Always the price. Yes an Apple is going to be more money. No one is disptuing that. Here is the reason, it's simple:

OS X 10.5.6 Retail Install Disc - $129.99
Microsoft Vista Ultamite - $319.95

Apple iWork '09 - $79.99
Microsoft Office 2007 Home/Student - $149.99 (up to $500 for the "Ultimate" version)

The last point I should make is personall experence. I'm sure you can understand the blessing (burden?) of being in IT. Everyone wants you to fix thier computers. Moms, Dads, friends, co-workers.

Windows Machines I've had to re-build or replace for my parents: 4
Times I've had to fix said computers (short of rebuilding/replacing): average 4 each

I got my parents to finally buy a Mac. I've not had to fix, replace, repair anything in over 2 years of running that Mac. Same with my fiance's parents, my fiance her self, my Unlce, my Aunt, several friends and even me. I've had 6 macs over the years and each was only replaced because I wanted a new one. Not because of becoming obsolete or hardware failure, although now that old blueberry G3 iMac would be a little pokey. :r

Number of viruses I've seen on any mac I've ever worked on: 0
Number of times I've had to rebuild a mac do to a virus or malware: 0

Both of those for PC's would be in the dozens and thats not counting work.

I've recommened PC's to several people for different reasons. But if someone (a casual user) is looking for an e-mail, light word processing, web surfing, music/web video/photo machine my recomendation is always a Mac.

Volt
04-02-2009, 02:01 PM
No real time to search - but here Apple Recommends Antivirus Software For Mac OS X (http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212201455&subSection=News)

I would agree at one time most viruses/malware was directed at the PC nation, but as MACs have surged in the past few years and now they run Windoze they are the new targets. We use both, I just find PCs are more adaptable from a behind the scenes world. VPNs, remote deskops, etc. Computers are a tool for me, and like I said being proprietary (TOC) and up front cost, just makes it hard to recommend to the bosses that it is a good value for their money. Everyone needs to get what will make their bell chime. In the end it's still just 1s and 0s.

shortstory5
04-02-2009, 02:03 PM
I had a Mac Powerbook for 3 years in undergrad. I loved it, but since have gone back to a PC for compatibility issues.

AD720
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
No real time to search - but here Apple Recommends Antivirus Software For Mac OS X (http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212201455&subSection=News)

Qouting the above article:

"Mac OS X threats are still incomparable to Windows threats, but with the growing popularity of Mac systems we are unfortunately seeing attackers taking more interest," the CA blog post (http://community.ca.com/blogs/securityadvisor/archive/2008/11/23/new-trojans-strike-os-x.aspx) said.

I Agree 100% with that. That is exactly the point I'm making.

Like I said, I'm not disputing the fact that there is malware coded for macs. That article does not prove that a PC is as "safe" as a Mac or that a Mac is as "un-safe" as a PC.

I'm not trying to attack you - just share my personal experences and help people make an informed decision when they are looking into a new system. :tu

There are compelling reasons to buy both and they both certainly have drawbacks. The bottom line is that no matter what system you run it is important to keep it up to date and use common sense when "in teh interwebz".

AD720
04-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I would agree at one time most viruses/malware was directed at the PC nation, but as MACs have surged in the past few years and now they run Windoze they are the new targets. We use both, I just find PCs are more adaptable from a behind the scenes world. VPNs, remote deskops, etc. Computers are a tool for me, and like I said being proprietary (TOC) and up front cost, just makes it hard to recommend to the bosses that it is a good value for their money. Everyone needs to get what will make their bell chime. In the end it's still just 1s and 0s.

Agree 10000% :tu

Volt
04-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Qouting the above article:

"Mac OS X threats are still incomparable to Windows threats, but with the growing popularity of Mac systems we are unfortunately seeing attackers taking more interest," the CA blog post (http://community.ca.com/blogs/securityadvisor/archive/2008/11/23/new-trojans-strike-os-x.aspx) said.

I Agree 100% with that. That is exactly the point I'm making.

Like I said, I'm not disputing the fact that there is malware coded for macs. That article does not prove that a PC is as "safe" as a Mac or that a Mac is as "un-safe" as a PC.

I'm not trying to attack you - just share my personal experences and help people make an informed decision when they are looking into a new system. :tu

There are compelling reasons to buy both and they both certainly have drawbacks. The bottom line is that no matter what system you run it is important to keep it up to date and use common sense when "in teh interwebz".

Heck I very rarely take a form chat seriously unless someone wants to get personal... :) I agree everyone needs to assess what they want and get it. I really prefer neither except I can more easily do more of my needs with the Windoze than the MACs. At this moment I have Ubuntu loaded up trying to learn it. Why someone feels the need to opreate in a 25 year old mold with CLI beats the **** out outta me. I did DOS from 3.0 to 6.22 and feel no need to go back. Just loaded up a GUI to more easily navigate the system. I actually am finding the snootyness of the Unix/Linux types more offensive than the Mac or Windows peeps. It never ends :confused:

AD720
04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Heck I very rarely take a form chat seriously unless someone wants to get personal... :) I agree everyone needs to assess what they want and get it. I really prefer neither except I can more easily do more of my needs with the Windoze than the MACs. At this moment I have Ubuntu loaded up trying to learn it. Why someone feels the need to opreate in a 25 year old mold with CLI beats the **** out outta me. I did DOS from 3.0 to 6.22 and feel no need to go back. Just loaded up a GUI to more easily navigate the system. I actually am finding the snootyness of the Unix/Linux types more offensive than the Mac or Windows peeps. It never ends :confused:

That's why my work machine is a mac. I've got a handful of industry software that doesn't play well with OSX yet and the boss gave me a no-go on running mission critical software in Virtual Box. :r

Plus my company gets a stupid high discount on Dells. So at least I have the best possible windows machine I can get. :)

SmokinDuck
04-02-2009, 03:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQY6bjfJzG0

AD720
04-02-2009, 03:08 PM
That's why my work machine is a mac. I've got a handful of industry software that doesn't play well with OSX yet and the boss gave me a no-go on running mission critical software in Virtual Box. :r

Plus my company gets a stupid high discount on Dells. So at least I have the best possible windows machine I can get. :)

^-- should read NOT a mac. :dance:

04-03-2009, 05:46 AM
I had a Mac Powerbook for 3 years in undergrad. I loved it, but since have gone back to a PC for compatibility issues.

This is what it boils down to for me. Regardless of what the MAC commercials say Windows has 95% of the market. The other 5% are made up mostly of MAC but also include Linux.

If you want to live on a world unto yourself then you can get away with a MAC. If you want to work closely with others, transfer files, etc. then you will run into compatibility issues. This is problematic because if it's a MAC/Windows compatibility issue then you'll have the same problem with 95% of everyone else.

When it comes to business, many IT departments list MACs as an unsupported client OS. Plus, many software companies don't even make MAC versions of their software.

So in short you're limited what you can do with others and what software is available. Those are two huge limitations for me personally.

Mike

macpappy
04-03-2009, 06:13 AM
This is what it boils down to for me. Regardless of what the MAC commercials say Windows has 95% of the market. The other 5% are made up mostly of MAC but also include Linux.

If you want to live on a world unto yourself then you can get away with a MAC. If you want to work closely with others, transfer files, etc. then you will run into compatibility issues. This is problematic because if it's a MAC/Windows compatibility issue then you'll have the same problem with 95% of everyone else.

When it comes to business, many IT departments list MACs as an unsupported client OS. Plus, many software companies don't even make MAC versions of their software.

So in short you're limited what you can do with others and what software is available. Those are two huge limitations for me personally.

Mike

Excuse me. You are making a blanket statement which is not accurate.

I use nothing but Mac's and I have never had a compatibility issue because I am using a Mac and 90 percent of my clients use Windows-based boxes. I've never had problems doing FTP or other transfers of files between my computers and people who I am sending files to.

That being said, I am in the advertising design business and the majority of my clients aren't working with design programs. They only have to be able to open PDF's. The printing and publishing companies I work with are all Mac based companies from when the jobs hit their server (Mac Servers) until it is digitally output onto plates for the presses.

I have also never had problems sending files to my CPA or attorney and having them open the files.

Now, IF I was in another line of work, I could see where there may be compatibility issues as far as what software is being used - especially in fields such as engineering. I also agree that many software companies haven't written Mac versions of their software in the past - especially all the software companies specializing in such important software as, say, GAMES. (Okay, that was a little sarcastic.)

But my point is, that your statement is not COMPLETELY accurate.

As for the cost of a Mac as compared to a PC, I'd say you would still have to compare apples to apples (no pun intended). Two years ago, when I bought my current desktop (2.4 Gig Dual Processor G5) a friend of mine bought a new PC desktop for about a $1,000 less. He then spent another $900 on upgrades to get it comparable to what my Mac could do.

One final point on the price of the Macs being higher than PC's. A Porsche cost more than a Hyundai. If you can afford it, which you would rather drive?

AD720
04-03-2009, 06:48 AM
:tpd:

I'll you have to do is remember to check "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" in Mail.app. That will take care of most of the file incompatibility that gets complained about. Beyond that a jpeg is a jpeg, a PDF is a PDF and a rich text file is a rich text file. :2

Lately I've been leaving leaving my work laptop in the dock on my desk and Remote Desktop-ing in to it from my mac. Combine that with the FTP server running on my PC and it's like I'm sitting there.

04-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Excuse me. You are making a blanket statement which is not accurate.

I use nothing but Mac's and I have never had a compatibility issue because I am using a Mac and 90 percent of my clients use Windows-based boxes. I've never had problems doing FTP or other transfers of files between my computers and people who I am sending files to.

That being said, I am in the advertising design business and the majority of my clients aren't working with design programs. They only have to be able to open PDF's. The printing and publishing companies I work with are all Mac based companies from when the jobs hit their server (Mac Servers) until it is digitally output onto plates for the presses.

I have also never had problems sending files to my CPA or attorney and having them open the files.

Now, IF I was in another line of work, I could see where there may be compatibility issues as far as what software is being used - especially in fields such as engineering. I also agree that many software companies haven't written Mac versions of their software in the past - especially all the software companies specializing in such important software as, say, GAMES. (Okay, that was a little sarcastic.)

But my point is, that your statement is not COMPLETELY accurate.

As for the cost of a Mac as compared to a PC, I'd say you would still have to compare apples to apples (no pun intended). Two years ago, when I bought my current desktop (2.4 Gig Dual Processor G5) a friend of mine bought a new PC desktop for about a $1,000 less. He then spent another $900 on upgrades to get it comparable to what my Mac could do.

One final point on the price of the Macs being higher than PC's. A Porsche cost more than a Hyundai. If you can afford it, which you would rather drive?

First my statement wasn't 100% inclusive or exclusive. Also, I made a slight mistatement. What I meant was if you buy a MAC at some time you will most likely have some sort of compatibility issues. If an app you want isn't written for MAC, that too is a compatibility issue. File formats are one than can be annoying, but an application you want/need that isn't written for MAC is sometimes a deal-breaker.

In your line of work MACs are well embedded. That is their sweetspot (graphic design and/or desktop publishing). Adobe products used to be primarily written for MAC.

What I'm saying is MACs are the minority and deal with minority issues like compatibility, software availability, etc. You will NOT have that problem with a PC. Also, while MACs may be stronger at the sweetspots mentioned above, both can be done very similarly if not exactly the same on a PC. You'd be hard pressed to find an application written for a MAC that is not also written for a PC. The opposite is not true. There are many apps that are available for PCs that are not written for MACs. This cannot be disputed.

MACs are more expensive. While that price gap has narrowed a bit due to MAC adopting the Intel processors, the gap still exists.

I just don't understand why the average user (not graphic designer) would put themselves into that minority of their own volition. Sure there are some cool new ways to so PC stuff on a MAC but not all MAC users have that kind of savvy.

To end my rant similarly, MACs may indeed be like a Porche: Nice to look at but, expensive, impractical, and not as fast as a Corvette that costs 25% less.

:tg

04-03-2009, 07:20 AM
BTW, I mean no ill will in my rants. I am just debating the two and having fun. I know sometimes tone is hard to determine so I wanted to make sure no offense is taken.

04-03-2009, 07:25 AM
:tpd:

I'll you have to do is remember to check "Send Windows Friendly Attachments" in Mail.app. That will take care of most of the file incompatibility that gets complained about. Beyond that a jpeg is a jpeg, a PDF is a PDF and a rich text file is a rich text file. :2

Lately I've been leaving leaving my work laptop in the dock on my desk and Remote Desktop-ing in to it from my mac. Combine that with the FTP server running on my PC and it's like I'm sitting there.

A good friend of mine had a MAC and an older Windows laptop with a broken screen. Half the time he was RDP'ing into the laptop because his stupid game wouldn't work on his MAC. Then he would brag about how great his MAC was. IMO, it's cheating to lean on one and sing the praises of the other. If you have both you have no limitations.

:2

AD720
04-03-2009, 08:24 AM
A good friend of mine had a MAC and an older Windows laptop with a broken screen. Half the time he was RDP'ing into the laptop because his stupid game wouldn't work on his MAC. Then he would brag about how great his MAC was. IMO, it's cheating to lean on one and sing the praises of the other. If you have both you have no limitations.

:2

You might have missed my post earlier when I said the reason I have a PC is due to some industry software that doesn't exist for OSX.

Now whose fault is that - Apples or the software companies? You can't blame Apple for people not writing the software.

My response to your post was in defense of your blanket "file incompatablity" arguement. Please tell which specfic file was incompatable.

By the way my Mac IS great. If I'm bragging so be it. :D:fu

AD720
04-03-2009, 08:33 AM
BTW, I mean no ill will in my rants. I am just debating the two and having fun. I know sometimes tone is hard to determine so I wanted to make sure no offense is taken.

:tu Same here.

And sorry to the OP for jacking the crap out of your thread.:r

GKitty
04-03-2009, 08:59 AM
"Take Thaaaat you POS!"

I'm sure the rest of this thread is fascinating from a technological standpoint, but everything else pales in comparison to this post.

:r :r :wo

macpappy
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM

I didn't even take your previous posts for being rants so I surely didn't see or perceive any ill will.

And I almost asked which you would rather drive a Corvette or a Hyundai. My point being that both will get you from point A to point B, but one is more comfortable, faster and fun than the other.

I have used Macs since 1986 and that is because of the type of work I have done which has predominately been in the graphic design/journalism/photography world. That being said, I worked as the executive assistant for a marine insurance adjuster for two years and our entire office was Mac based - including the bookkeeper. We also dealt with law firms that were all Mac based.

macpappy
04-03-2009, 10:33 AM

BTW. Arguing whether Mac is better than a PC is like arguing which premium cigar you like better. I depends on the person.

Whee
04-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Three three taboos...

Politics, religion and Mac vs PC..nothing good can come from this:r

Hardcz
04-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Linux is where it's at!

04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
BTW. Arguing whether Mac is better than a PC is like arguing which premium cigar you like better. I depends on the person.

I agree 100% with this statement.

04-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Three three taboos...

Politics, religion and Mac vs PC..nothing good can come from this:r

At least we aren't getting our paties in a bunch. :D

...not that I own or wear panties.:jd

AD720
04-03-2009, 12:34 PM
At least we aren't getting our paties in a bunch. :D

...not that I own or wear panties.:jd

Going commando huh? :fu

yellowgoat
04-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Wow! this thread went to uncharted waters. :r

I been looking and messing with all kinds of computers. One that I thought was really cool and might just keep me with windows was a HP TouchSmart with 8gb ram and a 500gb HD. But the Macs are so cool! It's gonna take more reading and hands on fiddling before I buy anything. I'm using a crappy comp right now that's missing a hand full of keys and the screen is not the best.

The one that got murdered was a dell xps 1012 and for the life of me couldn't get to install SP1. I've read about Vista having problems with Mc caffe and thats what was not allowing SP1 to install so I uninstalled Mc Cafee and tried with no luck. Re installs and crashes, errors really just got me to the boiling point with everything else the dang things been doing and I guess I had to get a little steam out from me personal life on top of it. The planets were aligned and told me to kill the Dell! :hf

No, p@rn sites were not browsed with my computers! I fear them like the plague! They are the plague.

I'm still looking. Narrowing it down to a few now.

Cheers!

yellowgoat
04-14-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm still a PC guy.

I will buy an Asus G50VT-B1 today or tomorrow - 15.4" WSXGA+ Glossy (1680x1050), CPU: Core 2 Duo T9550 2.66GHz, RAM: 4096 MB DDR2 800MHz, HDD: 640GB 7200RPM (2x320GB), nVidia GeForce 9800M GS 512MB PCI-Express DDR3 DX10 .

If you know of something better for gaming for $1500 let me know.

04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
For gaming you can't beat a build it yourself PC.

yellowgoat
04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
For gaming you can't beat a build it yourself PC.

I will do that next as I didn't buy a gaming PC.

Today I bought a HP 16-1140US and it is awesome. It does have a nice graphics card (nVidia GeForce 9600M GT 512mb) and great sound for a laptop! Upgradeable memory to 8gb but it came with 4gb. Has a big bright and pretty screen and a HDMI port for playing some games on my 65inch DLP.

I'm really happy with this one. I won't destroy this one for a long time. :hf

Cheers!