PDA

View Full Version : Interresting article on the results of S-CHIP

Made in Dade
04-01-2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation/AP/story/978345.html

landhoney
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
"Paul Hull, an American Cancer Society spokesman in Florida, said tobacco takes such a toll on health care, it's only fair that all companies contribute.

"For the most part, connoisseurs of cigars tend to be in a higher socio-economic class anyway," he said. "It's hard to imagine this will have an effect on them."" - Quote from article

It's hard to imagine this will have an effect on them....heck let's just tax them until they make the median income. :mad:

And I thought cigars were a slippery slope. :rolleyes:

Java
04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I could say how against this I am, mainly because it affects all of us cigar smokers. But the government does stuff like this all the time. Its wealth redistribution, and frankly I don't feel like starting some long ass thread about why the government makes poor decisions.

Whee
04-01-2009, 10:17 AM
"Paul Hull, an American Cancer Society spokesman in Florida, said tobacco takes such a toll on health care, it's only fair that all companies contribute.

"For the most part, connoisseurs of cigars tend to be in a higher socio-economic class anyway," he said. "It's hard to imagine this will have an effect on them."" - Quote from article

It's hard to imagine this will have an effect on them....heck let's just tax them until they make the median income. They are a natural resource that has not been fully tapped, and it has gone untapped for long enough.
:mad:

And I thought cigars were a slippery slope. :rolleyes:

Wow, I feel better to know that I am in a higher socio-economic class. Think he'd call my creditors and tell them that?

What an idiot...

Drat
04-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Wow, somebody's reality is warped by movies and cartoons. We're all evil villains who wear capes too...

Java
04-01-2009, 10:20 AM
My guess is he isn't a cigar smoker.

shortstory5
04-01-2009, 10:21 AM

Wow. This was just a terribly ignorant thing to say...

Made in Dade
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I see it everyday, not everyone that smokes cigars have alot of money. I know many people who don't spend over $4 a cigar.

Java, you are correct our gov't does $hit like this all the time.

Smokin Gator
04-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I loath when I hear someone talking about a business/industry being taxed!!! Business do not pay taxes... they pass them on. People pay taxes.

G G
04-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I loath when I hear someone talking about a business/industry being taxed!!! Business do not pay taxes... they pass them on. People pay taxes.
:tpd:

landhoney
04-01-2009, 10:34 AM
"The cigar industry has pretty much gotten a free ride for decades," said Paul Hull, a vice president with the society's (Cancer) Florida division. "Increasing the prices reduces consumption. We consider that a major win."

From an '07 article:

http://cache.zoominfo.com/CachedPage/?archive_id=0&page_id=2044352052&page_url=%2f%2fwww.orlandosentinel.com%2ffeatures% 2fconsumer%2forl-cigars2207jul22%2c0%2c5253465.story&page_last_updated=7%2f23%2f2007+5%3a54%3a25+AM&firstName=Paul&lastName=Hull

Made in Dade
04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
"The cigar industry has pretty much gotten a free ride for decades," said Paul Hull, a vice president with the society's (Cancer) Florida division. "Increasing the prices reduces consumption. We consider that a major win."

From an '07 article:

http://cache.zoominfo.com/CachedPage/?archive_id=0&page_id=2044352052&page_url=%2f%2fwww.orlandosentinel.com%2ffeatures% 2fconsumer%2forl-cigars2207jul22%2c0%2c5253465.story&page_last_updated=7%2f23%2f2007+5%3a54%3a25+AM&firstName=Paul&lastName=Hull

Good find Seth

WildBlueSooner
04-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Wow, I feel better to know that I am in a higher socio-economic class. Think he'd call my creditors and tell them that?

What an idiot...

WE'RE ALL RICH!

http://static.pyzam.com/img/funnypics/people/richguy.jpg

Beer Doctor
04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
This may not be the last cigar price hike. Legislatures in several states, including New York, Wisconsin and California, are considering raising their state tobacco tax to help in the wake of declining revenue.

:bs

Jbailey
04-01-2009, 01:40 PM
I know they want to double MI tobacco tax from 32% to 64%! :bs

I know I'm by no means in a higher higher socio-economic class. I do agree with Wow, somebody's reality is warped by movies and cartoons. We're all evil villains who wear capes too... and lumping everyone in the same group. (not to self stop wearing my cape)

I've been hearing how the FDA will soon be in charge of tobacco and again adding another tax to help pay for for all those new jobs. Got love a tax on a tax on a tax on a tax.

Tio Gato
04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for sharing this Miami Herald story.
I remember when I was little asking my Dad why everyone was so mad at Fidel Castro. He said it was because everyone supported him for change, but when he won, he turned out to be a communist.
It's deja vu all over again.:mad:

Oh I've got to run, I can't seem to find any of the domestic staff to flick the ash on my affluent connoisseur cigar! Prehaps I'll hire one of those parents who has uninsured kids to flick my ash. Then they can buy their own health insurance and not put any of the hard working people in this story out of work!

poker
04-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Lets not turn this into something ugly.

Lets leave any politics or political views out of this.

Tio Gato
04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Oppps!
Sorry 'bout that. I was going down that road for sure. I feel so :bh that I get so :fl that I wanna :pu.