PDA

View Full Version : Pack your bags for Cuba!!!

Blueface
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Just heard in the news in South Florida.
Found this article.
Seems two bills introduced to allow Americans to travel to Cuba.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/31/cuba.travel/

Let's see what happens.

Footbag
03-31-2009, 03:32 PM
The VP made some interesting comments in the past few days as well. First he said the embargo will not be lifted soon, but then he implied they are willing to lift the embargo but want human/civil rights concessions from Cuba.

Either way, I expect to get a much clearer idea of whats going on during next months Latin America summit. This is where the real news will be made.

Jbailey
03-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Very cool Carlos, maybe we can plan a Cuba herf sometime down the road.

GreekGodX
03-31-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't need to travel to Cuba (they don't allow internet access which would be brutal on my time there) they just need to lift the trade embargo!

The Communist government is killing the citizens of Cuba. They have had some high praise from other countries on their contributions to other countries (ie Nelson Mandela). Now if they could just understand how to treat their own, the embargo would be lifted.

Footbag
03-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Very cool Carlos, maybe we can plan a Cuba herf sometime down the road.

Cuba HERF! I'm so there!:tu

karmaz00
03-31-2009, 03:35 PM
interesting to see

Blueface
03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
they don't allow internet access which would be brutal on my time there

Just wait and see what happens with that the moment US travel is allowed.
Besides, Cubans have internet. Just not legally.

Blueface
03-31-2009, 03:37 PM
For me, things changed recently allowing me to go once a year.
Problem is I have to go with a Cuban passport, not recognized as a US Citizen.
I have worked too hard my whole life and have my whole family near me to risk that.

Footbag
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't need to travel to Cuba (they don't allow internet access which would be brutal on my time there) they just need to lift the trade embargo!

The Communist government is killing the citizens of Cuba. They have had some high praise from other countries on their contributions to other countries (ie Nelson Mandela). Now if they could just understand how to treat their own, the embargo would be lifted.

Hotel Nacional has Internet in Executive/business offices, but not in-room.

GreekGodX
03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
The point is internet is not readily available like it is here. Cuba doesn't allow its citizens to have internet. Between my Blackberry/Ipod Touch/Laptop I'm always connected in some way. It was a sarcastic comment as I would definitely visit if I could. I have relatives from Canada who have been and love it.

I just don't see how they could lift the travel embargo and not lift the trade embargo. As I understand it is illegal for an American to buy any Cuban product. If you are traveling in Cuba and there is still a trade embargo, you would be breaking the law with any purchase.

Blueface
03-31-2009, 03:48 PM
I just don't see how they could lift the travel embargo and not lift the trade embargo. As I understand it is illegal for an American to buy any Cuban product. If you are traveling in Cuba and there is still a trade embargo, you would be breaking the law with any purchase.

I would venture to safely say both are gone with this bill.
You cannot say you cannot spend money in Cuba or on Cuban products but you can travel there.
By virtue of travel there, you have to spend money on their economy.

I am ready.
Travel first week visiting where wife and I grew up (La Habana for me, Pinal del Rio/Vuelta Abajo area for her) and seeing family.
Second week? HERF!!!

GreekGodX
03-31-2009, 03:52 PM
For me, things changed recently allowing me to go once a year.
Problem is I have to go with a Cuban passport, not recognized as a US Citizen.
I have worked too hard my whole life and have my whole family near me to risk that.

By going back to Cuba once a year, what is the limit on length of stay? Also I'm unfamiliar with the military laws there, but if you are there for an extended time could they take you into the army? Are there other reasons they can keep you from coming back to the U.S?

My Father was born in Greece and left before he did his mandatory time in the Greek Army (so that he could attend an American college, not dodge the gov). In Greece all born, male citizens have to serve in the army for 3years (I'm pretty sure on the time). Is this similar in Cuba?

Blueface
03-31-2009, 03:57 PM
By going back to Cuba once a year, what is the limit on length of stay? Also I'm unfamiliar with the military laws there, but if you are there for an extended time could they take you into the army? Are there other reasons they can keep you from coming back to the U.S?

Until recently, travel time there was limited to 10 days.
Now, unlimited, but you need to secure a permit for the time through the Treasury Department. As to what they could do with you, who knows? That is why I don't go. I don't know what it is they may end up choosing to do with me and won't have the US to back me.

My Father was born in Greece and left before he did his mandatory time in the Greek Army (so that he could attend an American college, not dodge the gov). In Greece all born, male citizens have to serve in the army for 3years (I'm pretty sure on the time). Is this similar in Cuba?

Until recently, travel time there was limited to 10 days.
Now, unlimited, but you need to secure a permit for the time through the Treasury Department. As to what they could do with you, who knows? That is why I don't go. I don't know what it is they may end up choosing to do with me and won't have the US to back me.

Cuba not only has mandatory military for all but also has mandatory sugar cane cutting for all. Young kids are taken to the sugar cane fields as part of a government program that all feel patriotic about doing. Or better yet, are told they are patriotic about doing.

Blueface
03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Holy Cow!!!

I figured it out.

The new tobacco tax?
Open relations with Cuba?
Cuban tobacco products legally imported?
Taxes on that tobacco?

WOW!!!

Get those Siglo VI and EL's before they cost more than a SMART car.

M1903A1
03-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Holy Cow!!!

I figured it out.

The new tobacco tax?
Open relations with Cuba?
Cuban tobacco products legally imported?
Taxes on that tobacco?

WOW!!!

Get those Siglo VI and EL's before they cost more than a SMART car.

You mean somebody in Washington is finally THINKING? :eek: :rolleyes: :ss

MedicCook
03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Does anyone mind packing me in their checked luggage?

Blueface
03-31-2009, 04:35 PM

:r
No way.
I will need the room to sneak in some non-Cubans in case all I find there are plugged.:r

Footbag
03-31-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't mind, I'll be bringing an extra empty suitcase. But it's gonna be full for the return trip!:ss

MedicCook
03-31-2009, 04:39 PM
I won't mind staying down there. Maybe meet me a beautiful Cuban woman. :r

Cyanide
03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
You know, if all these Americans start going to Cuba, its going to drive the prices up for my cigars!

Maybe you guys down south need to force another vote. ;)

Blueface
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
I won't mind staying down there. Maybe meet me a beautiful Cuban woman. :r

Here are two for you that are available and even smoke cigars.:r:r:r

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/CubanWomen.jpg

Blueface
03-31-2009, 04:50 PM
You know, if all these Americans start going to Cuba, its going to drive the prices up for my cigars!

Maybe you guys down south need to force another vote. ;)

Don't worry. NJ's Menendez is taking care of that.

qwerty1500
03-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Totally understand the concerns about the government there. But, I can't help myself ... I'd love to be on the first plane.

Take a look at the wallpaper on my computer desktop...

Blueface
03-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Totally understand the concerns about the government there. But, I can't help myself ... I'd love to be on the first plane.

Take a look at the wallpaper on my computer desktop...

:r

Boy would I love to see that as I travel so often through so many airports.
That would be cool and the possible sight of this brings a tear to my eyes.

Beagleone
03-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Two of my buddies went to Cuba last month on an OFAC trade license, but had a good time while putting around Havana. They stayed at Molina Cohiba and they had internet access. Cell phone, of course, did not work. The regs read that you are allowed to spend up to $50 USD but that it had to go into a special controlled account. They of course didn't do that. At the hotel, they traded their USD in at the front desk for CDC. They would hand over $100 USD for about $80 CDC. There was no trading back, so they budgeted appropriately. As for how things are, they were pretty bad, as we expected. They spent $5 on a dor earred box and some plastic to build a makeshift cooler to put their beer in while they went out to Robaina's farm. The people at the shop went crazy over the cooler.

Carlos, you organize the herf, James and I will be there!!!

Beagleone
03-31-2009, 07:59 PM

http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/imageshuman-2dluggage-2d500x356.jpg

GreekGodX
03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Please tell me that is your gf/wife or someone you know and you didn't just find that online! that is hot lol

Blueface
03-31-2009, 08:15 PM
T

Carlos, you organize the herf, James and I will be there!!!

Tony,
Don't think I can guarantee you a roasted pig at that one.
Don't even thing there are pigs left in Cuba.
The last one was eaten long ago.

M1903A1
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Tony,

Sigh...we will have a lot of rebuilding to do (on many levels) down there....

Footbag
04-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I hate to say it, but given the number of sponsors and who they are, I think this bill has a very good chance. As long as there aren't any shenanigans, this thing may actually pass. Being that were talking politics though, I think shenanigans are likely, but we'll see.

floydpink
04-02-2009, 06:05 PM

I sincerely hope you are kidding. If you went there and missed surfing the internet I feel sorry for you.

rizzle
04-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Tony,

Surely you jest.

Blueface
04-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Surely you jest.

Sure do jest but really not very far from the truth.

We heard in South Florida news yesterday "Americans are planning trips to Cuba already".

I really think this thing is going to pass.

Was talking to dad yesterday telling him the moment I can go as an American Citizen, I am there. I will be in line to be amongst the first. Sadly, he doesn't share the same joy. Dad is quite concerned with a document they made him sign at the time he left. He was forced to sign a document denouncing his ability to ever return to Cuba and if he did, he would face a prison sentence.

When we talk about the beauty of Cuba, the cigars, the rum, etc., it is tragic events such as my father and that document that folks have no clue about and can never understand why some Cubans feel so strongly against the bill that is about to be passed.

Then I realized, holy crap, we have the same name. I hope they don't confuse me for my dad.

the nub
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Lots of pigs and lots of internet access down there. Maybe not for the locals but the tourists and CUC can buy most anything.

rizzle
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Sure do jest but really not very far from the truth.

We heard in South Florida news yesterday "Americans are planning trips to Cuba already".

I really think this thing is going to pass.

Was talking to dad yesterday telling him the moment I can go as an American Citizen, I am there. I will be in line to be amongst the first. Sadly, he doesn't share the same joy. Dad is quite concerned with a document they made him sign at the time he left. He was forced to sign a document denouncing his ability to ever return to Cuba and if he did, he would face a prison sentence.

When we talk about the beauty of Cuba, the cigars, the rum, etc., it is tragic events such as my father and that document that folks have no clue about and can never understand why some Cubans feel so strongly against the bill that is about to be passed.

Then I realized, holy crap, we have the same name. I hope they don't confuse me for my dad.
Understood. And when you take a step or two back and think about what a "simple" purchase of cigars is really doing...makes you think about what you're furthering. At least it does for me.