PDA

View Full Version : Goviada Chico

markem
03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
GDW cigars (AndyMadera (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/member.php?u=585)) has started a new vitola named Goviada. Andy gifted us a bunch of the chicos at the last Stumptown herf. I promised a review, but am late getting it done. Here it is.

Like all GDW cigars, this is a beautiful cigar with a flawless wrapper. The wrapper looks like a Connecticut with a nice ecru shade. The burn is flawless and even.

Prelight draw was smooth, but not loose. It lights easily and stays lit. I'd say that this chico size is about a 45 minute smoke.

After lighting, the initial draw is very reminiscienct of the MiraFlor, also a GDW product. Very spicy with just a touch of grass. The wrapper gives it a slightly sweet taste that fades in the first 1/2 inch. The pepper and grass is very dominant in the first 1/4 inch. I'd say that at this stage it is on the lighter side of full bodied.

After the first 1/4 inch, the smoke settles into its rhythm. It mellows to the full range of medium and is very pleasant on the sinuses. The wrapper no longer has a sweet taste, but a little grassy on the tongue.

The smoke is very reminiscience of the Padron 1964 el Prinicpe. Mellow, but full with strong pepper, some grass and just a hint of chocolate. This profile stays firm all the way to the nub.

I'd say that the Goviada is the little brother to the more intense MiraFlor. It's a great change of pace smoke and seems to me to be a stellar lunch time smoke. The grassy sweetness stays with you for a while after smoking, which is a good plus in my book.

I'm not big on number schemes, but I'd rate this one fairly high if I was. Instead, let me point out that of the over 70 boxes of cigars I own, the only ones that I consistently would stock are Tatuaje, Padron, the MiraFlor and now the Goviada.

Andy has another winner here. I hope that everyone gets to try one soon and especially in this chico size.

BengalMan
03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
I smoked this stick a few nights ago, I agree, VERY GOOD.

elderboy02
03-30-2009, 09:56 PM
I just had the robusto today and I really liked it. I hope to write a review on one of the other sizes. I couldn't do one tonight b/c I had to work late. Nice cigar Andy! :tu