PDA

View Full Version : Promise Ring, did you buy your daughter one?

kgoings
03-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Ladies, did your dad get you one?

My daughter is 13 going on 31, my wife mentioned getting her a promise ring. Just wondering if any other Dads did this, what they thought of it, what did you look for?

ashtonlady
03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I didn't get one, but my daughter got one that say, True Love Waits. She is now 20 and she is waiting. But with that comes a talk to help them understand why it is good to wait.

RGD.
03-29-2009, 10:16 PM
You know - mainstream traditional uses of the promise ring are for kinda like pre-engagement rings. Obviously you don't fall into this category - so the question, as etiquette would dictate, what is the purpose you would want to give one to her for (don't need to answer that question here). Promise rings are suppose to be given with an exact purpose. And they really can be anything - single set stone, heart shaped, single bands, birthstones, etc - but they really don't cost a lot. Couple hundred bucks at the most.

And I would say unless there is a real specific reason for just you to give her a ring - it should really come from the both of you.

Also - don't be upset if she doesn't know what a promise ring is - most of today's kids are not really up on etiquette like they were 30, 40 50 years ago.

And no - I didn't buy them for either of my daughters.

Ron

Wolfgang
03-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Im 20 and I think it is a wonderful idea. Only thing is don't make it seem like a punishment.

kgoings
03-29-2009, 10:59 PM
So I have only heard of them from TV. I googled promise ring, and I think I was thinking more of a purity ring I guess is what they call it. An agreement to remain abstinent till the ring is replaced with a wedding ring.

kgoings
03-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Im 20 and I think it is a wonderful idea. Only thing is don't make it seem like a punishment.

Agreed!

kgoings
03-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I didn't get one, but my daughter got one that say, True Love Waits. She is now 20 and she is waiting. But with that comes a talk to help them understand why it is good to wait.

Yes we have talked alot, and we are very open with our daughters. But I was thinking that with the 'purity ring' would show that I was more than just talk.

Cigary
03-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Yes we have talked alot, and we are very open with our daughters. But I was thinking that with the 'purity ring' would show that I was more than just talk.

Sounds like you are a great Father to go the "extra mile" and discussing things like this with your daughter. I remember when my daughter was growing up and she is nearly 30 now and we sat down to talk about the issues of the day and having respect for herself and not giving into the peer pressure of the day.

I use to kid with her and told her I was setting up a date for her to be measured for a chastity belt,,,,she didn't laugh. Some kids just don't have a sense of humor at that age.:dance:

tenbaseg
03-30-2009, 05:11 AM
My daughter is 8 months old. I can't handle even thinking about this.

Mark C
03-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Buy her the ring, and yourself a shotgun. Make sure she knows the purpose for each :)

silentjon
03-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Buy her the ring, and yourself a shotgun. Make sure she knows the purpose for each :)

:tu

germantown rob
03-30-2009, 05:43 AM
I thought this was going to be about South Parks season opener. :(

I have a big plan for when my little angel gets older. It involves plastic and news paper on the floor, an assortment of my guns on the table being cleaned, me in tighty whities drinking a bud (which I will pour out and fill with better brew) and a stern hello to the boy picking her up. That and a chastity belt should do the trick!

Pitmaster
03-30-2009, 05:47 AM
We just got my daughter a purity ring for her 16th birthday, by her request. Once in a while they stilll make your proud and suprise you with their good common sense.
Signed,
Proud Dad

morefifemusic
03-30-2009, 05:57 AM
I thought this was going to be about South Parks season opener. :(

I have a big plan for when my little angel gets older. It involves plastic and news paper on the floor, an assortment of my guns on the table being cleaned, me in tighty whities drinking a bud (which I will pour out and fill with better brew) and a stern hello to the boy picking her up. That and a chastity belt should do the trick!

:tu

Don't forget to smoke a stogie or a pipe. :ss

I think the promise/purity ring is a nice idea IF the daughter understands what it means and IF the daughter ascribes to those ideas.

IMHO, it is meaningless to get a daughter a promise ring if she has no reserves about sexual activity.

I will probably get my daughters promise rings, but it more comes down to instilling those ideas in the daughters to start with. Otherwise the promise ring will be meaningless or look like a punishment.

-Tyler

tsolomon
03-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Yes I have a daughter and she's 23, so I'll rock the boat and say no, I wouldn't buy one unless she asked for it. The why gets into all the various cliques and peer groups that you have to deal with at that age. I'm not sure that I would want my daughter to have to explain to the group why my parents gave me a promise ring that she didn't ask for. From my point of view, trust and keeping the lines of communications open between you and your daughter is the most important thing. The sex talk is good as well as the knowing when to leave talk. This is when the group she is with thinks about doing something stupid like drugs or shoplifting. It's the pick your battle approach to child rearing, where teaching them to think and make good decisions is what you have to rely on to get them through the teenage years.

My next question would be the one about what did growing up. Did you wait? This applies to sex, drugs and about anything else you would tell your kid not to do. For parents, it is a real dilemma; did you tell the truth about what you did growing up when asked? I know a lot of parents who have had to make this decision and it has gone both ways. We choose truth, but we left out the details. For us, it came down to trust and that goes both ways.

Blueface
03-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Folks,
Grandad with a 21 yr old daughter as the mother.

Some may disagree with what I am about to say and it is your preference to do so.

Don't be blind.
Don't be fooled.
Check your screens on your windows for damage. If you think they are in bed, they may actually instead be out and about, and trust me, they do this. So, if they do this, what do you think about sex?

As hard as I tried, as disciplined as I was with my children as old fashioned as my wife is, kids will do as they see best. After all, remember, you don't blow up from having sex and it is actually quite enjoyable. If we enjoy it, they do to. If we get turned on by making out with a person that you are attracted to, they do too.

So...........provide them with the necessary education, instill good values and wait to see what that roulette wheel does and where it lands. It is out of your control beyond that.

While I am not proud of what my daughter did based on my old school conservative values, I love my grandson dearly, I have no grudge towards my daughter and I support her fully. It was her choice, not mine.

BTW, I have a family member that thinks his 22 yr old daughter is a virgin.
My kids say differently, with whom she has been forthright and confessed.
So, I say nothing to her dad. I let him live that fantasy. Meantime, I am sure he looks down on me for my "misfortune".

morefifemusic
03-30-2009, 08:58 AM
My next question would be the one about what did growing up. Did you wait? This applies to sex, drugs and about anything else you would tell your kid not to do. For parents, it is a real dilemma; did you tell the truth about what you did growing up when asked? I know a lot of parents who have had to make this decision and it has gone both ways. We choose truth, but we left out the details. For us, it came down to trust and that goes both ways.

Very good point!

Blueface
03-30-2009, 09:28 AM
To summarize my earlier post, two options as I see it:

1) Know the truth and the truth may not be what you would like to hear.
2) Pretend you are being told the truth - that nothing is going on.

Frankly, hard to imagine anything other than that.

No one wants to imagine their kid not telling the truth.
As Judge Judy so eloquently puts it, you know when teenagers are not telling the truth? When they move their lips.

MedicCook
03-30-2009, 09:59 AM
I have 3 little girls and I do not even want to think about them being teenagers.

rizzle
03-30-2009, 10:01 AM
My TWO are 4 months. And :tpd:

weasel
03-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I belive some recent research sugested that those who had pledged abstinence (and got the ring etc), actually became sexually active earlier than those who didn't.

I can't find a link for it at this time - so it could be :bs

morefifemusic
03-30-2009, 10:39 AM
I belive some recent research sugested that those who had pledged abstinence (and got the ring etc), actually became sexually active earlier than those who didn't.

I can't find a link for it at this time - so it could be :bs

There are probably examples either way.

My wife and I felt it was important to remain sexually pure before marriage, so we put the boundaries at not even kissing before marriage. That is a bit extreme, and it was very difficult, but we can honestly tell our children that it can be done.

Either way, I think a promise ring and talk is just "smoke" to the teens if they don't share your convictions.

It would be like me telling all of you that you should remain "sexually pure" until marriage. Doesn't mean a damn if you don't believe what I do even though I have the experience to say it can be done and feel strongly about it.

dunng
03-30-2009, 10:59 AM

Is it too early to get my 3yr old one? :D

loki
03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
i've seen both sides of this and if you're leaving this upto a ring you've already failed. please note i'm saying anything directly about the TS here. Talk with her, express your views that she should wait till marriage, wait till she's really in love, whatever your views here are. If she wants the ring get her one, if not then don't.

Just know that even if she shares your views now, she may not in 3+ years. Keep talking to her about it but let her know that when she decides the time is right she should be safe and you hope that she feels comfortable talking to you about it. ring or no ring you need to talk to her. *

*this advice is coming from someone with no kids, who doesn't want kids, and hopes to never have kids. Though I do teach highschool, i'm only 26 and I've had more then a few g/fs and seen several different parenting styles

Blueface
03-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Doesn't mean a damn if you don't believe what I do even though I have the experience to say it can be done and feel strongly about it.

Interesting.
Congrats to you for sticking with your convictions.

While it can be done, as with anything, like say go to Harvard and graduate number one in your class, as difficult as the latter is, I find your the task you achieved that much more difficult. I further find that to expect many to uphold that similar set of values in today's world is unrealistic. Certainly shoot for the stars but realize a pea shooter may not get you there. Realize that while that was important to you, the fond memories of sitting under a tree with my wife when we were initially falling in love and making out is something very natural you chose to miss out on but the majority really won't.

It is amazing how one event can change your life, your opinions and how you perceive things from there on in. When I learned of my daughter's situation, I was floored and the wife and I were depressed for months.
Now? I realize what a blessing my grandson has turned out to be. He is my life and that of my wife.

I now realize that my values are just that, my values.
My children have their own minds and have their own sets of values, hopefully more in line with mine, but absolutely 100% theirs. I learned I should not judge them but rather accept them for what they are, individuals with their own sets of values. I learned to love them and support them regardless of not doing what I thought was right and wrong, especially someone older than 18, who can be asked to fight for the freedom of this great land.
She is a wonderful mother and acting and looking more like her mother every day.

I have a colleague who just learned her 15 yr old is having sex. This person is a good, conservative person with deep rooted values. Happens to all of us. It is not cancer, it is not a life threatening condition. It is sex. Something we all enjoy.

So folks, my message to you all on this is be realistic. Convey your thoughts, morals, values, etc. However, expect them to act according to what they want to do and realize that perhaps this whole not having sex thing is a lie for the most part. This is coming to you from a guy that was totally fooled in believing his daughter was not having sex. I was not born yesterday and am no dummy. If it happened to me, it is happening to you.
Also remember, as defined by our former President Bill, their interpretation of sex may not be the same as yours.

morefifemusic
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Also remember, as defined by our former President Bill, their interpretation of sex may not be the same as yours.

Too true. I teach middle school and have learned that many teens who insist they are "abstinent" do not consider oral sex to be contradictory to that.

I agree that not even kissing before marriage is waaaay extreme. I have many friends who are not married and engage in that and more. The not kissing for us was not based on a moral aversion to kissing. Lacking self-discipline myself, it was where we decided we needed to draw the line to achieve our real goal of no sex before marriage.

I find it interesting that the topic of religion has not been brought up in this interesting discussion.

It really matters WHY you think abstinence is important and do your children also ascribe to that belief.

For instance, I believe it is taught in the bible and right for living a christian life (you may disagree or not). If my children are ascribing to christian values and desire to live a godly life as I believe it to be defined in the bible, then their view of sex before marriage doesn't matter; I should be encouraging them to remain abstinent as a function of their belief.

To me, this goes beyond the "sex before marriage is bad" idea. If my teens do not believe as I do, then there is no motivation for them to remain abstinent. This argument particularly applies to things such as sex and drugs, both of which have a lot of pleasure associated with them and which are automatically reinforcing behaviors.

Bottom line, if you don't believe what I believe, there is no reason or need for us to agree (though we may agree). Same is true for our children.

Blueface
03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
i'
Just know that even if she shares your views now, she may not in 3+ years. Keep talking to her about it but let her know that when she decides the time is right she should be safe and you hope that she feels comfortable talking to you about it. ring or no ring you need to talk to her. *

You are so on point.
Looking back, I often wonder what I could have done differently.
Monday morning quarterbacking is something that will haunt parents invariably. You always try to make the right decision but can so many times wonder how else you could have handled it and hopefully learn from that.
I don't think girls will open up frankly to dads on this subject. You will likely get lies. I think moms need to take a better approach during those critical years. The problem is that most kids in their teens see their parents as the enemy since you are trying to steer them in your direction and not necessarily in the one they may wish to go to. Most girls see moms as a battle ground. The challenge is to break all that down.

shilala
03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
My Rebekah is 12 going on 21. She's made the decision on her own and we've talked about it at length.
I hope it sticks.
I think the ring is a nice idea. Never heard of it. I bet she'd treasure it.

WildBlueSooner
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
I think wearing a ring to signify a decision like that one is a little weird! But other than that I think the most important thing is to talk to them about sex. Do not make it some mystery, or seem dirty and bad. Let them know why sex is important and why it is important to wait. Making sex seem scary does not work! Kind of got off topic there...I apologize, but scaring kids about things sex and drugs is ineffective in my opinion. It is educating and discussing these things that works!

morefifemusic
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Making sex seem scary does not work! Kind of got off topic there...I apologize, but scaring kids about things sex and drugs is ineffective in my opinion. It is educating and discussing these things that works!

You are right. Teens naturally gravitate towards risky behaviors as they learn to exercise independence. The riskier you make sex and drugs appear, the more appeal they may have towards teens.

ashtonlady
04-02-2009, 10:49 AM
For my daughter, it is a way to tell the guys she is waiting. But the most important part of the ring is to keep talking as loki said. There is a very big diffrence what a 13 you thinks and what a 15 you thinks. I am bless that my daughter talks to me. And I will understand if she doesn't tell me when she desides to loose her virginity. That can be a very personal choice and she will be 21 soon and a full adult.
We can only tell them what we think and why, the rest is up to them.

Laura