PDA

View Full Version : GM vehicle? Not me.

BC-Axeman
03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
At least not for a while. Even though I really want a Corvette.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/20625.html
Ford took no bailout money.

BigFrank
03-29-2009, 07:22 PM
What a mess, too many at fault, no one taking the blame.

I still like GM trucks.

forgop
03-29-2009, 07:30 PM
How did Wagoner stay almost 6 years as GM tanked?

omowasu
03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Ive been behind the wheel of GM trucks for a while, and I would not hesitate to purchase another. Yes, GM has its fair share of problems, some beyond the control of GM, but the amount of "bailout" (loan) money they have received is a pittance compared to the financial industry. I can understand the hesitation to buy a GM car nowadays, but I think that hesitation spreads to areas beyond GM.

Sometimes these articles drive me crazy - everyone in the media has something to say about how to fix the American car industry, how to fix GM, etc, even though they dont work in the car business and are speculating at best.

One of my favorite quotes from the article, referring to Waggoner, was "...He is considered responsible for increasing GM's focus on trucks and SUVs—at the expense of the hybrids and fuel efficient cars that have become more popular in the last couple of years."

What a ridiculous statement that is. GM made a TON of money on trucks and SUV's when they were popular. Small cars are generally considered loss leaders for many companies, and most consumers would rather have something with a bit of power and space.

Unfortunately (Politico take note), the problem is not that people (or as they call them, "consumers") are only buying small cars and hybrids - it is that people are NOT BUYING ANY new cars at all. Even Toyota is hurting in the most recent downturn...

stitch
03-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Those of us who must, or need to drive trucks will soon find ourselves walking and probably taxed for that also.

Pitmaster
03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
GM has more cars that get over 30 MPG, and more Hybrids than Toyota or Honda. What a crock. I love my new Corvette FWIW
Mike

darb85
03-29-2009, 08:15 PM
GM has more cars that get over 30 MPG, and more Hybrids than Toyota or Honda. What a crock. I love my new Corvette FWIW
Mike

THANK YOU!! jeez, why does no one realize this?

WildBlueSooner
03-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, except they have run their business like **** for the last 10 years!

darb85
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Yeah, except they have run their business like **** for the last 10 years!

Having a union who demands cost the company 1000 dollars per car for health care vrs the US Honda and toyota plants that have a cost of 94 dollars per car... ya that didnt help.

all the car companies are in trouble. its not just GM. Ford Morgaged all thier plants, if they go CH.11, they run the risk of losing thier plants.

Chrysler...well thats a whole nother bag o chips

WildBlueSooner
03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Having a union who demands cost the company 1000 dollars per car for health care vrs the US Honda and toyota plants that have a cost of 94 dollars per car... ya that didnt help.

all the car companies are in trouble. its not just GM. Ford Morgaged all thier plants, if they go CH.11, they run the risk of losing thier plants.

Chrysler...well thats a whole nother bag o chips

I agree with everything you said...just saying, the fact that they make decent products is not enough. Many companies with solid products have gone under for a multitude of reasons.

BC-Axeman
03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
I just think the bailout money is not going to get GM out of trouble. I think they may have to break the company up. Maybe Corvette will become it's own company. GM has taken more bailout money than the company is even worth. How will they ever pay it back? I won't knowingly do business with any company that has received bailout.

darb85
03-29-2009, 08:43 PM
and yelling at GM for selling trucks and SUVs is ludacris!

Toyota, Honda, NIssan all redeveloped thier lines to include full size trucks and SUVS. its what the US wanted. Then in the last 2 years It crashed with rising gas prices.

And Now with gas back at 2 bucks a gallon, trucks are selling huge, Used car values are running through the roof, in fact a 1 year old car is more expensive than a brand new one! its nuts! Hell my car went UP on Kelley Blue Book in the last 6 months. Its a suburban!

Granted GM was slow in bringing out those uber fuel efficent cars but when they did they brought out the most respected cars out there!

Im not saying they are a model for business nesessarily, and a big part of that is the amount of power the union has and the lack of management to stem that power move.

And no offense to any auto workers but someone who works the line spinning the number 5 lug nut on a malibu should not be making 74 dollars an hour(including benefits)...

darb85
03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I just think the bailout money is not going to get GM out of trouble. I think they may have to break the company up. Maybe Corvette will become it's own company. GM has taken more bailout money than the company is even worth. How will they ever pay it back? I won't knowingly do business with any company that has received bailout.

You do realize that before GM could get any of that money they had to issue a plan to restructure thier company? and if they dont repay the loans, the government issues a levy and gets it, but after 20 years. Chrysler did it in the 80s

They are dropping lines, Pontiac is a specialty line just the G8, G6, Vibe, and Solstice.

Saturn is likely to either be sold or rebranded opel.

Saab is gone

The Management and Execs are all only making 1 dollar this year. They sold thier fleet of jets(something AIG has yet to do...) They are shutting down plants and consolidating.

BC-Axeman
03-29-2009, 09:04 PM
I'll wait to see how it turns out. I'm not knocking GM products. I really do want a Corvette. I like their trucks. I just trust a government run company less than a union run one. I lived through the '70s. I owned Chrysler stock up till Daimler bought it. That was one I sold at the right time. They have to sell at a profit cars that people want to buy a lot of. You have to be one step ahead of the market or else be creating the market. I don't see this happening now. Granted, nobody is selling a lot at this time. I am just not going to have anything to do with a government run auto manufacturing company. There is no history of that turning out good.

AAlmeter
03-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Hmm...anyone asking Gettlefingerer to step down?

forgop
03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Mike

GM was simply the biggest because they had the most out there under Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Pontiac, Saturn, Cadillac, Hummer, Saab, and Oldsmobile. How many freaking models in their lines that overlap one another? When consumers perceive your product to be a bad value, they won't buy from you. The Big Three are a shining example of how they like to live like fat cats when things are great, but they sure don't want to make sacrifices when times are bad.

rizzle
03-30-2009, 10:06 AM
If you want a Vette, buy it. GM isn't going away, even if they go bankrupt. The govt. has already said they will back the warranty.

loki
03-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Chevrolet, GMC (maybe even drop this...not sure), Pontiac, Saturn, Cadillac, Hummer (h1 only),

these are the lines I would keep if I was running the show. When was the last time you saw a buick made in the past 5 years on the road?

Texan in Mexico
03-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Maybe not buy the Corvette but instead stick a third of that money into GM, Citi and some other "value" stocks?

forgop
03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Hmm...anyone asking Gettlefingerer to step down?

That's just it-he's just as responsible for the mess as Wagoner.

For all those in the union ranks that villify the compensation of salaried executives, they're turning a blind eye to what those in the union make. As if a $60k/year job turning some bolts is bad enough, union appointed positions are the shiznit into a bigger career of do-nothing job responsibility and accountability to no-one, often dished out in the good old boys network or family members. Then you take into consideration elected stewards/committemen/zone men/bargaining committee members, you've got a LOT of guys there making $200k+/year that give ZERO productivity paid for by GM/Chrysler/Ford.

Being an elected UAW rep is much like being in Congress-they're just a bunch of money grubbing whores and the only concern they have is for getting re-elected, not looking out in the best interest of their constituents.

BC-Axeman
03-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Maybe not buy the Corvette but instead stick a third of that money into GM, Citi and some other "value" stocks?
I like my cars with as close to 10 lbs/HP as my money can buy. It must be comfortable and reliable, too. It must also be good on mountain roads. I'm looking at the Audi A6T Quatro, too. There was also some Infinity model. If taxes (my biggest expense) keep going up more than my pay I will just keep my present car running until I can't get parts for it any more. If I won the lottery (you have to play to win) I would buy a Vette before I would get a Ferrari or a Lambo.

AAlmeter
03-30-2009, 10:45 AM
That's just it-he's just as responsible for the mess as Wagoner.

For all those in the union ranks that villify the compensation of salaried executives, they're turning a blind eye to what those in the union make. As if a $60k/year job turning some bolts is bad enough, union appointed positions are the shiznit into a bigger career of do-nothing job responsibility and accountability to no-one, often dished out in the good old boys network or family members. Then you take into consideration elected stewards/committemen/zone men/bargaining committee members, you've got a LOT of guys there making $200k+/year that give ZERO productivity paid for by GM/Chrysler/Ford.

Being an elected UAW rep is much like being in Congress-they're just a bunch of money grubbing whores and the only concern they have is for getting re-elected, not looking out in the best interest of their constituents.

Hey! I've known many stewards and reps who were nothing like members of Congress.....they've got much nicer suits than the average congressman's. And their shoes...so nice and shiney!

Genetic Defect
03-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Damn GM and the trucks they built

shilala
03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
The anti-worker sentiment in this thread amazes me. It's sad.
They're regular guys feeding their family with a decent wage that they've fought, bled and sacrificed for.
Would it be better if the men and women at GM made 8 or 10 bucks an hour with no benefits so that someone else could stack that money in their pile?

loki
03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
They're regular guys feeding their family with a decent wage that they've fought, bled and sacrificed for.
Would it be better if the men and women at GM made 8 or 10 bucks an hour with no benefits so that someone else could stack that money in their pile?

i think it's more anti-union then anti-worker...

Genetic Defect
03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
i think it's more anti-union then anti-worker...

the UAW is crap.

Footbag
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM

I have to agree. There would be no better time to buy a GM vehicle if you are looking to contribute to the US economy.

BC-Axeman
03-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I am not going to contribute to the government-run-union part of the economy. I will freely choose where I want my non-taxed money to go.

shilala
03-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm gonna buy me some Chinese cars so those poor buggers can get democratize. :tu

Genetic Defect
03-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm gonna buy me some Chinese cars so those poor buggers can get democratize. :tu

I'll stick to my Kentucky built truck :wo

shilala
03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I meant after my Envoy and PT Cruiser die. :tu

Genetic Defect
03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I meant after my Envoy and PT Cruiser die. :tu

:r I'll die before I buy the other stuff or I'll walk

shilala
03-30-2009, 11:53 AM
:r I'll die before I buy the other stuff or I'll walk
If I had to drive Japanese I'd throw myself off a building. Twice.

BC-Axeman
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM
We have Japanese cars made here in California.

Genetic Defect
03-30-2009, 12:01 PM
If I had to drive Japanese I'd throw myself off a building. Twice.
my luck I would just bounce :r
We have Japanese cars made here in California.

keep them there :dance::wo

WildBlueSooner
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I am not going to contribute to the government-run-union part of the economy. I will freely choose where I want my non-taxed money to go.

:tpd:

Genetic Defect
03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whNIWUQGwj0
:D

WildBlueSooner
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whNIWUQGwj0
:D

:tu

http://www.redneck-trucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/redneck-truck-tarp.jpg

Genetic Defect
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Mighty fine truck :tu I want to do the tarp conversion to mine:r

AAlmeter
03-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Word.

The UAW was a BIG reason why the big 3 were not even a consideration when I purchased my new truck.

Tombstone
03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
If you want a Vette, buy it. GM isn't going away, even if they go bankrupt. The govt. has already said they will back the warranty.

Just like social security.;)

WildBlueSooner
03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Mighty fine truck :tu I want to do the tarp conversion to mine:r

Well, it is a fairly expensive modification. Are you sure you can afford it :tu

Genetic Defect
03-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, it is a fairly expensive modification. Are you sure you can afford it :tu

:( no it is only a dream

Junior
03-30-2009, 01:03 PM

I will stick with my Wisconsin built SUV.

Has any one looked at SUV's lately. I went to buy a Yukon the other night that would have sold for $6,000 a couple months ago, and it opened at $8,400 sold at $9,700.

I really think the UAW is responsible for a lot of the big 3's problems. I live 30 miles from where they build the Corvette. A majority if not all of the workers at the plant are transfers. As long as I can remember I don't think they have hired locally with the exception of a few temp jobs.

loki
03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
. I live 30 miles from where they build the Corvette. A majority if not all of the workers at the plant are transfers. As long as I can remember I don't think they have hired locally with the exception of a few temp jobs.

the majority of the people who work on the vette are picked out of other plants due to exceptional performance from what i was told

BC-Axeman
03-30-2009, 02:06 PM
the majority of the people who work on the vette are picked out of other plants due to exceptional performance from what i was told
:r Oh! The jokes that could start. :D

Junior
03-30-2009, 02:12 PM

It just bothers me because when they relocated to Bowling Green they talked about how many new jobs they would create. It just bugs me that the jobs are created for people from other states, and towns. I know they pay taxes, buy houses and contribute to the community, but it would be nice if some local people could work there. I grew up with a lot of kids that came in with the Corvette plant they are fine people, but they can’t even get jobs there.

One good thing about the relocation is that my wife’s family moved here from Michigan.

forgop
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
I don't know that anyone is "anti-worker". Last I knew, most people do have to work for a living.

The UAW has crippled GM/Ford/Chrysler for far too long. Anyone that has ever worked in a UAW plant (I've been "priveleged" enough to work in 3 different UAW plants) knows how much bureaucracy it is to get anything done. Complain about how it's management's fault for signing the agreements all you want, but given the threat of strikes and the other practices by the UAW, they have no choice but to give in on some issues.

I think the way our goverment has allowed companies to ship manufacturing plants across the border is horrible. You don't see anyone cutting their prices on these vehicles when they're paying the workers $100k less per year. Just like the current administration felt the need to take away the incentive for AIG bonuses with a 90% tax, I think something like it should have been done bringing the overprice hunks of junk as it was. Sure, they wouldn't have been able to compete with foreign competition, but it would have forced the issue a decade ago in terms of lowering their costs across the board.

FWIW-my dad was in the UAW for 34 years and retired as a pipefitter from a GM plant in Indiana.

Junior
03-30-2009, 02:48 PM
I have seen GM do some dumb things in my life. I worked for a trucking company the hauled a lot of GM freight, and they ship all over the place. We would take oil pans and valve covers from Glasgow, KY all the way to St Catharine’s Ontario where they built the engines for the Corvettes. We would pick up the engines later. We also had a run that had the stops around Toronto one in Buffalo then went to a plant in Alabama. Where they turned around and built the part to be shipped back to Detroit. They would haul transmission parts from North Carolina to Texas then to Bowling Green KY. The Corvette wheels were shipped from somewhere I can’t remember, but they went to California to Mexico to be polished then back to Columbia TN for tires which came in from Norman Oklahoma then to Bowling Green. You would think that they could find places closer to built there parts instead of shipping one part 1000 miles one way to be assembled then shipped another 800 miles back to put in the cars. Also a lot of the time the trucks come back with dunnage (plastic bins that the parts are shipped in) instead of turning a load out of the same plant that was going back to the same city.

I also had a driver banned from a plant outside of Detroit. The forklift operator was backing out of the trailer unloading the last piece of the load got to the rear of the trailer all the way to the dock plate sits then the break whistle blew, and he hopped off the forklift and went off to lunch. It may not seem like a big deal for a driver to have to wait for 45 minutes, but that means he probably will have to miss out on a meal and hot shower because of it. The driver did what I would have done; he backed the forklift up about 10 feet, and left.

Sorry I rambled on, and understand me I drive a Chevrolet Tahoe, and come from a Bowtie family. I will step down from my soap box now.

loki
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
It just bothers me because when they relocated to Bowling Green they talked about how many new jobs they would create. It just bugs me that the jobs are created for people from other states, and towns. I know they pay taxes, buy houses and contribute to the community, but it would be nice if some local people could work there. I grew up with a lot of kids that came in with the Corvette plant they are fine people, but they can’t even get jobs there.

One good thing about the relocation is that my wife’s family moved here from Michigan.

not to get off subject but where around that area are you? I haven't been there for years but i used to come down every may for the gathering

shilala
03-30-2009, 03:25 PM
my luck I would just bounce :r

keep them there :dance::wo
After I die from throwing myself off the building, I'm going to invite the UAW over to pee on me.

floydp
03-30-2009, 03:55 PM

Sweet ride man.

Diesel Kinevel
03-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Ford took no bailout money.

That is because Ford is awesome:D

c2000
03-30-2009, 07:26 PM

Right on.. If you really want a vette bad,,log on to corvette forum.com and look for C6 for sale..There are people wanting to bail on the payments and you can get a cherry ZO6 or regular C6 for a great price.

Jerry in Minnesota.

replicant_argent
03-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Can anyone tell me how Mr. Obama can make the decision to back the warranty of GM if they fnck it up royally? Seriously? He wants the "Gummint" (read: ME) to back a warranty of a company he wants to bankroll and fluff, while Ford isn't taking money? I only caught parts of his UAW pimp speech today, and it is probably good I was distracted, or I would have blown my skull.

The aforementioned was written by a person who has a couple or so decades in working for Chevrolet/Chrysler dealerships and other connections to the auto industry.

Yeah, let's think of another hundred thousand ways to spend millions to piss down the toilet to create nonexistent "jobs" for industries that should have allowed themselves to become part of the latest few decades, rather than ......

<grumbles>

Screw it.

darb85
03-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Ok just an FYI on GMs product plans:

Keep:

Chevy, Pontiac(speciality line) Saturn(likely rebranded Opel) Buick, Cadillac

Gone:
GMC(Consumer Vehicles only, Commercial will remain, Chevy will lose thier Commercial line) Hummer, Saab

Chevy will keep most of its line. Impala is becoming RWD. Volt Comes back, Camaro Is back. Possible Kappa Platform car. Malibu will stay. Silverado will stay in all trims. Gone will be commercial vehicles, all will be badged as GMCs. Suburban and tahoe will remain. HHR and Cobalt(new Models coming) Equinox is iffy. Traverse Will remain

Pontiac will Lose: G3, G5, Torrent Keep G8 G6 Vibe and Solstice

Saturn has fresh Model group. wont lose any models but indications are it will be rebaged Opel(the cars are Opels rebranded anyways)

Buick should keep full line, High Perfomance cars(supers) are gone Look for Redesigned RWD sedan

Cadillac no changes for the most part

GMC will lose all non commercial vehicles

Hummer is completly gone

Saab is being sold

Now, all this will be for not if the union doesnt give up some stuff like life long benifits, Job bank etc.

I am a little pissed that they fired Wagoneer. Hes responsible for some of the best cars getting green lighted by GM. Solstice, Volt, Malibu, Lacrosse, CTS

meh. Hope it gets sorted.

JaKaacH
03-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Chevrolet, GMC (maybe even drop this...not sure), Pontiac, Saturn, Cadillac, Hummer (h1 only),

these are the lines I would keep if I was running the show. When was the last time you saw a buick made in the past 5 years on the road?

Today.

darb85
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Today.

agreed. Buick, while not popular is an awesome car and I see 5 year old ones out all the time. the problem is, the models they have right now are pushing 5-7 years old, so you cant tell...

WildBlueSooner
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM

Keep:

Chevy, Pontiac(speciality line) Saturn(likely rebranded Opel) Buick, Cadillac

Gone:
GMC(Consumer Vehicles only, Commercial will remain, Chevy will lose thier Commercial line) Hummer, Saab

Chevy will keep most of its line. Impala is becoming RWD. Volt Comes back, Camaro Is back. Possible Kappa Platform car. Malibu will stay. Silverado will stay in all trims. Gone will be commercial vehicles, all will be badged as GMCs. Suburban and tahoe will remain. HHR and Cobalt(new Models coming) Equinox is iffy. Traverse Will remain

Pontiac will Lose: G3, G5, Torrent Keep G8 G6 Vibe and Solstice

Saturn has fresh Model group. wont lose any models but indications are it will be rebaged Opel(the cars are Opels rebranded anyways)

Buick should keep full line, High Perfomance cars(supers) are gone Look for Redesigned RWD sedan

Cadillac no changes for the most part

GMC will lose all non commercial vehicles

Hummer is completly gone

Saab is being sold

Now, all this will be for not if the union doesnt give up some stuff like life long benifits, Job bank etc.

I am a little pissed that they fired Wagoneer. Hes responsible for some of the best cars getting green lighted by GM. Solstice, Volt, Malibu, Lacrosse, CTS

I agree with most of your ideas on what to keep and what to lose

Junior
03-31-2009, 08:40 AM

Keep:

Gone:

I will have to disagree with you on the GMC Yukon part. I personally think that the GMCs have a better interior than the Tahoe. As far as the Equinox I think it should be gone, and keep the Trailblazer.

BC-Axeman
03-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Keep what is profitable. Can what is not. Make more of what makes a profit. How much simpler can it get? Cut costs and increase quality (or at least the perception of quality ;) ). Brand loyalty is shallow. Popularity is most often short lived. I think, along with the business structure, the marketing people have been failing.
I like the GMC trucks better than their Chevy counterparts. I have a Ford because it was the most truck I could get for the money at the time.

AAlmeter
03-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Keep what is profitable. Can what is not. Make more of what makes a profit. How much simpler can it get? Cut costs and increase quality (or at least the perception of quality ;) ). Brand loyalty is shallow. Popularity is most often short lived. I think, along with the business structure, the marketing people have been failing.
I like the GMC trucks better than their Chevy counterparts. I have a Ford because it was the most truck I could get for the money at the time.

Unfortunately other idiotic factors are involved due to regulations and other BS...thats why they continue to produce efficient cars, despite the fact that are not profitable. But since the government demands it, the government gets it.

Junior
03-31-2009, 10:30 AM
GM and Ford have some great cars they produce overseas that can't be produced here. Ford has a diesel version of the Focus that gets 65mpg, but the US will never see it due to high production cost as well as the cafe standards.

Hardcz
03-31-2009, 10:38 AM
and I wonder from everyone posting who actually has any experience to what gm, chrystler, toyota, ford, etc are doing... any of you actually work in a plant, for these companies, for a supplier, for anyone who has to do with any of this?

If not, why even talk about it. It's just the same as those news reporters who print first and ask questions later. :2

Ahbroody
03-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Mike

I know and watching the news last night its said how misinformed people are on the issue. Unfortunately its not limited to one age group. Its every where. This also goes to reliability. JDpowers recent reports on reliability also shows many US manufactures are producing very high quality product. Unfortunately the 80s and erly 90s they took a deagle and shot themselves in the head 2x.

As to hybrids I still laugh at the buyers. My childhood friend works for toyota and discussed just how non eco friendly these cars are. The amount of wiring used the amount of energy to produce and the batteries. These cars are no where near as eco friendly as people think they are. A corolla is more eco friendly than a prius when all factors are included. Why do you think VW green diesel is viewed by many as the greenest vehicle available.

OOO and I buy and drive Ford Trucks. My F250 has been the greatest truck I have owned hands down. Having owned Chevy, Dodge, Toyota. Ford is built the best.

Hardcz
03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
My F250 has been the greatest truck I have owned hands down. Having owned Chevy, Dodge, Toyota. Ford is built the best.

My S10 SS will beat up your F250.

BC-Axeman
03-31-2009, 10:50 AM
My F250 will beat up the Chevy while hauling the Dodge! :D
.45 vs 9mm anyone?

WildBlueSooner
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
and I wonder from everyone posting who actually has any experience to what gm, chrystler, toyota, ford, etc are doing... any of you actually work in a plant, for these companies, for a supplier, for anyone who has to do with any of this?

If not, why even talk about it. It's just the same as those news reporters who print first and ask questions later. :2

Why talk about it? It is just a tad relevant to everyone who lives in this country seeing that the auto industry is one of our most important industries. In fact, it is relevant to everyone in the world today! I don't see how not talking about it would help.

AAlmeter
03-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Why talk about it? It is just a tad relevant to everyone who lives in this country seeing that the auto industry is one of our most important industries. In fact, it is relevant to everyone in the world today! I don't see how not talking about it would help.

Agreed.

That plus the fact that I've now been thrust in as an owner of the company.

Tombstone
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM

We are BUYERS. This gives us the authority to talk about it. BTW the company i work for is a supplier to auto manufactures. I think everyone has a say in this.

darb85
03-31-2009, 11:45 AM
I will have to disagree with you on the GMC Yukon part. I personally think that the GMCs have a better interior than the Tahoe. As far as the Equinox I think it should be gone, and keep the Trailblazer.

Trailblazer was replaced with the Traverse

GMC and Chevy Interiors are absolutly identical same part numbers too. QC might be different at the assembly plant though :dunno

Hardcz
03-31-2009, 11:48 AM

I'm biased because I work as a contractor in a GM plant. I will say I want them to survive. I see every day where there is wasted money, on people and supplies.

This has happened in one way or another at every company I've worked for. Though in this case it's on a larger scale due to the size of the company.

What gets me is how people seem to be on a hate train over the auto companies. Or the Unions... or whatever. They have their faults, they have their benefits. It's all screwed up.

Problem I see is the lack of factual data being provided by the haters. There is some from time to time, usually twisted to the numbers that benefit the speaker most.

Just looking for open minds and the like.

Tombstone
03-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Failing business should fail. The government is rewarding failure (bailouts) and punishing (taxing) success. This is not the America that our founding fathers envisioned. The federal government does not have the constitutional authority to bailout, manage, or direct private industries.

Genetic Defect
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM

I work for a supplier for at least another month, do I get to talk about it?
My S10 SS will beat up your F250.

:fu F450 FTW

Hardcz
03-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Yea, tho the govt shouldn't be putting it's nose into banning tobacco use either...though they do.... But I do believe we shouldn't talk about political issues towards these topics...

Tombstone
03-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Yea, tho the govt shouldn't be putting it's nose into banning tobacco use either...though they do.... But I do believe we shouldn't talk about political issues towards these topics...

These issues are engrossed in politics.

BC-Axeman
04-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Follow up, it looks like I'm not alone in my feelings:
Detroit Free Press article
http://www.freep.com/article/20090409/BUSINESS06/904090367