PDA

View Full Version : Playboy robusto

Don Fernando
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I had seen these cigars in the past and always left them for what they are, as I was afraid it would be a bad cigar due to the Playboy logo. I expected this to be a ‘status symbol’ cigar, made for posers instead of true cigar lovers. The appearance of this 5 x 52 cigar is pretty with a flawless dark wrapper. The oily Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper has hardly any veins although it has some spots on it. The cigar band is simple, black with a silver edge and a silver Playboy logo printed on it. The construction seems to be good, I didn’t feel any hard of soft spots on inspecting this cigar with its Dominican, Nicaraguan and Peruvian filler with the Connecticut broadleaf binder. I did notice that the wrapper has a very smooth feel to it. The aroma is quite nice with a barnyard feel to it. Cutting it with my Palio was easy. The predraw is pretty light and leaves me with a sweet but peppery flavor on the lips.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/cs_donfernando/reviews/Playboy/DSC01507.jpg

Upon lighting the cigar with my torch could taste coffee, full flavored with a hint of nutty toast. After a few puffs, the nutty flavor grows in strength. The coffee flavor slowly disappears while the nutty flavor grows. The toasty aftertaste remains. After about a third the coffee flavor is gone completely and its all nuts and toast.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/cs_donfernando/reviews/Playboy/DSC01509.jpg

At the halfway point the toasty aftertaste is replaced by a chocolate flavor and later on even some pepper. At 2/3rd the cigar gains power and becomes hot, it leaves a bit of a burning sensation on the tip of my tongue but the flavors are still very nice. I slow my smoking down to let the cigar cool a little and the burning sensation disappears so I can enjoy the last few puffs and part from this surprisingly good cigar.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/cs_donfernando/reviews/Playboy/DSC01510.jpg

The cigar produces a nice amount of smoke. The burn is flawless until midway, the burn starts to get crooked there and its getting hard to keep the cigar lit. After I corrected it, the burn was fine again. The draw started as a bit too easy but the resistance increased along the way without becoming too hard. The silver gray ash is a perfect combination with the silver & black band with Playboy logo. At the end, the ash splitted.

The cigar starts out as a medium bodied cigar, but it grown in strength to a full to medium bodied cigar with quite some nicotine build up, it made me a little light headed. Flavor wise I can only say that this is a full flavored smoke.

Would I buy this cigar again? If the price is right, yeah!

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Appearance: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 8 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 8 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the review:tu

Skywalker
03-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Great review!!!

You were spot on with the flavor and strength profile!!!:tu

AllOGistics
03-25-2009, 01:29 PM
I had seen these cigars in the past and always left them for what they are, as I was afraid it would be a bad cigar due to the Playboy logo. I expected this to be a ‘status symbol’ cigar, made for posers instead of true cigar lovers.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this cigar. If the price is right, I may have to at least try one. Thanks for the review.

Wanger
03-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Now I may actually be interested in trying one. Hopefully some models come with them. :D

yellowgoat
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Are these the same Playboy cigars by Don Diego just with a new band? I really liked them.

Don Fernando
03-25-2009, 01:51 PM
as far as I know, these are made by Altadis.

Starscream
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Now I may actually be interested in trying one. Hopefully some models come with them. :D

:tpd:
Thanks for the review. :tu

jledou
03-25-2009, 02:19 PM

I got mine in the 3 for $9 sampler and yes at $3 I would say they are a great cigar.

TXRebel
03-25-2009, 02:21 PM

Altadis is still running there offer, 3 for $7.95.

Link. (http://www.playboycigaroffer.com/promo.html)

bookman
03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
I'll try one. I liked the Diego Pboys.

Waynegro1
03-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Altadis is still running there offer, 3 for $7.95.

Link. (http://www.playboycigaroffer.com/promo.html)

I just bit on this deal again, yesterday. They take a while to arrive, but you can't beat the price.

Thanks for the GREAT review (as usual). :tu

rMcSmokesAlot
03-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Sweet review, they'll be reciving a visit tomorrow

ROTHNH
03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
I'll try one. I liked the Diego Pboys.

This cigar is nothing like the Don Diego version.

Playboy by Don Diego = Mild.

Playboy = Full Flavored.

Personally I found them at opposite ends of the spectrum -- i.e. the former is very mild and the latter is very full.

G G
04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks Ferdie.