PDA

View Full Version : attention car guys!

darb85
03-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Ok, got an issue thats driving me bonkers. cant figure it out for the life of me.

I have no tail lights. Brake lights, Turn signals and 4 ways all work fine, but the running lights, ya no go.

Ive checked the switch, its fine. checked for continuity, its fine. checked the fuses, fine. Checked the voltage coming from the battery. its fine too.

I cant figure it out. and i cant drive at night.

any ideas from anyone?

its a 1999 1500 Chevy Suburban 4x4.

only thing i can think of is an open in the line between the switch and something or a bad ground but cant find either...

68TriShield
03-24-2009, 02:30 PM
I bet the fuse *is* blown Brad.Did you take it out and tap it?

688sonarmen
03-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Replace the bulb?

darb85
03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Replaced the fuse with a new one. all the fuses have been replaced just to be on the safe side. well all the ones that deal with this problem

and the bulbs are good as well... and its all the bulbs for the running lights.

like I said, its quite the cunudrum. im hoping someone has had the issue before and can shed some light.

St. Lou Stu
03-24-2009, 03:32 PM
What kinda car? Year?
Turn the switch on and check Voltage at the bulb sockets and work your way back to the switch.....

Give me year, make, model and I may be able to come up with the wiring diagram for ya.

Corroded socket contacts?
I can guess all day! :D

****.... sorry, just saw make model info. When did ya sneak that in?

dubnick
03-24-2009, 03:37 PM
problem with the BCM... seen it on those before

St. Lou Stu
03-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Send me a PM/email. I have the wiring diagrams and trouble tree from the service manual for this particular application.

688sonarmen
03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Ok I had an issue where some days my car would start and some not. I mean nothing no starter click no lights no door alarm. Took the battery to the shop no issues. Checked fuses and on and on and on. Got the car towed to the shop 3 times and they said it was fine, it started for them first time. Come to find out since I lived by the shore and always parked my car next the a pier that salt had gotten into my electrical system and grounds. Took it to the shop they cleaned all of it out good as new got on the interstate and my transmition blew. Well that was just sh$tty luck but the electrical was from salt in the air.

BC-Axeman
03-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Behind the bumper harness with trailer wiring? Maybe a loose/corroded connector. I agree with St.Lou Stu, start at the light and work back. A trouble light would make it easier. Just a light bulb with a clip wire on one side and a bare ended wire on the other. You clip the one wire to ground and touch the other end to where you have voltage and the light should light.

fissure
03-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Dad had the same issue with his silverado a while back. Only difference was his would work sometimes depending on how he tilted the wheel. Ended up being the harness inside the steering column. The wires had come partially loose. Maybe yours came completely off the connection. Bad thing is, if it is that, it usually can be re-soldered.