PDA

View Full Version : Allergic Reaction

Tuxguy
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Last night I decided to smoke a pipe while doing my paperwork because of the temperature. Something did not taste right about it so I put it down. This morning I wake covered in hives, itchy as all hell. My wife freaked, so we went to the ER. While waiting they slowly started to disappear. The doctors said that i was an allergic reaction to something but they did not know from what. They gave me the old benadryl and sent me on my way. The only thing I can think of is somehow my pipe had mold, or the tobacco did. I did not eat anything different or did we change laundry detergent.
It was an estate pipe inwhich I had smoked once before.

yellowgoat
03-24-2009, 11:36 AM
All over your body or just the face?

Glad every things fine now! Sounds scary.

Tuxguy
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM

All over

bobarian
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Not a doctor by any means, but I am pretty sure if it was the pipe or something you smoked you would have had much bigger issues. Often hives will form in the mouth and throat restricting breathing. If you had inhaled something I think this would have been the case. I know when I was very young, I had a reaction to an allergy shot and it affected my breathing, got a shot of epi(?)

Tuxguy
03-24-2009, 12:27 PM

everywhere but the goods, Thank God

Tuxguy
03-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Not a doctor by any means, but I am pretty sure if it was the pipe or something you smoked you would have had much bigger issues. Often hives will form in the mouth and throat restricting breathing. If you had inhaled something I think this would have been the case. I know when I was very young, I had a reaction to an allergy shot and it affected my breathing, got a shot of epi(?)

I thought this as well. They did prescribe an epi pen for if it returns in a worse way.

Slow Triathlete
03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
What kind of tobacco did you smoke? I've heard of people who were allergic to Perique or Latakia. No reaction like that though.

Nabinger16
03-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I would look for something else before saying it was the pipe. Have you changed laundry detergent, fabric softener, bath soap, shampoo, or anything like that? Did you eat or drink something new? Were you exposed to any lawn chemicals. I would think you would have more of a localized reaction to your face/lips and possibly have respiratory involvement if it was the pipe or tobacco. Was it a new tobacco?

Tuxguy
03-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I would look for something else before saying it was the pipe. Have you changed laundry detergent, fabric softener, bath soap, shampoo, or anything like that? Did you eat or drink something new? Were you exposed to any lawn chemicals. I would think you would have more of a localized reaction to your face/lips and possibly have respiratory involvement if it was the pipe or tobacco. Was it a new tobacco?

It was Lane LL7, I have smoked it numerous times with no outcome like this. I have not changed anything. What makes me say it had to do with the pipe was the taste of the baccy was way off from what it normally tasted like in the past.

uncballzer
03-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Doc in training: Like bobarian said, be careful. If there was something in the smoke, it very well could swell up your epiglottis and block your airway. If you even feel the slightest hint of your throat swelling, start heading to the ER; and if it gets worse, call 911/EMS. Epi pen is good to have around for these cases. (Not to scare you too much, but with this swelling of the throat, it is almost impossible for some doc's to get your intubated--ie the tube down your throat to put you on the ventilator; and instead they'd have to do an emergency trach--cutting a hole in your throat so you can breathe! So do be careful!).

BamBam
03-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Doc in training: Like bobarian said, be careful. If there was something in the smoke, it very well could swell up your epiglottis and block your airway. If you even feel the slightest hint of your throat swelling, start heading to the ER; and if it gets worse, call 911/EMS. Epi pen is good to have around for these cases. (Not to scare you too much, but with this swelling of the throat, it is almost impossible for some doc's to get your intubated--ie the tube down your throat to put you on the ventilator; and instead they'd have to do an emergency trach--cutting a hole in your throat so you can breathe! So do be careful!).

:(...................Okay.......................Wa nt to Sell............................All my Pipe Smoking Stuff ;)

WWhermit
03-24-2009, 07:42 PM
:(...................Okay.......................Wa nt to Sell............................All my Pipe Smoking Stuff ;)

Well, seein' as pipe stuff could kill ya, I'd only be willing to give ya 5 bucks for it.

WWhermit
:pi:

Professor Mike
03-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, seein' as pipe stuff could kill ya, I'd only be willing to give ya 5 bucks for it.

WWhermit

I'll go $5.01 for the lot.:dr

markem
03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
adding to what others have said ...

If you feel any swelling or anything that seems like an allergic reaction, take the benadryl. The sooner it is in your system, the faster it can do its thing.

There aren't many instances where taking a benadryl when you have the onset of hives and other allergy symptoms is completely contraindicated.

Sr Mike
03-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Y'all don't know how to negotiate. I'll go $3.77.

uncballzer
03-24-2009, 07:59 PM

I'll go 10. I think you have a good collection if I remember right...

BamBam
03-24-2009, 08:03 PM

WWhermit

I'll go $5.01 for the lot.:dr

Y'all don't know how to negotiate. I'll go $3.77.

I'll go 10. I think you have a good collection if I remember right...

:r:r:r

Hardcz
03-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I'll buy you a case of guinness... it has anti oxidants in it..which are good for you... so I'm the only one actually giving you something healthy for something that could kill you.

BamBam
03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I'll buy you a case of guinness... it has anti oxidants in it..which are good for you... so I'm the only one actually giving you something healthy for something that could kill you.

ur ticklin me Irish bone :dr ....Gawd that didn't sound right

Sr Mike
03-25-2009, 01:59 PM
ur ticklin me Irish bone :dr ....Gawd that didn't sound right

Are you not Irish :r:r