PDA

View Full Version : The word HERF

WildBlueSooner
03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
I was curious about this so I did a little research and this is the best explanation I found. Can anyone confirm this, or have you heard different explanations?

1)The term is a derivitive of several languages. To better understand the true meaning of the word one must realize that language is a changing thing; it moves about with various social structures, from land to land.

The Greek derivation is "erphos" from "eos", meaning 'skin'. This is further by a review of the Greek words "Terphos" and Sterphos." This is actually only the begining of the common, or present usage of the term.

An example of the way language travels, and is bastardized, is to be seen in the American Indian Language of Taino. In this language the use of the word "Hura" means wind. The proper pronunciation if akin to "Herf", actually *hurrof*.

Now, when you review the Greek's meanderings throughout the Ancient World, you will understand that they travelled to the British Isles. Any stury can tell you this. The Welsh word we would look to is "Herfeiddio", a verb which means to dare, to be brave, and to defy.

Further North and a bit Eastward we must review the Dutch word "Herfst" and the Anglo-Saxon derivitive "Haerfest". These words refer to the mnal season, or the end of summer.

The end of summer is when they harvested the tobacco leaves. See also, the Greek word "Apora", meaning 'end-of-summer'.

Brave souls (Herfeiddiols), would take the freshly harvestd leaves (Erphos=skin=tobacco leaves), at the harvest (Herfst/Haerfest), and smoke them. Somehow the word found it's way into America, pre-Columbus.

The Taino people, simple and naive as they were, took all the above meanings and rolled them into one, thus "Hura" meaning 'wind'.review of the lore of the Taino finds this word used as both a verb and a noun. As a noun it has the simple meaning of "wind", as we use it, today. As a verb, however, it means:"he-who-harvests-the-thin-tobacco-leaves-of-harvest-time-and-smokes- it."

Interesting stuff! :ss

DPD6030
03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info. James :tu

BC-Axeman
03-23-2009, 05:29 PM
It's actually a contraction of "here for", as in "We're her'f smokin'."

FriskyDingo
03-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Here is a popular origin of the word HERF:

"Herf” was first used by “Prince of Skeeves” on the newsgroup alt.smokers.cigars on November 21, 1996. On November 23rd, “Prince of Skeeves” explained: “To `herf’ is to draw on a cigar. It’s less vulgar than ‘suck’ and not as misleading as ‘toke’.”

On July 11, 1997, “Prince of Skeeves” further explained: “The first time I heard the word ‘herf’ and recognized it’s potential for the enrichment of my vocabulary was in junior college in Clyde, Texas in 1982 from a blueblood derelict friend of my named Stu. In the context of the time it was used to describe the ungainly and humorous facial contortion required to deeply draw on a large, hand- rolled cigarette of unknown filling while driving a motor vehicle and keeping an eye peeled for the Callahan County sheriff. Later I found the term ‘herf’ described nicely the method for getting a good mouthful of tasty smoke from my favorite cigars.”

A “herf” has also come to mean a “lively gathering of cigar-smoking comrades.” A “Herf-on-the Lake” was held April 26, 1997 at Jones Park on Lake Travis in Jonestown

Whether or not any of these definitions we find are true I do know the one below is DEFINITELY not the truth!

The term "Herf" used to describe the smoking of a cigar comes from the 1960's in America when many cigar smokers listened to Herf Alpert and the Tijuana Brass while smoking their favorite stogie. The music was latinesque and thus provided an atmosphere of semi-cuban reminiscence. Soon, cigar smokers began to say things like "I was with the Brass last night and the Herf was so good I thought I was in Havana." Thus, we can all thank Herf Alpert for his influence on 'garbonics.

I wonder if that's Herb's brother? :r

WildBlueSooner
03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Here is a popular origin of the word HERF:

"Herf” was first used by “Prince of Skeeves” on the newsgroup alt.smokers.cigars on November 21, 1996. On November 23rd, “Prince of Skeeves” explained: “To `herf’ is to draw on a cigar. It’s less vulgar than ‘suck’ and not as misleading as ‘toke’.”

On July 11, 1997, “Prince of Skeeves” further explained: “The first time I heard the word ‘herf’ and recognized it’s potential for the enrichment of my vocabulary was in junior college in Clyde, Texas in 1982 from a blueblood derelict friend of my named Stu. In the context of the time it was used to describe the ungainly and humorous facial contortion required to deeply draw on a large, hand- rolled cigarette of unknown filling while driving a motor vehicle and keeping an eye peeled for the Callahan County sheriff. Later I found the term ‘herf’ described nicely the method for getting a good mouthful of tasty smoke from my favorite cigars.”

A “herf” has also come to mean a “lively gathering of cigar-smoking comrades.” A “Herf-on-the Lake” was held April 26, 1997 at Jones Park on Lake Travis in Jonestown

Whether or not any of these definitions we find are true I do know the one below is DEFINITELY not the truth!

The term "Herf" used to describe the smoking of a cigar comes from the 1960's in America when many cigar smokers listened to Herf Alpert and the Tijuana Brass while smoking their favorite stogie. The music was latinesque and thus provided an atmosphere of semi-cuban reminiscence. Soon, cigar smokers began to say things like "I was with the Brass last night and the Herf was so good I thought I was in Havana." Thus, we can all thank Herf Alpert for his influence on 'garbonics.

I wonder if that's Herb's brother? :r

:r I saw that one too! Too damn funny!

Sr Mike
03-24-2009, 05:32 AM
I never thought about trying to pin point the orgin of the word. All that matters to me is that the herf happens and it is with good people.

Java
03-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Never cared for the term myself. Just one more way to be ostracized by non-cigar smokers when trying to communicate what you do.

Hardcz
03-24-2009, 06:18 AM
A herf is a herf, it's a word passed down through the ages. It was here before me and will be here after. All hail the FOGS!

WildBlueSooner
03-24-2009, 11:25 AM
A herf is a herf, it's a word passed down through the ages. It was here before me and will be here after. All hail the FOGS!

Yeah I guess it is just the history buff coming out in me! Lots of things were here before me and I like to learn about as many of them as I can...especially things I am really interested in.:)

MedicCook
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reseach James.

Hardcz
03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah I guess it is just the history buff coming out in me! Lots of things were here before me and I like to learn about as many of them as I can...especially things I am really interested in.:)

That's cool, I'm a history buff myself, only problem is I don't know much about history.

groogs
03-24-2009, 01:43 PM
That is very interesting. I never thought much about the word HERF, but thanks for doing the research. Maybe I can explaing what herf means to my wife now.

poker
04-02-2009, 10:02 AM
It originated from ASC from what I have always heard.

Reference: http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.smokers.cigars/2006-02/msg03631.html

Bruzee
04-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Hummm... Very interesting. Thanks for the work. :tu

goalie204
04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
fumada

ahc4353
04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
fumada

:r

As for the word HERF, all I know is DBall hates it and that's reason enough to use it. :D

shortstory5
04-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Nice thread. I was actually wondering this myself. Thanks for the info guys!

mhailey
04-02-2009, 12:02 PM
herf happens

I think I want to steal this for my signature line.

Matt

Sr Mike
04-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Matt, its all yours.

Just like S.H.I.T. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91) it happens every Thursday.

:ss

Buckeye Jack
04-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Yep, ASC. When I started patrolling ASC in 1997 it was already being used. I always thought Steve Saka started though.

M1903A1
04-02-2009, 07:11 PM
It's an acronym...Here Everyone Righteously Fumes....:rolleyes: ;)

jonharky
04-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Who knows its all greek to me!! :)

BC-Axeman
04-02-2009, 08:57 PM
It's the perfect subject for making up outrageous but somehow believable stories about. I expect there are a lot of those.