PDA

View Full Version : Belgian ales

rhdad42
03-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm a big fan of Belgian ales. Very few things are as satisfying as enjoying a Belgian ale with friends and a cigar. I love Fin du Monde, Chimay, Corsendonk, and enjoy Golden Monkey if I'm in the mood for something sweeter )I know all these aren't from Belgium, per se).

Anyone out there want to recommend something new for me to try? Monster Beverage has a really good selection, and I'm in the mood for something new this weekend.

Ollie
03-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Everything I've had from Ommegang has been excelent.

WyGuy
03-20-2009, 07:32 PM

:tpd:

I especially like the Hennenpin.

AllOGistics
03-20-2009, 07:32 PM

HawkEye19
03-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Chimay ales are exceptional. Duvel makes a tasty golden ale.

Heatmiser
03-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Duvel makes a tasty golden ale.

SmokeyNL
03-22-2009, 11:57 AM
some I really like;
Westvleteren 12
Rochefort 10
Kasteelbeer (brown)
Westmalle
Leffe
Kwak

Well many others come to mind as well, but these are the ones I like best overall.

Drat
03-22-2009, 12:35 PM
some I really like;
Westvleteren 12
Rochefort 10
Kasteelbeer (brown)
Westmalle
Leffe
Kwak

Well many others come to mind as well, but these are the ones I like best overall.

Good luck finding the Westie 12. I've got one that I'm saving for a special occasion that was a bring-back from a colleague that did new years in Amsterdam.

You can find the Roche 8 pretty easily, but the Roche 10 is hard to come by but worth the purchase when you find it.

Leffe is way overrated in my book.

SmokeyNL
03-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Good luck finding the Westie 12. I've got one that I'm saving for a special occasion that was a bring-back from a colleague that did new years in Amsterdam.

You can find the Roche 8 pretty easily, but the Roche 10 is hard to come by but worth the purchase when you find it.

Leffe is way overrated in my book.

I live near the belgian border, all it takes for me to get westvleteren is a phonecall and a drive over there. (it is also beeing sold in some stores now even though it is not allowed.)

Rochefort 10 is sold in a lot of stores including some supermarkets (chimay as well), then again some of the Belgian markets have insane selections, we here in the Netherlands have a nice choice though.

Drat
03-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I live near the belgian border, all it takes for me to get westvleteren is a phonecall and a drive over there. (it is also beeing sold in some stores now even though it is not allowed.)

Rochefort 10 is sold in a lot of stores including some supermarkets (chimay as well), then again some of the Belgian markets have insane selections, we here in the Netherlands have a nice choice though.

I'm so unbelievably jealous!

awsmith4
03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Logan aka Sixpacksunday bombed the Greenwood SC Herf with quite a few great beers, including the Rochefort 10. I am in love and have been looking for it since

landhoney
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Anything from Cantillon, Duchess de Bourgogne, Roodenbach Grand Cru, Goudenband, De Dolle Oerbier Reserva (hard to find though, but great).

icantbejon
03-24-2009, 12:31 PM
some I really like;
Westvleteren 12
Rochefort 10
Kasteelbeer (brown) :dr:dr:dr:dr
Westmalle
:tu
Kwak

These are solid recommendations in my opinion. Love Kasteel. Get ready for a bit of a punch though, as it's pretty strong.

icantbejon
03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
some I really like;
Westvleteren 12
Rochefort 10
Kasteelbeer (brown) :dr:dr:dr:dr
Westmalle
Leffe :tu
Kwak

These are solid recommendations in my opinion. Love Kasteel. Get ready for a bit of a punch though, as it's pretty strong.

SmokeyNL
03-24-2009, 12:33 PM
a nice list: http://40beersat40.blogspot.com/2008/02/top-ten-belgian-beers.html :tu

icantbejon
03-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Malheur 10 is very good as is Saison DuPont. For something sweeter, Malheur has a couple of belgian ales that use champagne yeast (IIRC) and they are a bit sweeter. Although not really a belgian, Ommegang Three Philosophers has a bit of sweetness to it as just rocks. It gets better with a couple of years on it so get extra and stock up.

Three Philosophers is another great recommendation. JK5 shared some with me not too long ago and it was very tasty.

Tripp
03-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I don't know a lot about Belgian ales, but i'm drinking the Widmer brewmaster release '09 Belgian style ale, and its fantastic!

ashtonlady
03-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Delirium Tremins is one of my favorites. Got to love those pink elephants. :)