PDA

View Full Version : Man O' War rubusto

Legend
03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Another nicaraguan beauty made in don pepin's factory. As usual a flawless construction with a great draw and sturdy ash. Moderately oily wrapper. Starts very strong and spicy almost bitter but smooths out 3/4 of an inch in. Still very strong. It has a unique flavor that I can't quite place and not sure I like that much. About halfway through the nicotine buzz upset my stomach. My own fault for smoking to fast.

Can't rate this yet. Will try again and smoke slower.

Mr Edmundo
03-21-2009, 04:38 PM
I find these good, especially with some age on them.

Tripp
03-21-2009, 06:29 PM
I was just gifted one of these by -MG- and I can't wait to try it. Also, I believe this stick is actually rolled in Robania's factory.

duckmanco
03-21-2009, 07:48 PM
nope, not a Pepin Garcia smoke, nor a Robaina smoke, as he is one of Cuba's most revered tobacco grower. These are made by AJ Fernandez in Esteli, who supposedly grew up under the tutelage of Alejandro Robaina and has his own style of fermenting/curing. That factory is making some incredible cigars at ridiculous prices. Construction is as good as Pepin and his blending talents are equally as exciting IMO. Give these Man O' Wars another shot for sure.

FriskyDingo
03-22-2009, 12:19 AM
nope, not a Pepin Garcia smoke, nor a Robaina smoke, as he is one of Cuba's most revered tobacco grower. These are made by AJ Fernandez in Esteli, who supposedly grew up under the tutelage of Alejandro Robaina and has his own style of fermenting/curing. That factory is making some incredible cigars at ridiculous prices. Construction is as good as Pepin and his blending talents are equally as exciting IMO. Give these Man O' Wars another shot for sure.

:tpd: AJ makes some nice cigars. He's also the the guy behind the ITC 10th Anniversary and Padilla Habano and I'm sure some others. Definitely give this one another try Legend!

G G
03-22-2009, 12:25 AM
I have one of the torpedos I been meaning to smoke and still aint got around to it yet.

MarkinAZ
03-22-2009, 03:53 PM
nope, not a Pepin Garcia smoke, nor a Robaina smoke, as he is one of Cuba's most revered tobacco grower. These are made by AJ Fernandez in Esteli, who supposedly grew up under the tutelage of Alejandro Robaina and has his own style of fermenting/curing.

Correcto:tu

Catfish
03-22-2009, 05:16 PM
... That factory is making some incredible cigars at ridiculous prices.

Which others?

Legend
03-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Ok.

I've smoked a Churchill and a torpedo since. These 2 I've been able to finish and the flavor is the same on each vitola. Not exactly rare but unusual. Typically you'll get some difference. The flavor isn't exactly good. If I had to make a comparison that summed it up it would be like hot sauce or peppers. There are peppers that are hot and add flavor like poblanos or cerranos. And ones that just add heat but not necessarily good flavor. Habaneros. Tapatio sauce vs tobasco. The tobaccos chosen for the man o' war seem to have been chosen for strength and not flavor. I like strong cigars lie the LFD double liguero. And DPG Cuban classic. But not this one.

Its well made and if the flavor was good it would be a 3. But I have to give the man o' war as a line a 2 rating.

Legend
03-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I have about 5 more in the various vitolas. I'll give them about 6 months to a year and try again.

Don Fernando
03-29-2009, 01:48 PM
you don't get much from them but pepper? Are you sure you reviewed them with a clean palate? I get lots of flavors from the churchills that I have, lots of chocolate for example. I will review one soon.

Legend
03-29-2009, 02:31 PM
you don't get much from them but pepper? Are you sure you reviewed them with a clean palate? I get lots of flavors from the churchills that I have, lots of chocolate for example. I will review one soon.

I thought that might happen. The peppers are an analogy.

I get lots of different flavors. Just not very good.

Waynegro1
03-29-2009, 02:48 PM

:tpd:
I picked up a bit of pepper on the 10 or so I've smoked, but mostly chocolate and general sweetness that I taste in many Nicaraguan tobaccos. I like them, but I wouldn't consider them spicy as in tobasco. Just my :2.

Legend
03-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Hmmmm.

I'm being unclear.

The pepper analogy was to demonstrate how the cigar was strong just for the sake of being strong. Not that it was peppery. Many peppers are hot but add only spicyness and not good flavor. The man o' war similarly is strong and has tobaccos chosen for the purpose of adding strength and not necessarily good flavor.

That was my point.

Don Fernando
03-30-2009, 04:04 AM
if that is your point, I still disagree with you. I get lots of good flavor, and not an overwhelming power

Legend
03-30-2009, 08:19 AM
if that is your point, I still disagree with you. I get lots of good flavor, and not an overwhelming power

That's why they make a few thousand different cigars.

Each to his own tastes.

Jbailey
03-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Agree to disagree. Some people can pick out certain flavors that others can't, does that make someone right and the other person wrong? No. Working at a B&M I suggest a lot of cigars to a lot of people. Some of the regulars around the shop I've gotten to know what they like and don't like. They come to me asking for mild/medium/full or with certain flavors. 95% of the time I can nail it on the head, and they are excited about it. Every now and then my pick doesn't always pop for them, or they don't get the same flavors that I can pick up from a certain cigar.

just my :2

duckmanco
03-30-2009, 09:33 AM
as for the other smokes Aj Fernandez is making:

La Herencia Cubana - Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapped Nica filler and binder goodness on the cheap

Padilla Habano - need I say anything?

Sol cubano Cuban Cabinet - Ecuuadorian Habano wrapped (I believe) Nica and Honduran filled white pepper spice/sweet earthy unique goodness there.

The best part about his smokes, other than the flavor, is the construction. Flavor, draw, fill, and burn have been exemplary across the board for me so far with all the brands mentioned above.

Don Fernando
03-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Agree to disagree.

I believe that is what I did.

Ahbroody
04-15-2009, 03:31 PM
saw a special on these and reallythink I am going to bite. Been debating on these. Seeing as how the padilla habano is one of my favortie NC go to sticks this is probablly a good idea.

As they are the same price based on the deals I know of would you guys go Padilla Habano or the M o W.

Ratters
04-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Finishing up one right now. I really like these.

TheRiddick
04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Finishing up one right now. I really like these.

So, basically, Legend's ratings are "backwards"? Avoid the 4 and higher and seek out 3 and lower... :D

duckmanco
04-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Finally tried my first Man O' War torpedo, and found it pleasantly medium bodied and rich mocha-ey with minimal spice. I dug it lots.

Ratters
04-16-2009, 01:24 AM
So, basically, Legend's ratings are "backwards"? Avoid the 4 and higher and seek out 3 and lower... :D

Don't go by me, I hate Opus Xs and Cubans. :D

Legend
04-16-2009, 01:47 AM

Can you name one of my 4s or 5s? I review to be a help to my botl. Sorry if my tastes don't suit you. But no reason to ridicule. I'm trying to be a help to my botl.

TheRiddick
04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Its just strange to see a number of your reviews that have really great descriptors for a cigar to then see a middling score of, say, 3.6 or so. Doesn't compute. Especially from one who has complained about others' rating systems and consistency. You should really take a good look at yours.

TheRiddick
04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Don't go by me, I hate Opus Xs and Cubans. :D

I am in the same boat. Used to buy Opus back in mid to late '90s, decided they are just OK and not worth the price and hustle. My last box purchase of Cuban cigars was also back in '97, their quality dipped, A LOT, since then. Flavor profiles have changed as well.

Legend
04-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Its just strange to see a number of your reviews that have really great descriptors for a cigar to then see a middling score of, say, 3.6 or so. Doesn't compute. Especially from one who has complained about others' rating systems and consistency. You should really take a good look at yours.

If you read my rating system. A 3 or high 3s cigar is a darn good cigar. That's the whole point it takes a wonderful cigar to break that 4 and 5 rating. Think about it. Only about 30 cigars get up there. They are exceptional. So a high 3 in my system is a really good cigar even a low 3 is pretty darn good. So yeah maybe its like seeing hundreds of 90+ rated cigars for the middle crop of nice cigars. But I feel that's how it is. There are a lot of really nice cigars out there and a few exceptional. My system caters to distinguishing those. Which was my complaint about other systems. No way to distinguish the really good ones. Everyone is a 90+

Steelergar
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
I still have not tried all of AJ's cigars, but if you guys don't already know he has his own brand now call AJ fenandez. I know thay sell it own at cigar international.

RCS44
09-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Great cigar! I ordered a ten pack of these online with out having tried them before. I was surprised at the fullness of the cigar. Good cigar, i am aging the rest of them before i light one up again.

kelmac07
09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks for sharing. First time I smoked one of these...I was not impressed at all. After trying a few more, they were very enjoyable. IMHO, the best MOW is the Puro Authentico...it's a spice bomb. :2