PDA

View Full Version : Children of the CornBread (redux)

Mister Moo
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Cold weather is soon to be upon us. Lets clean up the dutch ovens and rusty skillets, get out the butter and get ready to rumble.

CORNBREAD!! MRS. MOO MADE SKILLET CRUNCHY CORNBREAD!!!! WOO HOO.

http://i15.tinypic.com/7x3rjnl.jpg

I love cornbread crunchy on the bottom, not crumbly.

:dr :dr :dr :dr :dr :dr

Box? We don't need no stinkin' box.

The G****et Cookbook*: Skillet cornbread (30 min)

1 1/2 C yellow cornmeal, stoneground
1T sugar
3/4 t baking sode
1/2 t salt
2 large eggs
1 3/4C well shaken buttermilk
1/2 stick softened unsalted butter
a well seasoned 9" cast iron skillet

put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 425*

heat skillet in over for 10-min

Stir cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt in a small bowl; whisk together eggs and b'milk in a medium bowl until blended.

Remove skillet from oven and add butter, swirling gently to coat bottom and sides of skillet (don't worry if butter begins to sizzle and brown around edge). Whisk hot butter into b'milk mixture and return skillet to oven. Stir c'meal into b'milk mixture just until evenly moistened but still lumpy.

Scrape batter into hot skillet and bake until golden - 20-25-min.

Turn onto a rack to cool slightly (upside down).

Serve warm.

Perhect with pintos, bean soup or BBQ. Or all those things at once.

(Some purist country boys say this is actually JohnnieCake a'cause it has a microscopic amount of sugar in it. Whatever. I say JohnnyCake is baked way thinner and has a lot more sugar than 1T per 1 1/2C of cornmeal.)

DrDubzz
10-16-2008, 10:40 PM
sounds good man, my wife makes some mean coanbrayed

replicant_argent
10-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Crunchy cornbread, crumb that holds together and doesn't fall apart. Warm. Slightly sweet.

Cold butter applied in excess..

You don't need a side dish, that should be the main, and only course, at times.

Jason
10-16-2008, 11:18 PM
this is important and I am glad to see it reduxed :D

this is good eats

Mister Moo
10-17-2008, 06:22 AM
this is important and I am glad to see it reduxedHad too; it's the only place where I look for the recipe. I never know where Mrs. Moo leaves the cookbook.

mugwump
10-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Even after living in the South I'm still a heretic who prefers his cornbread fluffy and sweet with lots of honey on top. Yum!

jaycarla
10-17-2008, 10:40 PM
My first CA threadjack........just something to add for those that love cornbread and BBQ.

Take your recipe that you like, and this one looks great, and add 2-3 cups of pulled pork. Preferably some that still has some good fat pieces on it. Mix it with your mixture, bake it in cast iron skillet and cut like a pie.

I also drizzle some of the sauce I make on top. Yum.

A great way to use some of your leftover pork if you are anything like me and make 10-20 lbs when you fire up the smoker.

Jason
10-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Had too; it's the only place where I look for the recipe. I never know where Mrs. Moo leaves the cookbook.

:eek:

tonight I found:

white t-shirts in my sock drawer
peppermill in the cereal cabinet

support group?

rizzle
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
I loves me some cornbread. Told my wife last night it's cornbread time. Gonna have some with a big pot of red beans and rice come Sunday.:tu

TheTraveler
10-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Cornbread rocks! I grew up in the South and my wife is originally from Indiana so we always have the sweet & fluffy vs southern style debate.

Something to try if you want: fry 4 or 5 pieces of bacon in your cast iron skillet while the oven is preheating. Remove the bacon and pour in the batter - leave the bacon grease in the skillet. It makes a tasty crunchy bottom layer. Good stuff!

bookman
10-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Mmmmm!! I was looking for a good cornb recipee.

kelmac07
10-06-2009, 05:48 AM
MMM I love me some cornbread!!!

Bax
10-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Just had some last night...from a box though. Was still pretty good!

Cenookie
10-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I was born and raised in the south and I LOVE me some cornbread. Sometimes I just get a big bowl and crumble some cornbread in it and pour buttermilk over it and sprinkle a spoon full of sugar on top. Absolutely heavenly:dr:dr.

slickster81
10-07-2009, 07:33 AM
I love to make cornbread to go with my chili, and I usually add some diced jalapenos for a little extra kick, I am totally going to try this one with my next pot of chili!

Labman
10-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Dear God above that looks good!!