PDA

View Full Version : Portland, OR. Visiting, what to do?

WWhermit
03-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Going to check out a possible job in Portland, OR, and will be there for 4 days. Having never been there, what's good to do there, besides stand in the rain?

I'll be there over Easter weekend. Also, for the pipers out there, are there any good pipe stores in the Portland, Vancouver WA area?

WWhermit
:pi:

JE3146
03-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Hmm.... I think we need a stumptown herf :D

As for things to do... check out the local breweries. Multnomah Falls (if you have a rental car).. can check out the waterfront...

Drat
03-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Some of the best public skateboard parks in the world are around the portland area. Also, some of the best craft breweries. I suggest checking out beerfly for reviews of bars http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/

Cigargal
03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
I enjoyed some pub hopping in old town and went to Powell's Bookstore-huge! We visited one enormous Rose garden and herfed with the Stumptown boys-:wo

Send a pm to vstromMark-he will be home tomorrow from NZ.

Tripp
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Having never been there, what's good to do there, besides stand in the rain?

Umm, herf with us?!!:ss What else?

Do you know what part of town you'll be in? Most of us Stumptown herfers are West of the city.

I'm not a piper, but from what I've seen and heard, Cascade Cigar & Tobacco seems to have a pretty good selection of pipe baccy.

WWhermit
03-16-2009, 04:18 PM
I'll actually be staying in a Lodge just east of Vancouver, WA, but for business purposes, will probably be spending most of my time in Portland.

I'll also be scouting out the possibility of moving up there in a few years, so want to check out the difference between Vancouver and Portland, cost of living, etc.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. Gives me something to work with.

WWhermit

coffeemonkey
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I'll actually be staying in a Lodge just east of Vancouver, WA, but for business purposes, will probably be spending most of my time in Portland.

I'll also be scouting out the possibility of moving up there in a few years, so want to check out the difference between Vancouver and Portland, cost of living, etc.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. Gives me something to work with.

WWhermit

Keep in mind sales tax in WA, income tax in OR, NO vice versa. Vancouver used to be the more affordable place to live, but the commute into Portland can be a bear. The rain stories are a little overblown, the Seattle-Portland corridor get less rain than many other cities including Denver, NY and Chicago. The difference is the number of sunny days, we have fewer sunny days. The Pacific Northwest really is a beautiful part of the country though and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

If you are into books, check out Powell's books. The main store is downtown. Awesome store for book lovers, and everyone else too. :ss

markem
03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
THE pipe store in Portland is Rich's (http://www.richscigar.com/)

both of my good pipes are from them, although I like some of the blends that Paul's Cigars has and you can smoke in their west side (Beaverton) store.

For a cigar, there is no place better than a Stumptown herf. Rumors abound (as far as I can tell ... I'm jet lagged) that a herf at the Shilo is planned. Give us real dates (I'm Catholic, but have no idea when Easter is) and we'll "git er done".