PDA

View Full Version : fresh everything french press....hmmmm?

Hardcz
03-15-2009, 08:16 AM
So I got this amazing indoor home roaster... found I was burning the beans beyond charcoal... :wo

Anyways, so I get some beans that area roasted to a good degree, try my first hand at a burr grinder, get it roughly in the middle of course and fine...per the instructions for french pressing....

I have a 4 cup french press, that gets roughly 18 oz in it.

So I use my spoon and pull out roughly 4 tabespoons of beans...ok slightly more, they aren't leveled off spoon fulls...

put it in the grinder, grind it up, put it in the press, add water, stir, sits for 2-5 minutes, I press and PRESTO CHANGE O!!! I have coffee!!!

Something I've noticed with the coffee I've been roasting versus store bought and the whirly bird grinder is that it's a lot darker and a lot stronger. Am I using too much you think? Maybe this is how it was SUPPOSED to be?

http://www.monster-munch.com/images/SmileYourCoffeeLovesYou.jpg

dillio
03-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Am I using too much you think?

Why don't you invite a BOTL over dor a taste test?

King James
03-15-2009, 08:26 AM
why is your coffee smiling at me?

germantown rob
03-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Your happy cup of coffee has motivated me to make a cup.

Volt
03-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Practice makes perfect

drob
03-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a 4 cup Bodum that holds 32 ozs. I grind 3 heaping tablespoons of beans (works out to 4 tbs of grounds) on coarse.

Works for me.

Hardcz
03-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Why don't you invite a BOTL over dor a taste test?

Because "a BOTL" don't answer his phone..... :fu

why is your coffee smiling at me?

I think it likes you :hf

Your happy cup of coffee has motivated me to make a cup.

:wo You the man! I love your coffee.

Practice makes perfect

So are you trying to say I'm using the correct portions or maybe something is different? :r

Hardcz
03-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a 4 cup Bodum that holds 32 ozs. I grind 3 heaping tablespoons of beans (works out to 4 tbs of grounds) on coarse.

Works for me.

Believe the one I have is referring to the 6 oz coffee "cup"

HMMMMMMM I Dunno... hoping the higher powers can chime in here.

kayaker
03-15-2009, 10:26 AM
I use ~1/3 of a cup of beans in my 4cup bodum (almost exactly what my whirly can hold). Works perfect.

At home I have a larger whirly. I put ~7 heaping teaspoons of ground coffee in my 4 cup.

My guess is you may need different amount of coffee for different beans.

Mister Moo
03-15-2009, 02:05 PM
While 1T ground coffee per 4-oz. water is a good starting point, a smiling cup of coffee would trump all suggested measurements, IMO.

Wow. Just wow. I've been making the stuff for years and never had one smile back at me.

drob
03-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Believe the one I have is referring to the 6 oz coffee "cup"

HMMMMMMM I Dunno... hoping the higher powers can chime in here.

I get 5 six oz cups from this. You may prefer yours stronger or weaker. Like I said, this works for me, might not work for you.

smokehouse
03-16-2009, 04:44 AM

Works for me.

This is the same for me too and it works for me. But hey everyone is different. Best thing to do is just taste test and see what you like best. Different beans will also be stronger than others. Then you got the roast level and rest factor in there too.

germantown rob
03-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Variations of bean amount and steep time are things you can easily change to alter your cup experience. I don't alter much anymore but there was a learning curve that went on for a while where I dialed in what I like.

take a look at this press pot brewing (http://www.peets.com/learn/coffee_methods.asp)

SeanGAR
03-16-2009, 06:29 AM
I use 55g/L and press within 20-30 seconds. In fact, I think I'll go make one now. I prefer to go by weight because volume depends on the grind.

Hardcz
03-16-2009, 06:32 AM
suppose I should get a good digital zero out scale one of these days.

germantown rob
03-16-2009, 07:24 AM
I use 55g/L and press within 20-30 seconds. In fact, I think I'll go make one now. I prefer to go by weight because volume depends on the grind.

20-30 sec...3-5min...it's all good :tu.

Scales come in handy for roasting as well :D.

Hardcz
03-16-2009, 07:25 AM
I don't even know anymore, you guys talk about ounces as in volume but also ounces as in weight, IM SO CONFUSED AHHHHH!!!!

germantown rob
03-16-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't even know anymore, you guys talk about ounces as in volume but also ounces as in weight, IM SO CONFUSED AHHHHH!!!!

Well, if you got a scale you would figure it out, lol. A coffee scoop is approximately 7 grams of beans, but a scale would show you that this is going to vary. It matters when the weight gets up there since you are compounding the difference with every scoop. I don't use a scale much for brewing anymore unless I move away from a normal brew amount. A scale will defiantly help dial in the taste you like and make it repeatable.

Hardcz
03-16-2009, 07:43 AM
blaspheme!

ashtonlady
03-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Or you can do what I do and wing it. :D

SeanGAR
03-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Metric ... grams and liters -- keep it simple.

Sancho
03-20-2009, 07:28 PM
coffee is good, we should compare sometime. I prefer roughly 4 rounded tablespoons per 32oz bodum