TripleF
03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I frequently see the word HABANO used on NC (non-cuban) cigars:

Pinar Del Rio Habano Sun Grown
Perdomo Habano
Padilla Habano
Cusano LXI Habano Sun Grown
and on and on and on and on....

The thing that throws me for a loop is that HABANOS generally refers to cc (cuban cigars)....

A guy started a HABANO pass thread and I thought he was referring to the above HABANO's not HABANA's. I was wrong.

Why do we never see the word HABANO used on a cc label, always HABANA.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang, now I think I'm more confused...

Looking forward to the answer, because I am HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Habano fan!!!

bobarian
03-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Habana=Havana=City
Habanos is most commonly associated with LCDH La Case De Habanos the official store for Habanos, S.A. the worldwide distributor of Cuban Cigars.

croatan
03-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Ciudad de la Habana is the city (Havana). Habano means something from Habana.

Habana (as opposed to Habano) is typically on the label of a Cuban cigar for the same reason Nicaragua, as opposed to Nicaraguan, would be on the label of a cigar from that country.

I believe that non-Cuban cigar companies use the term to denote Cuban-seed tobacco, a cigar supposedly in the style of a Cuban cigar, or just for marketing reasons.

DPD6030
03-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Good question Scott.

Mr.Maduro
03-11-2009, 11:06 AM
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habano&ei=fe-3SZDUOOPetgfqkKGmCQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=7&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhabanos%2Bsite:wikipedia.org%26hl%3De n%26rlz%3D1T4RNWN_enUS273US277%26sa%3DX

shilala
03-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey Scoot, this is some info on Habano wrappers. If you haven't tried a Padilla Habano yet, get up on it. They're awesome. :)

"In the non-Cuban cigar industry, the wrapper shade scale is expanded to include shades such as Candela (vegetal green) and Oscuro (black). “Habano wrapper/shade” is used in the non-Cuban industry to describe cigars that are Colorado or Colorado Maduro. “Habano wrapper” may also refer to cigars that are produced with “Cuban seed” tobacco; meaning that the tobacco in the cigar is not genuine Cuban tobacco but tobacco derived from original Cuban tobacco seeds but grown elsewhere such as the Dominican Republic or North America."

To make matters even more confusing, if you live in Havana, you are a Habano. Just like if you live in Florida you are a Floridian.
Add to that, habano just means "cigar" in Spanish.
I saw that thread where you got confused, and I can easily see why you did, because a "Habano Pass" means you would be passing Cubans who live in Havana.
Unless you're a spanish speaking individual, in which case it'd be a Habano Pase, rather than a Habano Pass.
If I had read it and I hadn't guessed they wanted to pass cc's, I'd have thought it was an all Habano wrapper pass when I saw the thread title, and I'd have gotten in. :D
Then we'd both be in the same knucklehead boat. :r
Since we're there, we might as well go fishin'. Whatta ya say?

TripleF
03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Hey Scoot, this is some info on Habano wrappers. If you haven't tried a Padilla Habano yet, get up on it. They're awesome. :)

"In the non-Cuban cigar industry, the wrapper shade scale is expanded to include shades such as Candela (vegetal green) and Oscuro (black). “Habano wrapper/shade” is used in the non-Cuban industry to describe cigars that are Colorado or Colorado Maduro. “Habano wrapper” may also refer to cigars that are produced with “Cuban seed” tobacco; meaning that the tobacco in the cigar is not genuine Cuban tobacco but tobacco derived from original Cuban tobacco seeds but grown elsewhere such as the Dominican Republic or North America."

To make matters even more confusing, if you live in Havana, you are a Habano. Just like if you live in Florida you are a Floridian.
I saw that thread where you got confused, and I can easily see why you did, because a "Habano Pass" means you would be passing Cubans who live in Havana.
Unless you're a spanish speaking individual, in which case it'd be a Habano Pase, rather than a Habano Pass.
If I had read it and I hadn't guessed they wanted to pass cc's, I'd have thought it was an all Habano wrapper pass when I saw the thread title, and I'd have gotten in. :D

Mights well.

mrreindeer
03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Great thread & great responses; this was killing me too. :tu

shilala
03-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Mights well.
I'll bring the Habanos. :D

MarkinAZ
03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
:confused:My heads spinning. I gotta get out of this thread:ss

ucla695
03-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Good info here. I always thought it was a marketing scheme and haven't really paid attention to it.

Starscream
03-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Good info here. I always thought it was a marketing scheme and haven't really paid attention to it.

:tpd:
Thanks for the info.

Sailchaser
03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
My wife makes me write HABANOS on the chaulk board when I'm bad
Thanks for the question and the great responses

theonlybear4CORT
03-11-2009, 09:11 PM
This is how I felt after reading all the postshttp://i38.tinypic.com/ir5405.jpg

Lots of good info by the way.

Fumador
03-12-2009, 10:02 PM
This is how I felt after reading all the postshttp://i38.tinypic.com/ir5405.jpg

Lots of good info by the way.

Is this scene from a Star Trek movie? It is hilarious.

theonlybear4CORT
03-12-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't really know i just saw it one day and saved it just for this occasion.

alley00p
03-12-2009, 10:51 PM
I'll bring the Habanos. :D

So, what exactly are you bringing, Scott? :confused:

Cuban Nationals to bait your hooks and clean your catch?

Or something tasty to smoke?

Now I'm really confused!!! :ss

:wo

:dance:

SixPackSunday
03-12-2009, 10:58 PM

maybe he's using cuban nationals to smoke and plans on fishing with cigars!

good thread though. for reals.

shilala
03-13-2009, 08:43 AM

You'll have to go fishin' with us and find out. :r

Legend
03-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm with shiala its been my understanding that Habano on a NC refers to the reddish color Cuban seed wrapper. But that's just me.