PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitoes are back :(

landhoney
03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Had some visitors I have not had in months smoking outside my house this evening. I guess 'winter' is over here in south Florida. :mad:
I need to find a decent solution that allows me to stay cool (ie no long sleeves/ pants)
Funny, up north the cold keep you guys from smoking often outdoors, whereas down here the summer is going to cut my smoking way back.
Guess I'll be at my B&M more and more pretty soon.

Mugen910
03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I thought smoke scares them away?

WildBlueSooner
03-10-2009, 08:51 PM
They are popping up in Louisiana too. I use citronella candles which help some.

landhoney
03-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I thought smoke scares them away?

The only thing that works is lighting up four Dunhill Cabinettas and placing them around you. Nothing else works. It works, but I'm getting pretty low. :r

Seriously though, they must have been hibernating and living of their fat reserves and now they are HUNGRY and nothing will get in their way, because the cigar smoke is not working. I'm looking like a raisin at the moment.

Nabinger16
03-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Them little bastards need to come around in the winter when no one really wants to go outside anyway!

Bear
03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Here's an interesting article for you (by the University of Florida no less!)

http://news.ufl.edu/2005/05/19/mosquito-traps/

I especially like the part where the scientist says "He is concluding a study that showed CO2 traps were significantly outperformed by traps that used live hosts as bait."

I guess what you need to do is lure an unsuspecting victim to your smoking area and hope that their blood is sweeter than yours! :r

shvictor
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I hate Mosquitoes, but they freakin love me...If there is one mosquito within 15 miles of my house it will bite me..

Ashcan Bill
03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I thought all you guys had screened in patios to keep them critters out? Heck, I've seen what looked like entire yards in Florida that were screened in. Doesn't it work?

newcigarz
03-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Had some visitors I have not had in months smoking outside my house this evening. I guess 'winter' is over here in south Florida. :mad:
I need to find a decent solution that allows me to stay cool (ie no long sleeves/ pants)
Funny, up north the cold keep you guys from smoking often outdoors, whereas down here the summer is going to cut my smoking way back.

Seth, no screened lanai?

Smokin Gator
03-11-2009, 05:40 AM
I usually smoke on my porch which is screened. Works great for the mosquitos, but the dang no see ums barely notice the screen.

macpappy
03-11-2009, 06:08 AM

Please keep your pants on.

The mosquitos I can tolerate if they are not too bad. What I hate are the GNATS.

taltos
03-11-2009, 06:11 AM
As far as the gnats go, the Drill Instructors and permanant personnel at Parris Island had a trick to dealing with them, they used Skin So Soft from Avon. It kept the sand fleas (gnats, noseeums) away from them and on the recruits where they belonged.

Starscream
03-11-2009, 06:12 AM
It's that time of year again. Mosquitoes and gnats are bad in the south. I didn't think that the mosquitoes ever went away in Florida. You guys have mosquitoes the size of dump trucks down there.

goalie204
03-11-2009, 07:09 AM
http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Manitoba/mosquito_capital_of_canada.htm

Lol. Marc and I were just talking about this last night. /threadjack off

get the thing Marc talked about!

Mugen910
03-11-2009, 07:31 AM
can you rent bats to eat them up?

DPD6030
03-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Two words = Mosquito Deleteo :)

Mugen910
03-11-2009, 07:49 AM
one word = Huh?

King James
03-11-2009, 08:28 AM
they aren't here....yet. You guys can keep 'em! :tu

ucla695
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Man, I hate those things. Eat a lot of garlic and nothing will want to come close to you. :D

MTB996
03-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I am in the process of getting quotes for a screened back porch for this very reason. I am sick of getting eaten up while enjoying a good cigar and drink at night.

taltos
03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Come on up north in the spring and discover our salt marsh mosquitos, green head flies, horse flies and the nasty little black flies. The black flies alone make me miss the sand fleas.

Genetic Defect
03-11-2009, 08:08 PM
eucalyptus oil

Genetic Defect
03-11-2009, 08:14 PM
RECIPE: 2 cups white vinegar, 1 cup Skin-So-Soft (Avon's), 1 cup water, 1 Tablespoon Eucalyptus Oil.
Fill any spray bottle

found this on a website

rizzle
03-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Mosquitoes don't bother us much, although I did crush a huge one a couple of nights ago that somehow found its way in the house.

But sitting on the dock last weekend, the noseeums are definitely back, and those little bastards aren't playing.

Starscream
03-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Rub fabric softener sheets on your exposed skin. Mosquitoes will not come near you (and you smell good too:)).

shilala
03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm half-ass allergic to mosquito bites. If I get more than 10 or 12 I get dizzy, labored breathing and gotta get out of Dodge immediately.
Skin-so-soft is worthless. I bought into that story once. :)
It does work on gnats, but not as good as OFF! Active in the pump bottle. (http://www.offprotects.com/insect-repellent/)
I keep 3 or 4 bottles of that stuff around for all occasions and it works great. It even keeps sweat flies off of me when I'm mowing grass at the ball field, and that's the main reason I use it.

I used to battle mosquitos at my last home (the farm) and managed to control them by keeping water dishes, buckets, and any standing water dried up. It was a "house rule" that a bucket was to be turned upside-down at all times.
Promoting bats with a bat house (http://maryt.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/manic-monday-5/) works wonders. A few of them carefully deployed will keep enough bats that you'll be stylin.
If you have one of those slackwater Florida ditches behind your house, you're kinda out of luck. A gallon of malathion dumped in there every now and again will help, but it depends how much water is coming in.
The trick with skeeters is that you have to battle the cycle on all fronts. If you kill the larvae with malathion in the water, have bats pounding them in the air, and manage the water holes where they breed, you can honestly pound them into submission. At least I can here in PA. :)

landhoney
03-12-2009, 09:43 AM
A ton of funny resposes here guys, thanks it really made me chuckle.
No I do not have a screened enclosure, no one has them in our community - they may be non-HOA compliant, I don't know. I think a Gazebo with those roll down screens would work, I'd like to get one of those.

I will try the methods suggested and report back with the results. Stay tuned.......

Genetic Defect
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Listerine ;)

landhoney
03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Listerine ;)

You're just trying to get me to put wacko things on my body! ;):r

Genetic Defect
03-12-2009, 12:31 PM
You're just trying to get me to put wacko things on my body! ;):r

the eucalyptus oil in Listerine is what works, I spray the chair area etc. that is why that recipe I posted earlier should work or I'll smoke a Cohiba :r