PDA

View Full Version : Some fine cigar reporting

TheRiddick
03-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Received some new rag, for the beverage industry, a complimentary copy with an attached subscription form. OK, have a few minutes to kill, start looking at articles and intended audience, seems to be aimed mostly at twitter crowd. So far, so good...

Get to an article by some hack who wrote an article on a bottle of Cognac made in 1770 and served at some chic London hotel's bar. Hmmm... $5800 per shot. OK, let's read on, I love good Cognac. The article describes how this supposed "oldest" bottle of Cognac known to exist made its way to the hotel's bar. I am kind of going along, hey, some things could happen (you might need to inhale, though).

Then the hack mentions that there is also a nicely stocked cigar humidor to go along with the choice libations served at the bar and mentioned a number of PRE-EMBARGO cigars/brands including TRINIDAD. Oh, I see now, I am sure now that bottle of 1770 Cognac is as genuine.

About 2 weeks ago, San Francisco Chronicle, the fine rag such as it is, had an article on Peter Coyote and his love of cigars, specifically. He went into a long discourse on how he started with cigars as a kid when his father's friend, some rich and well known guy, had a fine humidor stocked up with the best Cuban cigars produced, COHIBA included.

The kicker? Coyote is referring to the 1940-1950s.

Cohiba my ass...

:ss

Footbag
03-10-2009, 06:25 PM
I've read it so many times I can almost see it...

This brand did not exist before the revolution.:ss

Official shenanigans!

SmokinApe
03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
People like this should be held accountable...

stearns
03-10-2009, 06:55 PM
talk about pre-release

stearns

SmokinCozy
03-10-2009, 07:08 PM
You don't believe what you read? :rolleyes:

lightning9191
03-10-2009, 08:36 PM

I believe everything I read.....I figure it is all very well researched :r

TheRiddick
03-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Sure I do! That's why I read the fine (online) SF Chron and some other rags :-)) I think National Inquirer has more truth in it than many of these "journalistic establishments".

Have no idea why it is so difficult to hire people who actually know the subjects they are asked to write about. But the biggest surprise is people like Coyote who bills himself as cigar lover and most likely believes the drivel he is spouting.

macpappy
03-11-2009, 06:01 AM
People like this should be held accountable...

:r:r:
"reporters" being held accountable?
:r:r:

mosesbotbol
03-11-2009, 06:34 AM
$5800 a shot sounds like too much for even a bottle that old. I have had Madeira that old and the whole bottle is not much more than that. I think Alize in Vegas has Congac bottle of similar age for less a shot.

Perhaps Coyote's is remembering the way he did, but our memories are usually not exact depictions of the past. They get altered when we recall them.

Don Fernando
03-11-2009, 06:45 AM
I thought the glass top Cohiba's were pre-embargo

TheRiddick
03-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Moses,

I am sure Coyote's memory has been "altered", I don't even doubt that. I am also sure its not cigar smoking that did it :-)

SmokinCozy
03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Moses,

I am sure Coyote's memory has been "altered", I don't even doubt that. I am also sure its not cigar smoking that did it :-)

Maybe he used the wrapper from an inexpensive cigar :rolleyes: