PDA

View Full Version : Tatuaje Unicos

JJG
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I usually don't write reviews but this one definitely deserved some recognition. First off I should say that this isn't my first Tat brown. I've always liked them but they never stood out flavor-wise in any discernible way.

I guess now that I've been smoking for a while, this is what I look for and the reason I have been moving away from NC cigars in the last few years. A cigar just has to have something special for me, a unique flavor beyond just normal tobacco leather,spice,cocoa.

I mostly smoke Bolivars but you can notice it in most Cubans. I guess what people call twang. They just taste different but it's hard to pin down exactly what it is you're tasting. A good non-Cuban example would be the Padron 64's They don't taste anything like a Cuban but they have a very unique sweet taste that you can count on every time. However I must say that this past weekend's little Tat impressed me more than any NC cigar I have ever had.

Personally I've become skeptical when people say this or that "tastes Cuban" and I'm not claiming this one did either but it did have a unique tangy floral flavor that I've never experienced before in a NC. It didn't taste like any particular Cuban I've had but I remember thinking it could pass for one.

Also pleasantly absent was the "nose sting" that has turned me off to most DPG cigars. If I can't get a good whiff without it being painful, what's the point? Letting the smoke drift up my nose is how I experience probably 95% of the "taste" of a cigar.

Burn, ash, draw, etc. were all perfect. Do yourself a favor and let these dry out for at least a few days before smoking. I let this one sit unhumidified for a full week. (I also live in Houston so this may not be ideal for people in areas with very low humidity)

I still recommend making the leap into CCs to anyone who hasn't done so yet. You wont look at NC smokes in the same way ever again. :tu but, since most of us can't walk into a B&M and pick out a legit Cohiba, I highly recommend giving one of these a shot in the mean time.

elderboy02
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
This is my favorite Tatuaje cigar. :)

jwintosh
03-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmm, brown label!!

ucla695
03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the review. Tatuaje Browns are one of my favorite NCs and I totally agree with you that they need to be dry-boxed for a little while.

MithShrike
03-04-2009, 12:08 PM
I like them. The Havana Cazadores are my favorite shape though. Definitely a good stick those Unicos.

JJG
03-04-2009, 02:54 PM
This is my favorite Tatuaje cigar. :)

I've smoked a handful of the Tainos but they were nothing alike. The Tainos felt under filled and burned my nose a little bit. They didn't have the same wonderful floral taste as these either.

TXRebel
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the review. :tu

I just ordered a couple of Unicos and Havana VI Artistas.