PDA

View Full Version : I just smoked a cigar more than twice my age.

MithShrike
03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Tim at Habanos Torres brought out a big bale of tobacco gifted to him by his grandfather over 15 years ago. This tobacco is now approximately 50 years old. Tim made then into two shapes Caņanazo and Esplendido. It was absolutely amazing. A dollar a year but truly the BEST cigar I have ever smoked. It was ridiculously smooth, had a Cubanesque twang, a mild white pepper spice, a creaminess that didn't quit, and a slightly herbal flavor that I really enjoyed. Absolutely amazing... did I say that already?

SmokinCozy
03-04-2009, 12:47 AM
pretty expensive stick but for the enjoyment you received.....well worth it.:dr

MithShrike
03-04-2009, 06:43 AM
pretty expensive stick but for the enjoyment you received.....well worth it.:dr

It's probably the first and last of these that I will smoke but yes, definitely worth it.

RHNewfie
03-04-2009, 06:53 AM
I have been lucky enough to smoke a few of Tim's cigars (one from our friend Matt here) and I still have a 30yo resting. They are all excellent!!

md4958
03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Just wondering Matt, did you get any insight as to the storage and handling of the baccy? How do they keep the tobacco supple enough for so long, without developing mold issues?

Waynegro1
03-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Sounds AMAZING!! Sounds even better then drinking scotch that's old enough to buy it's own scotch. :D
Can you say, envious?

MithShrike
03-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Just wondering Matt, did you get any insight as to the storage and handling of the baccy? How do they keep the tobacco supple enough for so long, without developing mold issues?

Tim has small quantities maybe at most 100lbs of this tobacco. He has a temperature and humidity controlled room in his house where he stores his tobacco as well as temperature and humidity controlled rolling rooms in each of his shops. He keeps the tobacco on cedar shelves in plastic bags and occasionally goes through his tobacco supplies for stuff that he is aging longer and rotates the tobacco and inspects it. He also has some tobacco hanging and that is going to be for a very special occasion. I've been looking at those leaves for the last four years...

MedicCook
03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a great cigar.

promethius
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
sounds tasty, congrats on your experience. I think the oldest I have had are a couple monty#2's that were about 4 years old. Have a few left, guess they are about 5 now, might be time to try them again :)

ahc4353
03-04-2009, 09:19 AM
That is so cool.

I would love to do that but CC tobacco is not that old. :D

Scottw
03-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Sounds awesome, glad you enjoyed, seems worth the price.