PDA

View Full Version : Any firearm experts here? (specifically sig)?

Sauer Grapes
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Bought a pre-owned safe queen that the owner claimed he never fired and was the original owner. Got it yesterday and I think "never been fired" must mean put a few clips through it. Gun is VERY clean, and looks great, but it appears the outside of the barrel shows signs of it being fired. My FFL, who isn't an expert agrees with my assumption. I wanted to get another opinion before emailing the seller. Of course, buyer beware always comes into play when buying anything "used."

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww330/greerzilla/IMG_0412.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww330/greerzilla/IMG_0413.jpg

My other sig, which has been fired countless times has MUCH more of the finish on the outside of the barrel worn off, but to me this doesn't look like something that the barrel would get from just taking the firearm down and putting it back together.

M1903A1
02-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Hmm...could somebody have been racking the slide a lot?

King James
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
do factories test fire?

I know absolutely nothing but just threw it out there

I will go back to my corner now and wait for the experts haha

elderboy02
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Hmm...could somebody have been racking the slide a lot?

That is what I am thinking.

Sauer Grapes
02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Always possible, but wouldn't it take A LOT of racking to do that. He claims it was a safe queen and I wouldn't think he'd take it out and rack the slide a lot. Either way, it's *close* to new.

Smokin Gator
02-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Yep... close to new!! Looks like to me it has more than just a few clips... but in the end it doesn't matter. If you got a good price then you have a GREAT piece at a good price.

JE3146
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
What color box did it come in?

If it came in a red box, it's considered a CPO Sig, in which case it's a used gun that has been certified as 'like new.'

Clearly judging from the slide alone that is not a new piece.

Granted I'd take a used Sig over most new guns nowadays.

And Magazines people! Magazines! Put down the moonshine and talk like gun owners, not yokels :D

JaKaacH
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Look at the breech face to see how "new" it looks there.
Thats where a lot of action takes place when the gun is fired, like stripping a round out of the clip-pushing it into the chamber-cartridge pushing against it when fired all in micro seconds.

Miller Lite is fine.

Nick
Manufacturers test fire the firearms so even if the previous owner never had fired it it still would have a few magazines through it. You still got a nice pistol at almost brand new condition. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

Sauer Grapes
Black case. I think it's *roughly* 8 years old or so.

My other sig was cpo and came in a red one.

tunes
I'm not an expert but I have a Glock 30 with more than it's fair share of rounds through it and it looks about the same... if the price is right and every thing seems tight, who cares?

Drat
02-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I sold handguns for 2 years during college (legitimately, I swear!) and would have to say that our display guns had the slides pulled a lot, and I mean A LOT and they never looked that worn. That one has had more than a few rounds through it. Hell of a cleaning job on it though...

Sauer Grapes
02-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Manufacturers test fire the firearms so even if the previous owner never had fired it it still would have a few magazines through it. You still got a nice pistol at almost brand new condition. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

Yeah, but to me it looks like more than a few rounds. Still less than a box or two of ammo.

Sauer Grapes
02-27-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not an expert but I have a Glock 30 with more than it's fair share of rounds through it and it looks about the same... if the price is right and every thing seems tight, who cares?

Hmm... I'm not sure how a sig would show differently than a glock though. The glock I used to have never showed any wear like that either, so I dunno.

floydpink
02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
If it was mine, I would take the barrel out and check the frame and make sure there are no machine burrs rubbing on it, which I suspect there is.

A light sanding with very fine sandpaper would smooth that out. I would then rub a small amount of Militec grease on the barell every time I cleaned it.

JE3146
02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
If it was mine, I would take the barrel out and check the frame and make sure there are no machine burrs rubbing on it, which I suspect there is.

A light sanding with very fine sandpaper would smooth that out. I would then rub a small amount of Militec grease on the barell every time I cleaned it.

That is typical Sig barrel wear. Unless you're referring to something else.

My P229 shows the same wear on the barrel. It's a rub point by design.

JohnnyFlake
02-27-2009, 08:00 PM
The shinny area on the barrel can develop quickly as it appears to be in the area that the slide bushing locks the barrel into battery when the weapon is ready to be fired. That is usually a very close tolerance fit. Simply racking the weapon a fair number of times could cause that.

There are two areas that should tell you if the gun has been fired more than a few times and they are the Feed Ramp on the barrel and the Breech Face, especially within a 3/8" circle surrounding the firing pin opening. It is very difficult to remove all signs of wear and burnt carbon that develops in those areas, especially on the Breech Face where the primer and cartridge case slam against it and ever so slightly cause very minor indentations over time.

If you have a jewelers eye piece (5X / 7X) use it and the slightest amount of true wear, brass residue and/or carbon residue will become evident, if the weapon has been fired very much.

BTW which model is it. I can't see very much of it and it's hard to tell.

floydpink
02-27-2009, 08:08 PM
That is typical Sig barrel wear. Unless you're referring to something else.

My P229 shows the same wear on the barrel. It's a rub point by design.

I'm not too familiar with Sigs but am with Kel Tecs, which are famous for burrs and all kinds of stuff that needs minor gunsmithing.

I'd imagine Sigs are different though and much better made.

I'd also guess it's cosmetic and nothing to worry about, but I'm a revolver fan.

Sauer Grapes
02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
It's a P229 Two Toned.

The feed ramp looks spotless and shows no signs.

I posted the same pics on sigforum and the consensus was that it was never fired outside of the factory. They said all of their new ones come looking like that and they call them smileys.

Sauer Grapes
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm not too familiar with Sigs but am with Kel Tecs, which are famous for burrs and all kinds of stuff that needs minor gunsmithing.

I'd imagine Sigs are different though and much better made.

I'd also guess it's cosmetic and nothing to worry about, but I'm a revolver fan.

It is definitely only a cosmetic thing. I've only had sig CPOs before this, and they have much more marking than this one.

My only concern was that I was told it was never fired. I believe the seller was truthful now.

Thanks for all the input guys! I should post pics of the entire firearm someday. (I actually almost have twins, but the other isn't near as good condition as this most recent one.) I'm thinking of getting the other one refinished, but I can't decide on color combos (nothing too crazy though).

M1903A1
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Always possible, but wouldn't it take A LOT of racking to do that. He claims it was a safe queen and I wouldn't think he'd take it out and rack the slide a lot.

Never underestimate somebody foaming over their new toy! (I speak from personal experience!:rolleyes:)

Thrak
02-28-2009, 12:27 PM
I've got a few sigs and that is very normal for a nib... my P250 had twice as many (if not more) barrel marks than that...

I would not be worried.

What is it? A P239 SAS?

Sauer Grapes
02-28-2009, 12:29 PM
I've got a few sigs and that is very normal for a nib... my P250 had twice any many (if not more) barrel marks than that...

I would not be worried.

Thanks. SigForum also said very normal and about the average marking. Some have less, many even have more NIB. They call them "smileys"

Genetic Defect
02-28-2009, 12:29 PM
did you register it and tell the BATF you have it?

Thrak
02-28-2009, 12:40 PM
did you register it and tell the BATF you have it?

You have to register every gun you own in WI?? I dont. :p

Genetic Defect
02-28-2009, 12:42 PM
You have to register every gun you own in WI?? I dont. :p

depends how I buy it :) I was jibbing at the proposed :bs bill:D

RGD.
02-28-2009, 04:53 PM
You know I bought my Sig last year and have not fired it at all. Racked maybe 4 or 5 times. Will check it when I get back and let you know what it looks like.

Ron