PDA

View Full Version : Any M$ 2003 Server gurus out there?

Volt
02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Ok, known issue all over the internet but I can't track down a fix.

Issue: Shares are becoming unshared at random times. No files disappear. The folder cannot be re-shared, the option is not there to share when I right click on the folder. The folder is automatically re-shared after a reboot and the clients can use their files with no issues. XP clients. No domain, simple file server, I do not have access to the DNS server but do not suspect a duplicate name/IP as the folder is becoming "unshared" not just unavailable.

I have no problems connecting to it long distance over the Internet. So, my first thoughts are DNS, NIC, etc are all good. This problem based on research seems to affect various types of 2003 servers.

2003 Enterprise Server SP1 - not completely patched but that does not seem to fix the issue based on others posts.

Many people are reporting the same issue but I can't find a solution. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kreth
02-27-2009, 08:41 AM
It sounds like your server service is dying. I'd check that and see if there's something in the logs explaining why it keeps shutting down.

02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I agree, Event Logs are your best clue. Server service is a good place to check. If the firewall service is active that too could be the culprit.

Any additional info you find would be helpful in diagnosis.

P.S. Get your server patched. SP2 has been out for over two years, and there are some extremely important post SP2 Security and Crtitical patches.

Volt
02-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Firewall disabled to help trouble shoot, logs look clean, no flags. I'll go check the server service. Thanks

Kreth
02-27-2009, 09:00 AM
P.S. Get your server patched. SP2 has been out for over two years, and there are some extremely important post SP2 Security and Crtitical patches.
Yep, that's my least favorite part of a new server build, cause you can't install them in one pass. M$ needs to do an SP3 rollup like they finally did for XP.

Volt
02-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Yep, that's my least favorite part of a new server build, cause you can't install them in one pass. M$ needs to do an SP3 rollup like they finally did for XP.

RC2 just got released for server 2003.... But as noted in my research, even servers 100% patched up are have the same issue. The client has bulk downloading disabled on their network. What ever happened happened over night. I'm trying to see if they changed anything I am unaware of.

Just did a DNS check, no dupe IPs or Name on the network...

Hardcz
02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
It was brought to my attention each share has a finite number of connections to it, and maybe it's reaching that number and shutting down..... could try looking into that.

Kreth
02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Could be a CAL issue too. The fact that there's no domain rules out policy.

Volt
02-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Ya, being a simple file server kills a lot of potential issues. Cals should be good, and should effect the share - just the people trying to connect. But I will check it.

RGD.
02-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Had this happen on a small network. As a work around I simply made it a new share with name change - no problem since. Again - small use network so it wasn't problem like it would be on a heavy use net. But it's an idea.

Ron

Volt
02-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Had this happen on a small network. As a work around I simply made it a new share with name change - no problem since. Again - small use network so it wasn't problem like it would be on a heavy use net. But it's an idea.

Ron

Good idea I may try. have to re-map 50 workstations, but if it works that's all i care. last call from the client had them troubleshooting another building with issues. I need to see if they are related or coincidence.