PDA

View Full Version : Greatest sporting event you ever attended?

Mr.Maduro
10-16-2008, 07:57 AM
I got this from another board and wanted to see if you witnessed any great sports performances.

For me it was....

1.) Dwight Gooden's no-hitter Yankees vs. Seattle 5/14/1996

2.) The Redskins vs. Cowboys Monday Night Football in Dallas on my birthday 9/19/2005 when the Skins came back from being down 13-0 in the last 4 minutes with 2 bombs to Santana Moss to win 14-13!

3.) I was at the 1/15/1990 Bulls vs. Knicks game in Madison Square Garden which because of that game the NBA implemented "The Trent Tucker Rule"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Tucker_Rule

This was painful to watch considering the game was lost by the Bulls on a BS call that made the NBA implement a new rule! I was so upset being a huge Bulls / Jordan fan at the time.

tedrodgerscpa
10-16-2008, 08:01 AM
As a dedicated Houston Oilers / Tennessee Oilers / Tennessee Titans fan, the greatest sporting event I ever attended was SuperBowl XXXIV, Rams vs. Titans, on January 30, 2000 (Also the date of my wife's 28th birthday... now that takes cojones!)

It was the best, and worst, day of my sporting life. Greatest because I was there.... Worst because Kevin Dyson came up one yard short on the final play as the clock hit 00:00.

Mugen910
10-16-2008, 09:14 AM
I haven't been to many at all..But as of right now I was fortunate enough to see the last game at Yankee stadium vs the Red Sox. There were so many of us Sox fans there and it was such an experience to see a stadium that size!

bluehavana2
10-16-2008, 09:15 AM
For me, it has to be the U of Miami/Boston College football game on 11/23/84. Better known as the "Hail Flutie" game, this has been considered one of the greatest games of all time. Over 900 total yards passing almost make us forget how cold and damp we were (it was a cold, drizzly Miami day)

Jim

gettysburgfreak
10-16-2008, 09:26 AM
The greatest sporting event I ever went to was July 24, 2004 when Varitek and Purple Lips got into into it at Fenway. I was five rows from the field. The Sox came back and won it in the bottom of the 9th on a walk off home run. It was pretty much the greatest high school graduation gift ever.

Smokin Gator
10-16-2008, 09:28 AM
The infamous Gators vs Canes "lay down" play game in 1972 in the Orange Bowl.

A close second was the Italy/Germany game in the last World Cup.

Gophernut
10-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Game 7 of the 1987 World Series when the Twins beat the Cardinals!

Close Runner up: The semi-final game of the 2002 Frozen Four when the Gophers beat Michigan to get to the finals where they beat Maine in OT!

:eevis
10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
18 inning Yankees v. Tigers back in the 80's. Claudell washington won it with a walk off 2-run HR with two outs in the bottom of the 18th. The stadium was so empty, that we we able to bet down in the third base boxseats. That was awesome for a 10 year old. Also saw Jim Abbot pitch, and Bo jackson climb the wall at Yankee Stadium to rob Jack Clark of a HR

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-24-2008, 10:28 PM
September 16, 2007. U.S. Cellular Field Jim Thome 500th homerun!!!!!
It was the bottom of the ninth, 2 outs, and we were just about to leave. We decided to stay to see if just maybe Jim could pull through. And he did! That was only the 5th game all year i went to. I had a choice of 5 games the whole year and i picked the 16th of september!

Don Fernando
10-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Champions League final in Vienna, may 24 1995, (my favorite team) Ajax Amsterdam vs AC Milan. Ajax won, I cried of exitement. Still get goosebumbs whenever I see Patrick Kluivert's goal on tv.

ripper
10-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Been to World Series, Super Bowl, Final Four, Indy 500, Rose Bowl, many NCAA basketball tournament games, thousands of MLB games in my previous life as a newspaper reporter.
The most spectacular events for spectacle and tension were fights at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas - Hagler-Hearns the best for power, Leonard-Hagler for showmanship. And Ali-Frazier II at Madison Square Garden for courage and drama - great warriors.

TripleF
10-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Game 1 of the 2003/2004 Stanley Cup Finals. Awesome to be there even though the Lightning lost that match, but eventually won the CUP!!!

Tenor CS
10-26-2008, 02:00 PM
My Greatest Sporting Events:

Wrestling:

Wrestlemania I (MSG)
Wrestlemania II (Long Island)
Wrestlemania III (Pontiac Silverdome)
Wrestlemania IV (Trump Plaza, Atlantic City)
Great American Bash - July 1988, Orange Bowl, Miami

Baseball:

1986 World Series Game 7 (Mets vs. Red Sox, Shea Stadium)
1997 World Series Game 7 (Marlins vs. Indians, Pro Player Stadium)

Football:

Superbowl 29 - 49ers beat Chargers
Superbowl 33 - Broncos beat Falcons
Superbowl 41 - Colts beat Bears

acruce
10-26-2008, 02:18 PM
When Emmit Smith broke the rushing record. Wasn't a great game but it was a great moment.

Squid
10-26-2008, 02:59 PM
These are probably those that have meant as much to me as any:

Boston Red Sox at Washington Senators - 1966 = My first ever professional baseball game (age 10) where I got to watch some of the greatest in the game - Carl Yastremski, Tony Conigliaro, Rico Petrocelli, Frank Howard, Ken "Hawk" Harrellson. Sox beat the Senators 5 - 2 and I've been a Red Sox fan ever since. You never forget your first.

Payne Stewart's U.S. Open win in Pinehurst = Hadn't thought much about going to the Open in Pinehurst (about 40 minutes from my home here in the Sandhills of NC). But, a friend's wife had corporate sponsor tickets that got us into the clubhouse where I got to see how the upper crust lives! I didn't intend to get caught up in the Payne Stewart Story...but, as the day went on...you just did! Just a short while later, it hit me on just how great a story Payne Stewart was.

1982 Dallas Cowboys versus Washington Redskins Playoffs= I shared this on another thread, but, taking my dad to see his first ever professional football game of his beloved Washington Redskins is/was a day that he has never stopped talking about. To take him to a PLAYOFF game was even MORE incredible for him. The Skins beat Dallas in the shortened strike season and went on to win the Super Bowl. Seeing the excitement and joy in my dad's face will stay with me forever!

icantbejon
10-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Greatest Comeback Ever. '93 Wildcard game with Bills vs Oilers. Bills came back 32 points to win in OT.

Playoff route of the Raiders. '94 AFC Championship game. Bills beat up the Raiders 51-3.

nozero
10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Watching the "Friday Night Fights" Sonny Liston versus (then) Cassius Clay on a black and white TV with my Dad in our basement, while he smoked a cigar. I think that was in 1964, I was 8 or 9 at the time.

Made in Dade
10-26-2008, 03:33 PM
The infamous Gators vs Canes "lay down" play game in 1972 in the Orange Bowl.

A close second was the Italy/Germany game in the last World Cup.

Otherwise known to Cane fans as the Gator flop. :D

md4958
10-26-2008, 04:52 PM
I haven't been to many at all..But as of right now I was fortunate enough to see the last game at Yankee stadium vs the Red Sox. There were so many of us Sox fans there and it was such an experience to see a stadium that size!

I was at one of the last games too... and the Sox won.

But the USA 2004 World Cup games I went to were all unforgettable... Italy won every game I went to.

Scottw
10-26-2008, 04:58 PM

And you didn't call??? My office is 30 minutes from the stadium!! Bastage! It's OK, still love you.

Parrotheadduff
10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
1999 Ryder Cup at The Country Club in Brookline,MA.

Squid
10-26-2008, 06:44 PM
1999 Ryder Cup at The Country Club in Brookline,MA.

A ticket to the last day at a close Ryder Cup is one that I hope to get, one day!

MikeyC
10-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Superbowl 36 when the Patriots won their very first championship ever. The team had been around 40+ years at that point and had been the doormat of the league for most of those years. Plus, no one gave the Patriots a chance against "the greatest show on turf" (the Rams). Going to New Orleans for a long weekend is not too shabby either.

Superbowl 39 was a close second only because the Eagles fans were the MOST obnoxious I've ever encountered. They were SO loud, SO confident, and SO in your face entering the stadium and then they were SO quiet leaving. :ss

auburnfan1980
11-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Well, this is certainly an interesting thread and I had to share my own as well. When you've been to an Auburn-Alabama football game, (which IS the greatest rivalry in ALL of college sports, ladies and gentlemen!) very little else compares, however......

In 2005, I was trying to get over the break-up of my would-be fiance and took the money I had saved for an engagement ring and went with a couple of buddies on a road trip...to Europe. While in Paris, I had the pleasure of sitting in Court Phillipe Chatrier (Center Court) at Roland Garros for the French Open. This was one of the Majors, guys, and as one of the VERY FEW Americans in attendance, we were so proud to cheer for Roddick and Agassi. As sad as it may be, the match that Agassi lost that day would turn out to be his final match he ever played at Roland Garros, but it would such an emotional moment to cheer my tennis hero off one of the grandest stages in the sport as his fellow countryman. Thanks for bringing back some memories with this thread, guys!

Jason

RBOrrell
11-10-2008, 08:08 AM
It was not a special game but I saw the Edmonton Oilers at Joe Louis in 1980. Gretsky scored a hat-trick. It was the first time that I really appreciated his speed and abilities. One second he's in his own end, next thing you know he's scored at the other. The Wings did not have a good game that night.

Again not a special game other than it was the last season at Maple Leaf Gardens. Took my son to a Leafs game - saw them play New York Islanders. Our last game in the old barn.

Walking in the group with Mike Weir and Vijay Singh at Glen Abby the year that they went into sudden-death extra holes. Singh eventually won.

Swampper
11-10-2008, 08:15 AM
UNLV vs. OU, Jan. 17 1988.
Both teams were at the top of the polls. Two of the greatest run-and-gun teams of all time. Game was on a Saturday afternoon. Prime time TV.
Lloyd Noble Center was packed, SRO+
89-88 OU

gvarsity
11-10-2008, 10:40 AM
1989 NCAA Hockey finals Harvard v. Minnesota. Got to see my team in a national championship game even though they lost 4-3 in overtime. Was very happy 13 & 14 years later when they finally won.

2003 Badgers v. Buckeyes at Camp Randall. Buckeyes were #3 ranked defending national champions. Stormed the field after the victory. Even though they are not my college team I was caught up in the excitement. Was a great experience.

BengalMan
11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
World Series with my Dad when the Red's beat the A's here in Cincinnati, OH.

Flatsix
11-19-2008, 06:14 PM
1977 Formula 1 race at Long Beach Grand Prix.

Mario Andretti
Emerson Fittipaldi
James Hunt
Nikki Lauda
Jody Sheckter
Ronnie Peterson

BroncoHorvath
11-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Game 3-4 of the 2006 Stanley Cup finals when my Senators got their butts handed to them by Anaheim.

Also, a monday night football game in San Diego hosting the Raiders... The Charger won it...

And hopefully this year at the World Juniors when Team Canada win the gold.....

Starscream
11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
World Series with my Dad when the Red's beat the A's here in Cincinnati, OH.

That was 18yrs ago. It's been that long since we won (or even been in) a WS:hn

ucla695
11-20-2008, 05:11 PM
1996 USC vs. UCLA football game at the Rose Bowl. UCLA came back from a 17 point deficit in the 4th quarter to win in overtime. I experienced just about every emotion wathing that game. Total frustration when 'SC started to romp us, total disbelief when we tied the game and elation when UCLA won. I'm glad I got to experince it first hand. :tu

A close second would be when UCLA beat USC 13-9 to knock them out of the BCS title game. :D

JE3146
11-20-2008, 05:20 PM
2006 #3 USC vs Oregon State

Was the most dramatic, emotional rollercoaster, thing I've ever seen in my life. The crowd was so loud, the stadium could be heard clear across town. USC came back for one last drive. They scored and needed a 2 pt conversion to tie the game. Our defense batted down the pass. They tried the onside kick and we took the win. The stadium literally shook as the fans fled to the field.

Was the greatest day of football I've ever witnessed and what made it even more special is it was Dad's weekend at OSU, so I got to share it with him.

I really wish I had been there to see the Beavers do it again to the then ranked #1 USC team this year, but I didn't have a ticket.

MajorCaptSilly
11-20-2008, 05:20 PM
St Bavo 6th grade boys basketball vs St Pius. Championship game. St Pius beat us by large margin earlier in the season. The St Pius team was a bunch of ringers as they didn't have an actual school at that time. St Bavo was short and slow but the boys played their hearts out and beat the Goliath of St Pius by 14 points. I didn't even have a kid playing. My daughter was a cheerleader. I have never seen a game like it and probably never will again.

MCS

massphatness
11-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, MA

Matt Cassell rallies the Pats from 18 points down against the Jets to tie the game on a TD pass to Randy Moss with one second remaining. Brett Farve then leads the Jets to an overtime winning field goal that includes a 16 yard completion on third and 15 from his own fifteen.

Possibly the best football game I've ever seen.

chippewastud79
11-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I really wish I had been there to see the Beavers do it again to the then ranked #1 USC team this year, but I didn't have a ticket.

But you had a list of excuses :rolleyes:

South Shield
11-20-2008, 07:50 PM
The Super Bowl after 9-11 in New Orleans. Pats Rams

VirtualSmitty
11-22-2008, 07:19 PM
My last game at old Yankee Satdium. Jeter tied the all time hits list that day. It was awesome, the crowd exploded!

hotreds
11-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Field security for every game of the 1990 Reds' season including the Playoffs and World Serious. I'll never forget the stunned look on the A's bat boys(who were as big as Jose Canseco) after we beat the Bash Brothers. Sweet!

Mr.Maduro
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
It may not have been the best sporting event, but it was definately the best seats I've ever had to a sporting event! For Christmas, my wife got us 2 tickets to the Devils vs Canadians game on Friday 1/2. The seats were amazing and were in the "club" section that gets you into the exclusive "Fire" and "Ice" lounges with free food throughout the game! The seats were 7 rows from the ice behind the Devils' bench and the Devils won 4-1. (3 of my fantasy hockey players scored too!)

The new arenas/stadiums are just amazing! They have just about everything you can think of to enjoy the game comfortably!!

Thanks to my wonderful wife for the amazing Christmas present!

Yazzie
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
1994 Olympics in Atlanta. Partied like a Rock Star for 2 weeks. The whole city shut down and I was able to go to several events including both of Michael Johnson's Gold Medal performances (200 and 400)

Anthem
01-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Last spring. Boston Bruins vs. Montreal at the Bell Centre in Montreal (Game 7 first round of the playoffs). It didn't matter that I was up in the "noseblead section". The pre-game atmosphere was simply amazing, a trip to a cigar shop on St. Catharines Street and a great win by the Habs :ss

sofaman
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
For me it has to be the Spring Bush Race at Bristol 2 years ago when in the middle of the race a full fledged blizzard broke out and snowballs were flying everywhare :D

MadAl
01-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Patriots game when Bledsoe got knocked out and Tom Brady took the reins.

Clampdown
01-05-2009, 08:32 AM
2007 Music City Bowl, University of Kentucky beats Clemson Tigers 28-20.
It was the first UK game I had been to since graduating in 2000. It was an amazing time. We were the second people in the parking lot and the second to last to leave.

or

Washington Redskins vs Minnesota Vikings, NFC Championship Game. Skins win 17-10. I went with my stepdad, and we sat in the endzone and it was during the year they went on to beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

or

Washington Redskins vs. Oakland Raiders, 1983. My parents just got divorced and my dad moved to DC. He got tickets and we walked to the game from his apartment. The Skins were down by over two tds, I went ballistic and starting screaming at the team to get back into it. My dad still tells me that the entire section was egging me on and laughing. The Skins came back to win by 2 points and the whole way home I felt that it was me who brought the team back. :D

ahc4353
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
To date, my son's first Penn State hockey game hands down!

longknocker
01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
My first Masters tournament! Unbelievable!