PDA

View Full Version : How's the Old Boy in your pocket?

Hydrated
10-16-2008, 07:38 AM
OK... I'm finally tired of burning my fingers with cheap disposable butane lighters... so I'm gonna get a decent permanent lighter.

I have it pretty much narrowed... down to either a Zippo pipe lighter or an Old Boy.

They both have pros and cons, but my biggest question is this: Does the Old Boy feel funky riding around in your pocket? It seems to have quite a few things poking out of the top of it, and I wondered how well it rides in your pocket. The charm of the eternal Zippo is its familiar smooth exterior.

So... Is that an Old Boy in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Hardcz
10-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm picking up the xikar version, don't have it yet though.

EvanS
10-16-2008, 11:23 AM
The Old Boy is fine in your pants pocket. Maybe a little heavy for a shirt pocket. I have had mine for a year now and if anything ever happens to it I will get a new one immediately.

NCRadioMan
10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm picking up the xikar version, don't have it yet though.
:tu These are great lighters with an even better warranty.

Mister Moo
10-16-2008, 03:19 PM
I am watching this closely.

croatan
10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Had mine for 12 years. Carried it in my pocket for most of those years--never had a problem. Great lighter. Can't recommend it enough, honestly.

Hydrated
10-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I am watching this closely.

Agreed... anytime I see EvanS talking about the "Old Boy" in his pocket, I get very nervous.

Hydrated
10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Had mine for 12 years. Carried it in my pocket for most of those years--never had a problem. Great lighter. Can't recommend it enough, honestly.

Do you use premium fuel in yours, or is it pretty much bulletproof?

croatan
10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Do you use premium fuel in yours, or is it pretty much bulletproof?
Lava, Vector, or King is what I've mostly used. I used Colibri a long time ago.

I had to send it in for service once, maybe three years ago, cost me $12.

madurofan
10-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Love the Old Boy. Mine's around ten years old. Only had to fix it once. I leave it on the pipe stand so I can't tell about pocket feel, they are fairly hefty.

~Bill

Hydrated
10-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Well... I'm all atwitter... sitting here with my Old Boy in my hand. It's not that big, but it is weighty in the palm. And it works perfectly... a flip of the thumb and a quick stroke heats it up.

I was worried that the little tubes and stuff on the top would make it catch or open in my pocket, but they don't. And I like the looks of it in general... all the fittings sprouting out of the top make it look so... steampunk.

I like it. Thanks for the advice, guys!

SUOrangeGuy
10-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I carry mine in my pocket everyday and its never caught on anything. I forget its there until I need it. The one time I misplaced it I ordered a second immediately.

About once a month I clean up the nooks and crannies with a q-tip.

groogs
10-26-2008, 11:19 PM
I don't have an Old Boy yet, althogh I would love to. I do carry my Zippo in my pocket every day, and never even notice it is there. I never smoke away from home, but I always like to have my lighter with me. My wife asks why, and I tell her if I ever get stranded on a desert island I will be able to start a fire and survive. I should have been a Boy Scout.;)