PDA

View Full Version : Fuk....is anyone Anemic?

mrreindeer
02-25-2009, 10:22 AM
So I just celebrated my 36th birthday with an obligatory doctor's visit (to prepare for too much fun) on Monday.....I've been a little out of breath lately and I blamed pregnant mrsreindeer's hormones rubbing off on me. No joke, that sh!t can happen.

So evidently, I've essentially lost 1/2 of my blood & Doc wants me to get 2 - 3 units of blood ASAP.

I've never had to do anything like this and never had any problem like this.

Anyone? Jeeezus.

So Doc wants to find out where this is coming from & wants to do a colonoscopy in a couple weeks.

Just what I needed right now.

jledou
02-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Wow! getter taken care of...hopefully it is something simple or related to your diet.

On another note, glad to hear that mrsreindeer is pregnant and other than moody, hopefully doing well.

14holestogie
02-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, hopefully whatever it may be is caught well ahead of anything more serious. Had my first colonoscopy last year. They put you under, it's a piece of cake (an expensive piece). Best of luck with the test and diagnosis.

ahc4353
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
How the hell do you "lose" half your blood without knowing it?

Damn Dave take care!

Genetic Defect
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
My mother was in the hospital a few weeks ago and again last week because of this, get blood and be well David :)

rizzle
02-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Doc says I'm borderline, David. My count, though, hasn't been declining and we've been doing blood tests every 6 months for ~3 to 4 years now. Just appears that I'm in that 1-2% of the bell curve that a "low" count is actually "normal" to.

The colonoscopy would be SOP to try and determine where you might be losing the blood from. Quick and nasty question, after taking a dump are you seeing blood?

Scary chit bro. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

ahc4353
02-25-2009, 10:40 AM
My mother was in the hospital a few weeks ago and again last week because of this, get blood and be well David :)

Prayers sent for your mom Perry.

Dave prayers and KARMA sent your way as well.

Savor the Stick
02-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Hope it's nothing serious David. Will be praying for you! Let your family (Us) know when you find out something.
Take care Buddy:tu

ucla695
02-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Dayum David. I hope they quickly figure out what’s going on with you. Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

Scottw
02-25-2009, 11:01 AM

Damn Dave take care!

That's that I want to know too. WTF David? You OK? I heard colonscopy's are a breeze just make sure the Dr. doesn't have his hands on your shoulders while he is doing it.

PS. If you need a few pints, I'll give you all I can. You may wake up with the munchies but you will be OK.

mrreindeer
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks so much you guys.....I'm just freakin' out a little right now...like you Perry, my mom's been going through this lately...damn genetics? Can't be.

Damn Dave take care!

Seriously Al, that's what I want to freakin' know.

Doc says I'm borderline, David. My count, though, hasn't been declining and we've been doing blood tests every 6 months for ~3 to 4 years now. Just appears that I'm in that 1-2% of the bell curve that a "low" count is actually "normal" to.

The colonoscopy would be SOP to try and determine where you might be losing the blood from. Quick and nasty question, after taking a dump are you seeing blood?

Scary chit bro. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Thank you for this Ritchie...what's SOP? And yeah... :bh

That's that I want to know too. WTF David? You OK? I heard colonscopy's are a breeze just make sure the Dr. doesn't have his hands on your shoulders while he is doing it.

PS. If you need a few pints, I'll give you all I can. You may wake up with the munchies but you will be OK.

:r you guys crack me up (still) - thank you & thank you Scott for the very generous offer & advice....no shoulders, check.

mrreindeer
02-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Here's a question, Ritchie....if I've lost HALF of my blood (Doc's exact words), how can I drive to work, sit at the computer, type, function, be an a$$hat, etc. and not fall over? Should I be concerned about getting home? (i'm currently waiting for the freakin' nurse to call me)

Scottw
Thanks so much you guys.....I'm just freakin' out a little right now...like you Perry, my mom's been going through this lately...damn genetics? Can't be.

Seriously Al, that's what I want to freakin' know.

Thank you for this Ritchie...what's SOP? And yeah... :bh

:r you guys crack me up (still) - thank you & thank you Scott for the very generous offer & advice....no shoulders, check.

Let me know, I can fly out there, give some blood, smoke a stog with you and fly back.

ahc4353
Standard Operating Procedure

ahc4353
02-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Here's a question, Ritchie....if I've lost HALF of my blood (Doc's exact words), how can I drive to work, sit at the computer, type, function, be an a$$hat, etc. and not fall over? Should I be concerned about getting home? (i'm currently waiting for the freakin' nurse to call me)

I would think the Doc should tell you.

Darrell
02-25-2009, 11:09 AM
You will be fine David. You owe me an "epic" herf as you put it. I'm holding you to that, 1/2 blood or not. :r

kaisersozei
02-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Hang in there David, and best wishes for some positive results.

Colonoscopies aren't that bad. It's the colonoscopy prep kit you have to take the night before that sucks. ;) But hey, you'll be 5-8 pounds lighter in the morning, so it's all good!

rizzle
02-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Correct.

I would think the Doc should tell you.
Correct. I'm no doctor, I only stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

But it is my understanding that you haven't really "lost half of your blood". Your red blood count is low. Follow me?

mrreindeer
02-25-2009, 11:26 AM

Thank you Al.

You will be fine David. You owe me an "epic" herf as you put it. I'm holding you to that, 1/2 blood or not. :r

Seriously, you just wait.

Hang in there David, and best wishes for some positive results.

Colonoscopies aren't that bad. It's the colonoscopy prep kit you have to take the night before that sucks. ;) But hey, you'll be 5-8 pounds lighter in the morning, so it's all good!

Thanks Gerard; hell, I needed to go on a diet.

Correct.

Correct. I'm no doctor, I only stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

But it is my understanding that you haven't really "lost half of your blood". Your red blood count is low. Follow me?

Ah, gotcha, thank you.

Genetic Defect
02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I hope it isn't genetic,I should have mine checked. It takes about 3hours per unit for the blood, maybe you need some hat?

kayaker
02-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Cyanide is a doctor and happy to answer questions.

Hope you get it figured out soon and are felling better. Positive thoughts going your way.

Congrats to you and the Missus.

Cyanide
02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
If he is ordering pints of blood for you then you probably are down "half your blood". I am thinking you are probably somewhere between 70-100, where normal would be 140 (Canadian units). You could still function "normally" if it was a gradual decline.

Now, I don't want to discuss in the open forum why its important to get the colonoscopy. But, if you want to PM me I can give you some information. Hopefully you are getting some bloodwork done too, to help figure out the cause.

Hopefully the bloodwork will include a ferritin, serum iron, TIBC, serum folate, serum vitB12. A "blood smear" would also be useful at this time, and there should be a consideration for a direct/indirect coombs assay as well as haptoglobin and liver function tests (ALT, bilirubin, PT, PTT).

If those aren't all included on the lab req, feel free to PM me.

Hey, in general, feel free to PM me. There is a very "serious sh!t" angle to this.

Hope this either helps, or induces you to PM me so I can help were I can.

Cheers

Cyanide

mrreindeer
02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks Ian, very much.

I hope it isn't genetic,I should have mine checked. It takes about 3hours per unit for the blood, maybe you need some hat?

Oh God....

You know, Perry, mrsreindeer cooked up some awesome hat just last night for me for my birthday, I'm good....really. Really really good there. But I really appreciate your suggestion.

:D Appreciate you guys cheering me up; it's working. I already feel like I have a higher blood count due to good vibes.

rizzle
02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
What he said.

mrreindeer
02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks so much John....I'll likely be shooting you a PM soon.

ahc4353
02-25-2009, 11:58 AM
If he is ordering pints of blood for you then you probably are down "half your blood". I am thinking you are probably somewhere between 70-100, where normal would be 140 (Canadian units). You could still function "normally" if it was a gradual decline.

Now, I don't want to discuss in the open forum why its important to get the colonoscopy. But, if you want to PM me I can give you some information. Hopefully you are getting some bloodwork done too, to help figure out the cause.

Hopefully the bloodwork will include a ferritin, serum iron, TIBC, serum folate, serum vitB12. A "blood smear" would also be useful at this time, and there should be a consideration for a direct/indirect coombs assay as well as haptoglobin and liver function tests (ALT, bilirubin, PT, PTT).

If those aren't all included on the lab req, feel free to PM me.

Hey, in general, feel free to PM me. There is a very "serious sh!t" angle to this.

Hope this either helps, or induces you to PM me so I can help were I can.

Cheers

Cyanide

Nice to have Doc Cy around! :tu

Genetic Defect
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks Ian, very much.

Oh God....

You know, Perry, mrsreindeer cooked up some awesome hat just last night for me for my birthday, I'm good....really. Really really good there. But I really appreciate your suggestion.

:D Appreciate you guys cheering me up; it's working. I already feel like I have a higher blood count due to good vibes.

:dr hat

skibumdc
02-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Did you look under the couch....I lose stuff under there all the time.
Maybe that's where your blood went.

hotreds
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Best wishes to you especially, and the missus. Pray that everything turns out positive, and that God grants you peace!

MithShrike
02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry to hear that man, hope things work out for you. My little sister is anemic and it stemmed from her being a vegetarian for a year. Luckily she passed that phase but she is still iron deficient and has to take supplements.

G G
02-25-2009, 01:47 PM
David, prayers for you brother.

Cigary
02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear what is going on with you Dave,,,,but been there done that. I think I have had just about every test known to mankind up to and including the ole gastro intenstinal blowout. Have them give you ativan before the procedure and you will be fine,,just enough to relax you when they bring in that big f'n firehose and tell you "this is going to be a bit uncomfortable",,,I kid, my friend. The worse part is the day or morning before,,they want you clean inside and want you to do the ole enema beforehand so they have a chance to see what's up your "address",,,,you'll be so relaxed on the gurney you won't care if they shove an elephants trunk up your wazoo. You probably wont even hear the "gush" of air during the procedure as you let go of tons of pressure,,,good thing they will be wearing their little masks so that you won't see them giggling. I tried to make all of the people who did this to me sign off that if they ever saw me in the stores that there would be no speaking,,no winking,,,no hand gestures that they know me,,we will continue to be strangers for life.

As far as the blood stuff going on they should be able to take care of that in short order like Cyanide says and get you some information once they have seen the results. We live in a very hurry up world and we tend to get worn out and don't know it until we are about to drop,,,and even then we dont have the time to do that. Keep us posted on what is going on,,,we're in this with you my friend.

DrDubzz
02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
prayers for you man

could be a vitamin deficiency (B12) or folate deficiency, wouldn't be too hard to correct. Maybe you need to eat more steaks :D

Hope all is well, keep us updated :tu

BigFrank
02-25-2009, 04:59 PM
My old lady had some issues few years ago, similar to your dilemma . She was hospitalized a few times before she was diagnosed properly. Now a cheap supplement and some basic diet monitoring keeps her healthy.

CBI_2
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Prayers for you and the Doc. Prayers also for Perry's mom.

RevSmoke
02-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Wow, that is unusual.

Will keep you in my prayers, and ask the Holy Spirit's guidance for the Drs to discover the problem and lead to resolution.

Snake Hips
02-25-2009, 06:22 PM
My mom is anemic, and a couple weeks ago she went to the doctor for the same reason, and they found she had only half her blood left as well. She went and got a transfusion, and she's okay. The difference is they know where *her* blood went, so she's getting a hysterectomy to get that taken care of.

Hope everything works out. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but it could be. As Cyanide said, there's possibly a "serious shite" aspect to it. But if you didn't even realize it, I'm sure it's nothing they can't take care of pretty easily.

piperman
02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Well I hope everything is okay, is your crap black? at least you have been to the doctor allot better then most guys. I'm sure everything will be okay.

Scottw
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Best wishes to you especially, and the missus. Pray that everything turns out positive, and that God grants you peace!

Or negative depending on whats best!

teotides
02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I'll be thinking good thoughts and sending positive vibes your way David.

mrreindeer
02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys, I'm still freakin' out (probably more so now) and trying to figure out what to do next...

RBC is 2.95; Hemoglobin 6.8; Hematocrit 21.4....I'm not sure what the hell to do....one other Doc I talked to said I'm 'severely' anemic, shouldn't drive or work but suggested I avoid the transfusion if possible...then wtf?

I have an appt. after work tomorrow with a family practitioner who wanted me to go in for another bloodcount tonight (why, I have no idea)....what's he gonna do, cure me just by looking at me??

Colonoscopy is set for March 9th and while I'd rather push that lovely 'dreamdate' off if I can, it seems pretty damn far off if I'm having some serious shite going on...

WTF.

shilala
02-25-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm glad they caught it quick for ya. Make sure you get your test results and a good explanation. I'm sure all the docs here will want to scrutinize this thing for you.
It's good to have good guys looking out for ya. :tu

Mugen910
02-25-2009, 08:05 PM
You'll be fine Dave...

Perry hope all is well with your mom.

Cyanide
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Dave....

This is a quick addendum to the PM I sent you. I forgot to mention this, then remembered, then you made mention of a repeat early visit, so that reminded me again.

That Hgb number is so low, that without some reasonable symptoms (like a racing heart rate...what is your heart rate?) it may actually be a lab error. So, yes, it would most certainly be worth while rechecking the complete blood count to see if it is an accurate representation of the truth.

So, if your Hgb comes back normal the second time....then that is great!!!

Cheers

Cyanide

King James
02-26-2009, 12:09 AM
hopefully the appointment will clear stuff up for you..good luck!

Scottw
02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
More prayers sent David, I'm here if you need me.

kaisersozei
03-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Looks like there's life in Rancho Palos Verdes :dance:

mrreindeer
03-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Alrighty folks.....well, that was scary....but I'm back in the saddle now, more or less.

First, thank you so much you guys for all your well wishes, concern & help; it means more to me than you'll ever know.

So....I went to the ER on Thursday morning after TWO (read that, TWO) different doctors (at TWO different offices) wouldn't see me and suggested I go to the ER. Nice.

I guess it's a good thing because with a hemoglobin level at 6.8, I was told that I could very well have passed out while driving, may not be getting enough oxygen to the 'ol noggin and/or not have enough blood in me to survive a serious accident.

So after my mother (who is a nurse) tracked me down in the ER and yelled at the poor nurses there to get me on the phone and begged me to only get 1 unit of blood when the doctor was advising I get 3 (which is a sh!tload of blood that I lost - for those who wanna know...1 unit is like 450 ml's...so 3 is 1,350 ml's....which is almost 2 bottles of wine or a 1-liter water bottle + a 1/3 of another), I went ahead and took the good doctor's advice and agreed to the 3 units.

Yeah, I was that low.

So they took real good care of me, admitted me and I stayed 2 nights in the hospital. On Friday, I had a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy to figure out where the bleeding was coming from. I've had a colonoscopy before and it's really no biggie. Even drinking the bowel prep the night before wasn't too bad (like salt water). The upper endoscopy was a bit nasty & violent as I guess I had to be awake while they shoved the scope down my throat (and I ain't talkin' mouthwash). Talk about gagging...

So the results came back and we were really relieved to find out that there was no bleeding coming from deep within my body; it was coming from my a$$ and probably the best case it could have been.

So obviously, my hemoglobin & other levels went up a bit (and stayed up) after the transfusions and the doc was satisfied enough to let me get the hell out of there on Saturday after 2 nights.

And let me tell you, this was my first overnight stay in a hospital and it sure feels better being on the outside. I was going absolutely crazy in there.

So now I just have to be a little more aware, a little more careful and monitor the situation, eat healthy, drink some Metamucil and have stuff high in iron & fiber and hopefully I'll stop bleeding completely.

I'll go in to the doc this week or next Monday for another bloodtest to check my levels and make sure things have improved.

Again, thank you so much for all your help and good wishes; I definitely felt the good vibes you guys.

And some of you, just some of you, have no shame.....what're 'ya thinking bombing a guy when he's down, huh??? (Gerard, Francis....not naming any names or anything.... :D It's much much appreciated guys, thank you so much)

mrreindeer
03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Looks like there's life in Rancho Palos Verdes :dance:

There is, there is!!!! I'm here!!! (you sly rascal you!)

hotreds
03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Delighted to hear that things appear to be correcting themselves for ya, my friend. Prayers for continued and complete recovery and a most enjoyable seegar to celebrate!

kaisersozei
03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Excellent news, David, glad to hear it all.... came out--er... turned out well--in the end. :hf Scary stuff I'm sure, buddy, glad you're back in the saddle.

Darrell
03-02-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm glad you're back and going well, old bean. :tu

mrreindeer
03-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks so much guys & Darrell, mrsreindeer wants to talk to you (again)...

Blueface
03-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Wow.
Glad to hear all is OK or working on getting there.
I am amazed you could have lost so much blood that way.
Years ago, I had a polyp towards the end there that bled profusely. Never had blood work done at that time. I wonder how low I got?
Turning 50 in two months and tell you what, you won't have to drag me to the doctor. I will gladly show up for my test.
Had it done 6 years ago or so. No biggie. Was knocked out.
I just want to make sure if he does both upper and lower, that he does the upper first.:r

14holestogie
03-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Awesome news, David. Good to see you back up to your old cranky self.

:tu

Darrell
03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks so much guys & Darrell, mrsreindeer wants to talk to you (again)...

We didn't talk much while you were laid up. :hf :fu

mrreindeer
03-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Wow.
Glad to hear all is OK or working on getting there.
I am amazed you could have lost so much blood that way.
Years ago, I had a polyp towards the end there that bled profusely. Never had blood work done at that time. I wonder how low I got?
Turning 50 in two months and tell you what, you won't have to drag me to the doctor. I will gladly show up for my test.
Had it done 6 years ago or so. No biggie. Was knocked out.
I just want to make sure if he does both upper and lower, that he does the upper first.:r

Thank you Carlos...yeah, I've learned a lot from this....DEFINITELY don't ignore what your body tells you...and when you do....don't ignore what your body SHOWS you.... Yikes.

Awesome news, David. Good to see you back up to your old cranky self.

:tu

Thank you Tim!

mrreindeer
03-02-2009, 09:52 AM
We didn't talk much while you were laid up. :hf :fu

Oooff......

G G
03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Very good to hear the good news David. Now can we bomb you some more?

mrreindeer
03-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Very good to hear the good news David.

Thank you Greg.

Now can we bomb you some more?

:tg I'll just be over here..... :lv

MithShrike
03-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Glad to hear you're OK. Sounds like a lot of fun in the past few days for you. Yep, fiber and a better diet man, it's really important.

68TriShield
03-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Damn Dave take care!

Not recognizing blood in your stool.

I have Ulcerative Colitis... (been there)

mrreindeer
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys.

Not recognizing blood in your stool.

I have Ulcerative Colitis... (been there)

And yep.

Dave, you ok?

rizzle
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Good to see you still kicking it!

68TriShield
03-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys.

And yep.

Dave, you ok?

oh yea,I was diagnosed in 1991.Sulfur drugs and a bi-annual Colonoscopy keeps me kicking :tu

CBI_2
03-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Great news! Will keep you in my prayers.

mrreindeer
03-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Thank you guys!

oh yea,I was diagnosed in 1991.Sulfur drugs and a bi-annual Colonoscopy keeps me kicking :tu

Good to hear Dave! :tu

mrreindeer
03-04-2009, 12:12 PM
So, I was thinking about this....want to know something....I just realized that now that I have the blood of 3 strangers coursing through my veins (and hopefully not trickling out of my body like my own blood was doing) and even though they do testing & screen the blood and it's so much better than in the '80's, it's not 100% safe.

Of course, that's why I was initially concerned about having to get the transfusions and why my mother was having a conniption fit demanding on the telephone while I was in the ER that I only accept 1 unit even though the Doc was recommending (read: telling me) that I take 3. Yes, I'm a 36 year old man.

So now I have to pretend like I'm in college again and whip out a damn rubber every time I want to have relations with my wife....in the short amount of time I have before our kid is born in September at which point I'll likely never have $ex again.

What's a feller to do!!!

(and yes, I know, I'll have to get a dang HIV test and then I'll be all good to go, I'm just being overly dramatic :D)

But it woulda been nice if the Doc had said, you know, with your pregnant wife, you should use protection until you know for sure...

Anybody else realize this predicament after gettin' somebody's else's blood in 'ya?

mrreindeer
03-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Glad to hear you're OK. Sounds like a lot of fun in the past few days for you. Yep, fiber and a better diet man, it's really important.

Oh, hey Matt...what about spicy food? Is it that bad for you? I eat spicy all the freakin' time!

Wolfgang
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Oh, hey Matt...what about spicy food? Is it that bad for you? I eat spicy all the freakin' time!
You should be ok as long as you arent eating spicy curry and beans followed by sunflower seeds shells and all........ :dance:

Seriously I hope you are douing better. I was Anemic for a long time while i was on Dialysis waiting for my kidney. All the docs made me do was give myself a shot once a month to boost the RBC count. I believe it was called "aranesp" ask your doc about it.

mrreindeer
03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
You should be ok as long as you arent eating spicy curry and beans followed by sunflower seeds shells and all........ :dance:

[puts down spoon (or whatever the hell utensil I'm using for this slop)] Uh....NOPE, not any more!

Seriously I hope you are douing better. I was Anemic for a long time while i was on Dialysis waiting for my kidney. All the docs made me do was give myself a shot once a month to boost the RBC count. I believe it was called "aranesp" ask your doc about it.

Thank you very much; I'm glad you're doing better too and I am doing better....I've kinda figured out a 'routine' that I hope will continue to work for me....pills, fiber, water, diet high in iron & fiber, bathroom and less hanging out with vampires, etc. I'll check out the aranesp; thanks! :tu

Wolfgang
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
no prob :-D Glad I could help.

ucla695
03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Dang David. That’s quite an ordeal. Well, I’m glad to hear your on the mend.

Cyanide
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Ah, where Wolfgang here would have been a good candidate for Aranesp or a similar blood-stimulating medication, Dave, you`ll probably want to avoid it.

It does come with some pretty hefty adverse reactions (if you are one of the unlucky ones to get them). The risk-to-benefit ration probably isn`t sufficient for you to take the chance. For wolfgang....with his issue he would probably benefit more from having the blood-building hormone than without it. Chances are he lacked what was required to rebuild his blood quickly at that time. You will probably have all the metabolic systems needed to do it on your own. Plus, it probably costs 1-10 thousand dollars a month.

Sorry for verbally stomping on your post like that, Wolfgang.

But ya, keep the fibre high and get lots of water with it. Keep the iron tabs away from the fibre if you can, as iron needs acidic environs (like orange juice in the stomach) to initiate absorption. Further, iron will slow down the gut and induce a constipating condition, not good when mixed with fibre. Appart they will get the job done. You might also want to consider lactulose if (gross alert) your stools aren`t slipping out of you like those yoghurt tubes. Any straining on the toilet could restart the bleeding for now.

But, my lunch break is over, so back to work for me....

Cheers

Cy

mrreindeer
03-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Plus, it probably costs 1-10 thousand dollars a month.

http://midpacsolutions.com/emoticons/leaving.gif

But ya, keep the fibre high and get lots of water with it. Keep the iron tabs away from the fibre if you can, as iron needs acidic environs (like orange juice in the stomach) to initiate absorption. Further, iron will slow down the gut and induce a constipating condition, not good when mixed with fibre. Appart they will get the job done. You might also want to consider lactulose if (gross alert) your stools aren`t slipping out of you like those yoghurt tubes. Any straining on the toilet could restart the bleeding for now.

Thank you John, again... :D :tu

kayaker
03-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Glad to hear you are dong better.

Hope you are still allowed to enjoy cigars and scotch.:tu

mrreindeer
03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Hope you are still allowed to enjoy cigars and scotch.:tu

mrsreindeer wants to go for Mex tonight...uh oh....um, I think I might have to partake & why not start it off right with a cigar before she gets off work....if you don't hear from me tomorrow, then, well.... :D

Genetic Defect
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
So, I was thinking about this....want to know something....I just realized that now that I have the blood of 3 strangers coursing through my veins (and hopefully not trickling out of my body like my own blood was doing) and even though they do testing & screen the blood and it's so much better than in the '80's, it's not 100% safe.

Of course, that's why I was initially concerned about having to get the transfusions and why my mother was having a conniption fit demanding on the telephone while I was in the ER that I only accept 1 unit even though the Doc was recommending (read: telling me) that I take 3. Yes, I'm a 36 year old man.

So now I have to pretend like I'm in college again and whip out a damn rubber every time I want to have relations with my wife....in the short amount of time I have before our kid is born in September at which point I'll likely never have $ex again.

What's a feller to do!!!

(and yes, I know, I'll have to get a dang HIV test and then I'll be all good to go, I'm just being overly dramatic :D)

But it woulda been nice if the Doc had said, you know, with your pregnant wife, you should use protection until you know for sure...

Anybody else realize this predicament after gettin' somebody's else's blood in 'ya?
geezer :rolleyes:

mrreindeer
03-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Shoot, does anyone know if you can fly with anemia or if I should be concerned at all? (and about going to Mexico next month....Cabo)

I haven't had a test since I left the hospital on the 28th and I've got a Doc's appt. next week but I have to book this bachelor party trip now. And I'm having a devil of a time finding info on flying with anemia online.

Appreciate any help; thanks!

kaisersozei
03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Just throw a few pints of blood in your carry-on. They usually don't mind.

mrreindeer
03-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Just throw a few pints of blood in your carry-on. They usually don't mind.

:r:r:r

Sailkat
03-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Shoot, does anyone know if you can fly with anemia or if I should be concerned at all? (and about going to Mexico next month....Cabo)

I haven't had a test since I left the hospital on the 28th and I've got a Doc's appt. next week but I have to book this bachelor party trip now. And I'm having a devil of a time finding info on flying with anemia online.

Give your doctor a call. If anything, the concern would not be the flying, but being in Mexico if you are not healthy.

mrreindeer
03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Thank you Kat; will do.

rizzle
03-12-2009, 08:43 AM

You're welcome...

http://www.nextnature.net/research/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/trublood.jpg

Hey, it works for vampires.
:D

mrreindeer
03-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Hahhaaha, I'll pack some, thanks for the heads' up.

I just re-read what I typed....thought I wrote 'enema'....yikes.

kayaker
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Give your doctor a call. If anything, the concern would not be the flying, but being in Mexico if you are not healthy.

:tpd:

Especially if you happen to need more blood.

If your doc says you are good to go, don't forget travel insurance.

Hope you are able to go and that you have a safe and fun trip.:tu

mrreindeer
03-12-2009, 09:26 AM
If your doc says you are good to go, don't forget travel insurance.

http://midpacsolutions.com/emoticons/oops.gif Damn it, I knew I forgot something when I booked it yesterday. :bh

Hope you are able to go and that you have a safe and fun trip.:tu

Thank you Ian; I hope so too!