PDA

View Full Version : Smoking A Much Older Cigar

massphatness
10-16-2008, 06:57 AM
I hosted a herf this past weekend and lit up a Havana No. 7 which had been gifted to me a while back by a BOTL many of you know: DBall. When he first gave me the stick he told me it was circa 1950's. I knew I had to set it aside and choose just the right moment. And since Dan got hitched this past weekend, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to break out that cigar in his honor.

Having never smoked a cigar with that much age, I went through the whole smoking process as I do with any stick. And while the cigar was very smooth & mellow, it got me to thinking if there might be a better (more proper?) way to enjoy a cigar that has 30, 40 50+ years of age on it.

For instance, the cigar had been wrapped in cello -- I simply (thought carefully) removed it, toasted, lit and smoked. Should I have waited a bit after removing the cello? My first few draws -- God, I almost said puffs :) -- had a distinct mustiness to them, like I was smoking dry dirt. I almost freaked because I wanted it to be a great experience. Fortunately the stick settled in after about a an inch and smoked great.

Any of the lunatics in the asylum have any thoughts?

Harpo
10-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Great story! Unfortunately I can't comment as the oldest stick I've smoked has been around 10 years... but what a piece of history to be smoking a 'gar from the 50's. Way to go DBall, a true Lunatic. :)

SmokingJoey
10-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Someone knew what they were doing to have a 60 yr old for this long. I really don't know if I could have held out that long without smoking it. At least it turned out good for you!

Buckeye Jack
10-16-2008, 07:27 AM
I think you did just fine. The handful of sticks I've smoked that have been from the 50's are all as you described. I have had them right out of the cello and I have had some that didn't have cello on them (atleast when they were given to me they didn't). They have all been a different experience, albeit not always a great cigar.

wayner123
10-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I too think you did it correctly. There's not really a method to smoking that old of a cigar. All the ones I have had have been great though.

rck70
10-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Ask Al....he's old

rack04
10-16-2008, 08:35 AM
All the clear havanas that I have smoked have started out "musty" though settled into a real nice smoke.

rsamos
10-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Boy - I don't have any idea what you'd do differently. Oldest stick I've ever smoked was about eight years, and it didn't have the celo in the first place.

I'm amazed that someone can keep a cigar viable for that length of time.

Starscream
10-16-2008, 08:56 AM
I've got a 50yr stick from DBall as well. It has been in the humi for a while now. I'm scared to smoke it. I like to know that I have a cigar that old in my humi, kind of like a trophy. BTW the stick is a 1950s Blackstone.

Mugen910
10-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I've got a 50yr stick from DBall as well. It has been in the humi for a while now. I'm scared to smoke it. I like to know that I have a cigar that old in my humi, kind of like a trophy. BTW the stick is a 1950s Blackstone.

That's awesome...I'd prob keep it as a trophy too.

Buckeye Jack
10-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Thats what the band is for :ss

I have smoked a couple of the Blackstones and they were actually not bad for the age. I say smoke it and keep the band as the keepsake.

bobarian
10-16-2008, 10:50 AM
I think you did fine. I have found when smoking cigars that old or older, sipping is the best method. Smoke twice as slow as normal, barely enough to keep it going. Seems to really bring out the toasty flavors. :2

Footbag
10-16-2008, 11:10 AM
I've got a 1909~ Betsy Ross Cigar from Lengamour. (SP?)

It was rolled in PA and on it's hundredth birthday, I'll smoke my first hundred year old cigar!:ss

ahc4353
10-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Ask Al....he's old

Well since you brought it up.........

First of all the reference to "smoking dry dirt" has me a little concerned about your humidors RH setting. Might want to do a salt test.

As for the cigar I think you did fine with only one MAJOR F up.

Old cigars like old people have class. Smoking it with those asshats insulted it.

Glad I could help.