PDA

View Full Version : Is this a beetle?

Dan
02-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I just took the cigar out of the cello for storage/aging, and upon inspection noticed this:

http://delirium.dreamhosters.com/ack.jpg

that shadow is a big round hole. Looks like beetles to me. What do you guys say? Checking the rest of the shipment I just opened for more.

dunng
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Sure looks it to me... :c

14holestogie
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Certainly appears to be one.

md4958
02-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Certainly appears to be one.

i hate to tell you I agree, but I would be freezing all sticks that came in contact with that one right now

chenvt
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
What cigar is it? Just in case I have any.. lol

JohnnyKay5
02-24-2009, 07:53 PM
ewwwwie

Dan
02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Dammit, well the whole shipments getting frozen before I put it in the humis.

mi2az
02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Ahhh

Smoke it and kill it

WildBlueSooner
02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Beetles= Satan!

14holestogie
02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Dammit, well the whole shipments getting frozen before I put it in the humis.

Make that SOP on all before they hit the humis and the problem should be greatly diminished. :tu

newcigarz
02-24-2009, 08:02 PM

:tpd:

lightning9191
02-24-2009, 08:03 PM
I vote yes.

Darrell
02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
It looks like a hole in the wrapper. When I've seen beetles eat through a stick they eat through the wrapper, binder, filler, etc. :2

ucla695
02-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Do the tap test over a white piece of paper and see if any beetle dung falls out.

SilverFox
02-24-2009, 08:26 PM
You don't need to do a tap test in my opionion it is beetle for sure, I would be willing to bet that little white sluggy looking thing is the critter (in larval stage) himself.

FREEZE Look here for some mediocre directions http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919 on freezing

neoflex
02-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Have any shots pulled back some? I am guessing it may be beetles too. If it's a shipment that just came in I would send the entire package back. Yes, you can freeze them but in a household freezer you are not guaranteed to eliminate the problem. Why introduce the problem to your humi if you do not need to, I would send it back and let the vendor know it's because of beetles and be sure to tell them that the hole is not plume.:D

SmokeyJoe
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
It looks like a hole in the wrapper. When I've seen beetles eat through a stick they eat through the wrapper, binder, filler, etc. :2
It could be a beetle hole... but I have never seen one so chewed up before. All of the beetle holes I have seen have been very clean, round holes. :confused:

Darrell
02-24-2009, 08:51 PM
All of the beetle holes I have seen have been very clean, round holes. :confused:

Me too.

Dan
02-24-2009, 08:51 PM
It could be a beetle hole... but I have never seen one so chewed up before. All of the beetle holes I have seen have been very clean, round holes. :confused:

Further down, where the shadow is, there are actually two clean round holes that go in further.

karmaz00
02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
sorry it looks like one

Darrell
02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Further down, where the shadow is, there are actually two clean round holes that go in further.

Pic?

Sauer Grapes
02-24-2009, 09:04 PM
You don't need to do a tap test in my opionion it is beetle for sure, I would be willing to bet that little white sluggy looking thing is the critter (in larval stage) himself.
:tpd: 100% correct.

I'd send them back.

What kind of cigar was it? What vendor?

Cigary
02-24-2009, 09:35 PM

I agree with Joe on this one,,,could be that your Beetles are a bit messy or are in bad need of some dental work.:r

s15driftking
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
What kind of cigar was it? What vendor?

i second this!

Silound
02-24-2009, 10:47 PM
I've seen a lot of beetles at work before, and you sir have a beetle larva munching away on your cigar. That's what the little off-white colored thing is at the end of the hole in the picture.

The channel where he chewed clearly shows small round particulate matter, which is consistent with larva excretions.

Freeze the lot, or better yet get them replaced.

Teeznutz
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Sorry to see this.....Good Luck!

Genetic Defect
02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
no.

Tio Gato
02-25-2009, 04:14 AM
Yup. You got the cooties.:(

Mikepd
02-25-2009, 07:07 AM
That is what is referred to as a track. It is caused by beetles moving from side to side after partially burrowing out of the cigar. Also it appears in your picture to show two semi-matured larva. One is to the far right of that track, that whiteish looking line, the other being right in the middle of the track whaere it bends, it appears to be deeper inside the cigar and is also a pale white color. If the beetles have hatched and matured enough to this stage in these cigars, it more than likely means the cigars were exposed to poor conditions a while ago. I would bet that freezing is useless now as the beetles have all ready hatched in other cigars and have started munching the insides of other cigars. If you can return them i would do that, otherwise i'd likely smoke one and see how it is. You may be interested in taking another cigar that doesnt show damage yet and cut it open to find out beetle stages in there.

hotreds
02-25-2009, 09:08 AM
I, too, would like to know where you got these and what marca it is.

Scottw
02-25-2009, 09:15 AM

I agree, it actually looks like a small perferation.

Scottw
02-25-2009, 09:16 AM
That is what is referred to as a track. It is caused by beetles moving from side to side after partially burrowing out of the cigar. Also it appears in your picture to show two semi-matured larva. One is to the far right of that track, that whiteish looking line, the other being right in the middle of the track whaere it bends, it appears to be deeper inside the cigar and is also a pale white color. If the beetles have hatched and matured enough to this stage in these cigars, it more than likely means the cigars were exposed to poor conditions a while ago. I would bet that freezing is useless now as the beetles have all ready hatched in other cigars and have started munching the insides of other cigars. If you can return them i would do that, otherwise i'd likely smoke one and see how it is. You may be interested in taking another cigar that doesnt show damage yet and cut it open to find out beetle stages in there.

Holy crap, that's one heck on an explanation.

shilala
02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
I'd bet my stash on it.
Mikepd's explanation is perfect. If you're outdoorsy at all, grew up in the woods, raised animals, kept bees, or lived on a farm, you get real used to what boring larvae tracks look like.

themoneycollector
02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Yep, you got a beetle problem

Pat1075
02-25-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm voting yes

Volusianator
02-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Ahhh

Smoke it and kill it

LOL, man I love the sound of a beetle getting fried, that snap you get is just music to my ears knowing one of those little bastages will no longer do any damage.

borndead1
02-25-2009, 12:24 PM
If you just got them, send them back. :2

michael88n
02-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Damn. That gives me the Heebie Jeebies.

BC-Axeman
02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
100% agree. Great, now I've got to go inspect my entire stash or else not sleep.

md4958
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/graphics1/cigars.jpg

notice the tunnels on all the sticks

Genetic Defect
02-25-2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/graphics1/cigars.jpg

notice the tunnels on all the sticks

no