PDA

View Full Version : 5 Vegas – Series ‘A’

michael88n
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Yay! My package arrived today in the mail. It’s only 6,000 miles to my B&M, so it’s a nice day when smokes come in.

One of the things that I’ve been looking forward to is a 5-er of these Cincos that I’ve been wanting to try. These smokes are 5.5 x 55 which makes it an “Apotheosis” - No clue what that word means. I’ll have to look it up later. Out of the cello it looks great. Seamless wrapper and no veins are noticeable. Initial smell is like… dark roasted/toasted coffee beans. It smells strong. And it’s dark with a shiny band. It looks cool.

I punch a hole in the end and take a pre-light draw. Niiice! It’s a box press and feels kind of funny in my fingers. Not funny/bad, but funny/clucky. It lights quite well, and right away I get that dark gray start of ash.

First couple of puffs are awesome! I get loads of thick smoke. Pleasant and almost creamy. It starts off mild to medium. The toasty flavor comes out right away. The spice is almost an afterthought. Kind of like a “hey, how ya doin’?!”

About half way though the spice takes a slightly more active role in the flavor. The toastiness is mixed with the roasted coffee and cocoa, but it’s not overwhelming. This is a very relaxing cigar. The ash was dark and stayed on for two inches before I knocked it off. I would have left it on longer, but I’ve already spilled hot sauce on my shirt at lunch time. Even towards the end, it never burned hot. I did get a little wood scent, but I had to reach for it.

This cigar never got beyond medium in strength. That’s not a bad thing. Kind of like a Guinness Draught. It looks dark and strong, but it’s really dark and smooth. And it goes down like a dream. A one hour and 20 minute dream. I finished it, and 20 minutes later wanted another one. But I’ll let the others rest in the ‘dor for a bit. There’s a few more that I want to try first.

And here’s a question I want to ask: When I’m finished smoking a good cigar, I don’t wash my hands for a while so I can smell my fingers (Jeez. You had to go there, didn’t you…). Does anyone else do that? Is there a word for that? I love the smell that this Cinco left on my hands. It’s a toasted chocolate coffee smell and it’s great. Doesn’t even smell like a cigar.

And I just looked the word Apothesis: "model of excellence or perfection of a kind; one having no equal". I know that the ones I have now won’t last long. And I’ll be buying more soon.

Cheers,
Michael

And that is my fourth review.

Kreth
02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
And here’s a question I want to ask: When I’m finished smoking a good cigar, I don’t wash my hands for a while so I can smell my fingers (Jeez. You had to go there, didn’t you…). Does anyone else do that? Is there a word for that? I love the smell that this Cinco left on my hands. It’s a toasted chocolate coffee smell and it’s great. Doesn’t even smell like a cigar.
LOL, I do the same thing after a really good cigar.
Thanks for the review, I'll have to give this stick another try.

Skywalker
02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the review!!!

I was wondering about the Apotheosis!

My favorite of the series is the Apex which is also boxpressed!!!!

michael88n
02-24-2009, 11:41 PM
I posted the hand sniffing question on another thread. The responses started heading south, as I kind of thought they would, and it appears that about 25% of responders and are hand sniffers also.

dccraft
02-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the review. I really like this line a lot. And I come from a long line of finger sniffers. :ss

G G
02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the review, and I too love these cigars.

michael88n
02-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I just read some other reviews of this stogie and noticed that others had noticed a stronger body and ranked it medium to full. Granted, I've only had one, but I thought it was milder than that. Would any of you rated this medium to full?

Cheers,
Michael

Cenookie
02-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Nice review, you're right on with the flavors. I like the Archtype (toro), I would rank them as Med. I gave one to a coworker who claimed he only smoked full body smokes, he loved them. On a side note I'm waiting on a box that I scored on the Devil Site.

eber
02-26-2009, 09:43 AM
I have a box of the Archetypes sitting in the humi, smoked one and found it very nice especially for the price (got it from the devil site)

greenwit
02-26-2009, 05:15 PM
These sticks can be gotten for about $40/box on C-bid (according to the CHIMP searchable database.)

totallytentative
02-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Mmm... can't wait to try these. :) Thanks for the review.

michael88n
02-27-2009, 12:11 AM
greenwit,
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Cheers,
Michael

Stonewall
02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Yes great review!! I love the A series I would have to call it my everyday stick. They are so good and I like everyone of them but I am partial to the box press or the Atomic and for the price it is worth stocking up on them. My bro Elderboy just bombed me with a 5er from CI what a pal!!
Josh

eber
02-27-2009, 10:25 AM
These sticks can be gotten for about $40/box on C-bid (according to the CHIMP searchable database.)
very true I got my box for $37

dentonparrots
02-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Yup..I'm a finger sniffer too!

Here's a thing for you, can you nail the smell from your fingers..can you describe it properly? I can't but whatever it is I love it!

Thanks for the review.

03-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Good review. My fav is the Apocolypse 6x60. I've yet to have a bad Cinco Vegas Series A. I've smoked two or three bundles because the Apocs don't come in a box.

I tend to agree with you they are a medium body smoke. I wouldn't say mild per se, but the wonderful maduro wrapper does help mellow it a little.

Oh yeah, and I have to admit I am a finger sniffer. It's like a echo of the cigar you just enjoyed.

michael88n
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh yeah, and I have to admit I am a finger sniffer. It's like a echo of the cigar you just enjoyed.

Mike,
I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but you nailed it.

Cheers,
Michael

WildBlueSooner
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Smoked one the other day. I enjoyed it a lot. A great affordable smoke! Thanks for the review.

MarkinAZ
03-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Hello Michael,

And thank you for your service to our great country:tu

Excellent review and input on the double nickle. Ah, and yes, guess I can be included in the "finger sniffing pole" too. Its just f****-A great though isn't it?:dance::r:dance:

Thrak
03-06-2009, 08:11 PM
just finished a robusto sized (apothesis?) ... man they're good..

out of a dozen of so I've had of these, I've only had 1 bad one.... totally absolutely plugged.

But the one tonight was AWESOME... I nubbed it until I burned my fingers lol

Luciuswand
03-10-2009, 02:49 AM
The Series 'A' was an immediate favorite. While I would call it a medium, it has enough spice and flavor to satisfy the full body smoker without being so heavy as to knock out the mild-medium crowd. And for the price, its something I can smoke everyday without selling of my kids.

promethius
03-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Nice review, I see some in my near future.

BlackDog
04-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Earlier this evening I smoked my first 5 Vegas A Alpha (torpedo), 6.0" x 52. I liked it very well. I agree that it was medium bodied, with coffee & toast flavors, becoming more spicy as the cigar passed the half way mark. There was also a subtle sweetness throughout the cigar. I had a few issues with the wrapper splitting, which I attribute this to my humi currently being a little on the dry side. But it certainly was not enough to prevent me from enjoying the cigar. Recommended.

Dunkel
06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I love 5 Vegas Series "A" Artisans (Robusto). For the price they are very hard to beat.

Waynegro1
06-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the review.
I've like every 'A' I've had so far, as well.