PDA

View Full Version : Ever had your taste buds crap out on you?

MTB996
02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
So, I've been thinking that I have had terrible luck with cigars tasting stale and funky lately. Now, I think it is actually me and not the cigars. I had a cold/flu about 2-3 weeks ago and am physically over it, but I think my taste buds are not. Almost every cigar I have lately is really weird tasting - sort of sweet, stale, mild. Its somewhat like that flavor profile of cigarettes when you have a head cold, but nearly as bad.

Weird, as I have felt 100% for well over a week, just can't get my taste back. Anyone else experience this?

King James
02-20-2009, 06:40 PM
it happens to me from time to time.... just need to take a bit of a break. Definitely happens after shack herf

ucla695
02-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I've had it happen to me. Take a little break and your taste buds will be back in action.

thebiglebowski
02-21-2009, 06:16 PM
same here. about once a year, i'll go through a period of 'wtf... ?' whether it's due to illness, weather, frame of mind, who knows? same for my booze, food, sense of smell, etc. i think it's probably typical. my wife's the same way.

c2000
02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Going through that now,, some sort of crud I picked up and cannot taste or smell anything..

Jerry in Minnesota.

BORIStheBLADE
02-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I noticed it too. After being sick my taste buds are still wacked out.

DocLogic77
02-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Yeah it does take time...but something I suggest is using either a saline nasal spray (with a good jet stream) to properly irrigate the nose and sinuses...or better yet use a netti pot. I am planning on writing a post on how to use these and why I think it could be beneficial not only for smokers with recent colds...but also to those "nasal blowers" who really enjoy tasting a cigar through the nose. IMO, cleaning your tasting tools properly should really help develop and maintain your palate.

DBall
02-22-2009, 06:12 AM
I am planning on writing a post on how to use these and why I think it could be beneficial not only for smokers with recent colds...but also to those "nasal blowers" who really enjoy tasting a cigar through the nose. IMO, cleaning your tasting tools properly should really help develop and maintain your palate.

Do it, Shawn, and lemme know when it's done... I think that would be a hell of a useful read! :tu

Clampdown
02-22-2009, 07:41 AM
It happened to me day three of Shack 08, but i kept smoking. :ss

tobii3
02-22-2009, 09:13 AM
I've been accused of having lava for taste buds....does that count??

:ss

Buena Fortuna
02-22-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't taste Buds...I taste Mic Ultras
Posted via Mobile Device

CoroHo
02-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I took Zicam once and my tastebuds flatlined for most of a day. Scared HELL outta me! I did some Interwebz research and found out I wasn't alone by a long shot.

neoflex
02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I see you are from NC. Do you suffer from allergies? Could be part of the problem along with the cold. My wife suffers from allergies since moving here and she has been a mess the last couple weeks which I think was brought on by the week or so of 70+ weather. Stuff starting to bloom early etc etc. Just a thought but allergies could play a big part on your sense of taste or lack there of.

pnutbutrsangwich
02-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I took Zicam once and my tastebuds flatlined for most of a day. Scared HELL outta me! I did some Interwebz research and found out I wasn't alone by a long shot.

Throw that Zicam **** out. That effect can be permanent! I tried it for a while and liked the results, but heard scary things about it. I'll never use it again!

Magma
02-24-2009, 02:09 AM
My taste buds have been flatlined ever since I tried to quit in 07. I coudn't stay away and just had to smoke one, maybe two..or ten. I picked up a premium smoke(I can't really remember which one) and it felt like "this is what I should've been doing" but I couldn't put my finger on any of the flavors, tones, undertones etc. ANYTHING!

I figured it's because I need to retrain myself and go back to the begining by reading reviews and even my own old reviews while smoking that particular cigar and tryign to compare them but nothing came up :(

Opportunies to smoke are near zero atm and have been that way for a good while. Makes me sad.

CoroHo
02-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Throw that Zicam **** out. That effect can be permanent! I tried it for a while and liked the results, but heard scary things about it. I'll never use it again!

I did - trust me! I read about a professional chef who lost her sense of taste permanently. Can you imagine?