PDA

View Full Version : iLife '09

Blueface
02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Just got it earlier today.

Even this "break all that is Apple" guy has managed to upgrade my '08 with no glitches.
It is in the process now of going through all of my photos to identify the faces.
Has been at it for about a half hour and seems to be half way through.

So far, I like the features added to iPhoto.
Haven't used them yet as waiting for the program to finish but seems really neat based on the video tutorials.

At the end of the day, for $79? How can you go wrong by upgrading?
Interested to know what others that have it already think.

newcigarz
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Just got it earlier today.

Even this "break all that is Apple" guy has managed to upgrade my '08 with no glitches.
It is in the process now of going through all of my photos to identify the faces.
Has been at it for about a half hour and seems to be half way through.

So far, I like the features added to iPhoto.
Haven't used them yet as waiting for the program to finish but seems really neat based on the video tutorials.

At the end of the day, for $79? How can you go wrong by upgrading?
Interested to know what others that have it already think.

Haven't done it yet, waiting for the right guinea pig.

Blueface
02-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Haven't done it yet, waiting for the right guinea pig.

Guinea pig hard at work now going through the faces set up for my grandson.
Figured I would get the biggest part of my photo library out of the way first.

Blueface
02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
So far.......me likey.

Blueface
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
If you have lots of photos, it will take a while to set up "faces".
The application is not perfect and does mistake faces but overall, pretty neat stuff.
I love the new slideshow feature with it.

tzaddi
02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Would do the upgrade in a flash but sadly my Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 with 3 GB DDR SDRAM falls short of the mark. So sad. I am hoping to get a new computer this year but we shall see :)

My current version of iPhoto has over 31,000 in the main library :)

Blueface
02-20-2009, 07:10 AM
My current version of iPhoto has over 31,000 in the main library :)

Wow!
I currently have 3,660 and that took a while to go through last night for "faces".
So far, I have only finished about 1/3 of the folks I want to do.
I got 23 done last night.
I figured I will do a couple a day from this point forward until done.

Then.....I need to go back and do "places". Seems quite neat also. Pins your photos on a map of the world and can be indexed by location in the world, where the photos were taken.
That one will take a while also.

Can't phantom for the life of me doing 31,000.

TravelingJ
02-20-2009, 10:15 AM
This program sounds like enough to make me buy a Mac! I take pictures all over the world, and that could be just the right thing to help with organizing them.

Blueface
02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
This program sounds like enough to make me buy a Mac! I take pictures all over the world, and that could be just the right thing to help with organizing them.

iPhoto is what pushed me over the edge into a mac.
'09 is a rather nice enhancement for the $79.
I love the new slideshow effects.
Really, really nice stuff that can be uploaded to iTunes, then to your iPod/iPhone.
Just way too cool.
If you are into FaceBook and Flicker, you can click a selection and off your photos go.

Haven't messed with Garage Band yet and will be a while but it seems you can now learn to play an instrument on there. Not sure if that was there before as all I have used it for to date is to cut music segments for ringtones for my iPhone.

Can't tell you if any new features in iDVD as have not messed with that either. I hope they added new themes. iDVD is so, so neat. Very simple way to make DVD's from your movies or photos with themes that make you look like it was a major studio production.

Neat stuff.

Blueface
02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Well, decided to click on iDVD.
It says "loading themes" so I guess I got my wish.

Not many but definitely some new ones.

King James
02-20-2009, 01:16 PM
I like it....with the options to automatically put into flickr or facebook, makes it really easy. The face recognition needs some work, but overall I'd say they did a good job.

Blueface
02-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I like it....with the options to automatically put into flickr or facebook, makes it really easy. The face recognition needs some work, but overall I'd say they did a good job.

Face recognition does a good job on the front end but then starts grasping for straws with some odd ball associations.
I don't see that as a big deal for $79.
If it had cost thousands and was expected to be perfect, then I would be pissed.

TravelingJ
02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Anybody wanting to sell a cheap Mac laptop? : p In general I'd rather put the funds towards my cigar budget, but this really does sound like something good to travel with!

Blueface
02-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Anybody wanting to sell a cheap Mac laptop? : p In general I'd rather put the funds towards my cigar budget, but this really does sound like something good to travel with!

You can pick up the entry level MacBook now for $999.
Wait a month and it should be at $899 at the rate it is dropping in price.