PDA

View Full Version : el may whore emerald

Legend
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Legend is on a roll tonight. I'm on my 6th IPA and 4th cigar of the night. So I went with a yard gar. There I go giving away the rating prematurely.

Honestly I avoided this cigar after trying the el may whore espresso. A true dog rocket and one of very few sticks I pitched without finishing multiple times as I gave it a couple chances. Then just have the rest away to someone I didn't particularly like. (just kidding. I threw 3 away). First I call it el may whore because CI is fooling no one. Its their private label and they pimp it like nothing else. Even their other private label (which is not nearly as bad) 5 Vegas.

This one however is not as bad as the espresso. Its a decent yard gar. However more expensive than. The other el cheapo sticks I got recently.

It is made fairly well. While it is a bit loose and fast burning. The draw is always good (a characteristic it shares with 5 Vegas) the flavor is medium bodied and is unremarkable (like most yard gars) and a bit bitter.

I was sure it would be a dog rocket but it surprised me pleasantly and is worthy of a 2 legend rating. I would take my cremosas or the oro's I got cheaper first.

Legend is a bit tipsy and wants to shout out some love to the botl. Big love. Send legend a smoke if you want a review. (shameless plug for free smokes)

Good night.

68TriShield
02-19-2009, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the warning ;)

Starscream
02-19-2009, 05:38 AM
I enjoy the Esspresso more than I do the Emerald. And both of them beat a cremosa or oro cubano hands down anyday. For me, I believe that the Espresso is a decent yardgar.

BlackIrish
02-19-2009, 06:01 AM
I enjoy the Esspresso more than I do the Emerald. And both of them beat a cremosa or oro cubano hands down anyday. For me, I believe that the Espresso is a decent yardgar.

:tpd: Although I kind of like the shaggy foot on the emerald

s15driftking
02-19-2009, 06:14 AM
As andy said, the espresso is a great "drunk cigar".

You can even taste it after 3 cigars, haha

14holestogie
02-19-2009, 06:31 AM
CI has many more worse than the Emerald. Decent, in my book. :)

Scottw
02-19-2009, 07:39 AM
I love your reviews bud!

mrreindeer
02-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I love your reviews bud!

:tpd: Absolutely, thanks Shawn & damn good seein' ya!

G G
02-19-2009, 08:43 AM
CI has many more worse than the Emerald. Decent, in my book. :)
:tpd:

Ratters
02-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Yep, I find the Emerald to be a perfectly decent bargain smoke. :ss

borndead1
02-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Man, I love the Emeralds. I think they have a very unique flavor.

elderboy02
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Yep, I find the Emerald to be a perfectly decent bargain smoke. :ss

+1. I love the Emeralds for the price

s15driftking
02-19-2009, 09:04 AM
+1. I love the Emeralds for the price

Never cared to try the emerald... but i would pay 4 bucks for an EM espresso. maybe 4.50.

Patron
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM

I'm with Andy........I like the Espresso, especially with coffee in the morning...don't much care for the Emerald.

Legend
02-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Maybe I need to give the espresso another shot. Basically I got a 5 pack. Tried one and pitched it prior to halfway. Which is saying a lot. Hell I can smoke oro cubano and cremosas. Let them sit for a few months and tried another. Pitched it after about an inch and a half. Then round filed the rest. So maybe I'll give one another shot. But I'm not likely to pay for it. Some botl (hint hint) will send me one or two along with some others. :-P

Lucky_Hippo
02-19-2009, 01:53 PM
I kind of like the esspresso every once in awhile, but I'm not a huge fan of the emerald. Once you get past the shaggy foot and about an inch or so into the wrapper it makes for an okay smoke, but the first 15 minutes is just tobacco without a remarkable flavor IMHO. I admit, I do like the looks of the shaggy foot, cedar sleeve, and pigtail cap. It makes for a really nice presentation.

:ss

Starscream
02-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I kind of like the esspresso every once in awhile, but I'm not a huge fan of the emerald. Once you get past the shaggy foot and about an inch or so into the wrapper it makes for an okay smoke, but the first 15 minutes is just tobacco without a remarkable flavor IMHO. I admit, I do like the looks of the shaggy foot, cedar sleeve, and pigtail cap. It makes for a really nice presentation.

:tpd:

My thoughts EXACTLY on the Emerald.

Ratters
02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Maybe I need to give the espresso another shot. Basically I got a 5 pack. Tried one and pitched it prior to halfway. Which is saying a lot. Hell I can smoke oro cubano and cremosas. Let them sit for a few months and tried another. Pitched it after about an inch and a half. Then round filed the rest. So maybe I'll give one another shot. But I'm not likely to pay for it. Some botl (hint hint) will send me one or two along with some others. :-P

The Espresso is horrid till it gets about six months on it to mellow out the harshness. PM me your addy and I'll send you a fiver next week. :ss

One of the things I like about the Emerald is that flavor change when you hit the wrapper. Shows how much flavor a wrapper imparts.

borndead1
02-20-2009, 06:47 AM
The Espresso is horrid till it gets about six months on it to mellow out the harshness.
One of the things I like about the Emerald is that flavor change when you hit the wrapper. Shows how much flavor a wrapper imparts.

In 100% agreement on both statements.

Legend
02-20-2009, 07:54 AM
The Espresso is horrid till it gets about six months on it to mellow out the harshness. PM me your addy and I'll send you a fiver next week. :ss

That's love yo.

Pms

Legend
03-19-2009, 07:57 AM

Bomb received!!!!

Thank you very much.

El mejor espresso torpedos and some hitch hikers. Man o' war Churchill. Legends yellow. A Camacho I haven't identified yet. A G.A.R. And a partagas I still need to identify. Thank. You thank you.

Legend
03-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Bomb received!!!!

Thank you very much.

El mejor espresso torpedos and some hitch hikers. Man o' war Churchill. Legends yellow. A Camacho I haven't identified yet. A G.A.R. And a partagas I still need to identify. Thank. You thank you.

the camacho is a corojo and the partagas is a spanish rosado. Thanks again

Don Fernando
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Don Fernando would really like to know why Legend writes in third person about himself.

Starscream
03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Don Fernando would really like to know why Legend writes in third person about himself.

I thought that was Squid at the old establishment who writes in the third person.
The only person I know who can get away w/ speaking in third person and sounding cool is "The Rock". :tu

Mr Edmundo
03-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Surprised you called the Expresso a dog rocket. Thought it was decent. But the emerald was my preference. Only had one of each, but would definitely get more Emeralds if the price is right. And spot on about the presentation. Looks cool, but most importantly, it has the flavor profile I like. Solid 3 on the Legend rating.

Ratters
03-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the return hit Shawn!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Star%20Wars%20Petaluma/IMG_0204.jpg

What's the Gurkha in the cedar?

shadow king
03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Some interesting reviews to say the least about these dog rockets. CI sent me both brands as a "freebie" to go along with another order. Usually when a company wants to throw in freebies I'm instantly worried about the quality of the cigar. Needless to say I am not touching these dogs until they have had a long hibernation.

If anybody wants a 2nd opinion on either brand I'd be more than happy to throw a few your way.

s15driftking
03-24-2009, 02:40 PM

looks like a black dragon... but the end looks shaggy in the pic... can anyone confirm?

Legend
03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the return hit Shawn!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Rattersar15/Star%20Wars%20Petaluma/IMG_0204.jpg

That is special little limited edition. From Gurkha. The dragonfire. Same wrapper as the black dragon but cameroon filler. This is one of my 5 legend ratings. It is truly a wonderful smoke.

Ratters
03-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Awesome, can't wait to try it! :tu Thanks again Shawn. :ss

BamBam
03-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Return hit..very classy sir :tu

bookman
03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
The Em is pretty good, but the spresso is dry and flavorless. Right on Legend! Take that CI "house brand" maduro!!!!

shadow king
04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Finally tapped into my supply of Emeralds. It was suprisingly pretty good. The cedar wrapped around it may make it get better with some age? These have a nice little touch of spice that sneak up on you. I think it has a lot to do with the shaggy foot.

borndead1
04-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Smoking an Espresso robusto right now. I like these as a mild maduro. I wish they would come up with a better dye recipe for the wrapper though. :r