PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen a travel humi like this???

Smokin Gator
02-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Can you tell me what brand or any opinions?

Looks like it might be worth the $25 bucks they are asking!!!

pnoon
02-18-2009, 06:39 AM
IMO, your $25 is better spent on a Cigar Caddy/Otterbox/Pelican case type traveldor. More durable and better seal to maintain humidity.

Blueface
02-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Looks like the "Colibri" type aluminum travel humi that I have are common except this one has a hygrometer through it.

On Ebay, you can pick them up without the hygrometer for around $25 or less in some cases.

That price is about right but just don't know how reliable that hygrometer would be and if worth it.

tobii3
02-18-2009, 07:33 AM
there is NO seal.

You'd be better off throwing your sticks in a cardboard box.

No kidding.

Take a little flashlight, throw it inside, close the lid. Turn off the lights in the room. Great nightlight.

Smokin Gator
02-18-2009, 08:00 AM
there is NO seal.

No kidding.

Take a little flashlight, throw it inside, close the lid. Turn off the lights in the room. Great nightlight.

:r:r

Thanks for the info... I will pass on it. I already have a couple of Herf-a Dors so I didn't really need it anyway.

Screwbag
02-18-2009, 08:05 AM
I love my otter box! the 5ct and the 15ct. with a water pillow it's foolproof.

ucla695
02-18-2009, 08:27 AM
IMO, your $25 is better spent on a Cigar Caddy/Otterbox/Pelican case type traveldor. More durable and better seal to maintain humidity.

:tpd: I love my Cigar Caddies!!

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-18-2009, 08:29 AM
there is NO seal.

No kidding.

:r

Blueface
02-18-2009, 09:15 AM
there is NO seal.

No kidding.

They don't use a seal.
They are designed to work like a desktop humidor with beveled wood resting against more beveled wood.

However, I would agree with you on the leaks as after a while of using it, mine no longer closes snug as it use to, and sadly, I haven't used it very often.

SilverFox
02-18-2009, 09:18 AM
I like the look of it.

It would make a great dry box too.

Plus on the seal side one strip of 1/4 inch weather stripping and you would be good to go.

I am ok with my Xikar 30ct and my Cigar Caddy 10 ct for now.

karmaz00
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
yeah a cigar caddy is the way to go

Blueface
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
yeah a cigar caddy is the way to go

Just make sure if you are flying and check in your luggage, you have the type with release valve or you will otherwise spend quite a bit of time trying to pry it open.:r

skeeter
02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Just make sure if you are flying and check in your luggage, you have the type with release valve or you will otherwise spend quite a bit of time trying to pry it open.:r

Should only be a problem for you on the return trip....yer at about 50' elevation there.....:ss
I did spend quite a while with a quarter opening one of these after a flight...needed the dang cigar pretty bad after all that effort....stupid air pressure.

Cyanide
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
You might also want to check MEC. Its not on the shelves right now, as its more a summer product. But, ask them for their GSI lexan cases. for about 20 bucks you can pick up a case that seals great (almost too great), is see through, and holds 30 NCs without a problem, with space for hygro and humidity system. I am using one right now for more NC overflow (orphans). Plus, they are pretty bomb-proof.

Cheers

John

MithShrike
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM

:tpd:

Yep. I just saw someone return a box like the one in the OP to my local B&M because it was destroyed in transit.

NCRadioMan
02-18-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a couple and they work perfectly. I use my caddy 99.9% of the time though.

tobii3
02-18-2009, 05:51 PM
I've got just about every size of CigarCaddy/OtterBox/Pelican/Hardigg case you can think of or imagine...I've deployed them around the world numerous times in the past umpteen years, and I'm getting ready to deploy yet again...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/tobii3/006-6.jpg

I wouldn't waste my time or money on that case, Gator.

MikeyC
02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I have a case like that. It's a complete POS. I've been using it of late until I get my hands on a herf-a-dor, but it's terrible. The worst part is that the cigars roll around in it (damage risk).

Blueface
02-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I have a case like that. It's a complete POS. I've been using it of late until I get my hands on a herf-a-dor, but it's terrible. The worst part is that the cigars roll around in it (damage risk).

Good point but the same happens with my Cigar Caddy if I don't use the layer foam.

Simple fix for that. Whenever I have used that metal case (and it comes in handy on some trips when I want something flat for my bags), I use bubble wrap as filler to stop the cigars from moving. Works real well.