PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your humidor?

Footbag
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
How do you sort your cigars/boxes in your humidor? By brand, country, size, etc...

I sort by country, then size. If I sort by brand, it takes up way too much space.

But now, my humidor is getting to the point where my cigars from one specific country:rolleyes: are taking up more then one shelf and I'm going to have to expand to another countries shelf. It looks like my Dominican and Nicaraguan shelves are going to merge to the bottom. Only thing that I don't like is that I'm going to have to bend over to pick up my DPG's and Illusiones.:(

This is an obsessive compulsive cigar smokers biggest nightmare. Never thought I'd be saying this since I bought my 3000-ct, but I should've gone bigger.:ss

GTsetGO
02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
i have 2 humidors. a 160 ct that i built myself and a 75 count.

i store cigars that i have yet to try and might like in the 75 count. If i like the cigar after a couple of times smoking it, i buy more and they go into my larger humi.

in that humidor, they are organized by manufacturer.

white_s2k
02-17-2009, 04:27 PM
But now, my humidor is getting to the point where my cigars from one specific country:rolleyes: are taking up more then one shelf and I'm going to have to expand to another countries shelf. It looks like my Dominican and Nicaraguan shelves are going to merge to the bottom. Only thing that I don't like is that I'm going to have to bend over to pick up my DPG's and Illusiones.:(

I wish I had your problem :ss

karmaz00
02-17-2009, 04:41 PM
well i have a 100ct desktop with some everyday value smokes. (full)
1X 65L coolidor. has 50 NC singles and 7 NC boxes
1X 65L coolidor has 12 CC boxes aging.

ca21455
02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Interesting because I was cleaning up my cabinet yesterday. I keep brands together in the drawers but the boxes are placed where they fit best. I log everything on a spreadsheet so I can find what I need and also keep an inventory.

Been working on a walk-in humi and when that is done all the boxes will go on shelves and I will be able to walk around and admire them. :)

hotreds
02-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Try to keep brands together- and one big box with orphans.

elderboy02
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM
My humis/coolers aren't organized at all. I have too many different brands/countries to keep them organized.

Cyanide
02-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I have three "humidors". One is for CC, one is for NC, one is for orphans.

My CC humi is most organized. I sort by Marka, but since I usually only have one vitola per marka (at this point) then they are typically all the same rough size.

My NC humi is also organized by Marka. But, there is more vitola variation per brand in there. So, the space is a little more wasted there, combining with the fact that NCs tend to be larger, makes that humi quite crowded.

The orphan humi is a complete tetris game, and packed to the gills (its really a transparent box similar to a mini-pelican case...holds 30 if I give them a little squeeze)

Cheers

mcmoyer
02-17-2009, 05:35 PM
My humis/coolers aren't organized at all. I have too many different brands/countries to keep them organized.

Same here...pandemonium reigns!!

:D

fuubar
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
For my Vino I just hum tetris music and see what I can cram in there.

For my coffee table I keep my prized yard gars in a prominent central location and the rare and expensive sticks off to the sides. That way when new people want to try a cigar they are happy to grab a cheap stick and anyone who know better can still get to the good stuff.

NickyTeen
02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
No method to my madness. When I get cigars I move things around to make room. Maybe someday I'll organize.

Smokin Gator
02-17-2009, 07:12 PM
I have one Vino that is for CC aging. It is not really organized... I would say Tetrisized.

My other Vino is for NCs and single CCs. I have two drawers of NCs that are for anytime smoking. One is mostly DP blends and one is mostly gifted sticks. I also have two trays of CCs that are for anytime smoking. They are mostly gifted. A few boxes of NCs have also migrated up into that Vino.

HK3-
02-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Mostly boxes so that's just a big game of Tetris. ;)

I have two small humis inside my big humi, one for cc singles and the other for NC singles.

WyGuy
02-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Everything is based on size, big stuff on the bottom and small stuff up top. Don't have to many different brands so it's not a big deal to find what I want at this time.

troutbreath
02-18-2009, 04:55 AM
I put 'em where they fit. That is all.

tunes
02-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Organized? I just wiggle and shake, the hummi that is, until they all fit! :D

ucla695
02-18-2009, 06:54 AM
I put 'em where they fit. That is all.

:tpd:

It's a big game of cigar Tetris for me.

chenvt
02-18-2009, 07:45 AM
my vinos are choc full.. I've started combining boxes together to save on space and at the same time selling some smokes that I don't plan on smoking immediately or can easily obtained

Kreth
02-18-2009, 07:48 AM
I just have a 100-count. In the bottom I have bundles of my favorites so far. The top tray is loose singles, plus a little overflow from the bottom.

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-18-2009, 08:13 AM
NC and CC are split up.

s15driftking
02-18-2009, 08:16 AM
i am a stickler for "presentation" so i never could use space efficiently. A few weeks ago i was driving myself crazy because i could make it all fit while having it look nice.... So i decided to bomb the crap out fo my friends and now i am down to "spick and span" in the humi!

GTsetGO
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
same here. i am a little anal on how everything looks. lol

I like a clean looking humidor.

Thrak
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
me too, I actually sort my top tray (the one you can see thru the glass) in order of wrapper darkness... far left is ultra dark, far right is light brown. :D

under that tray I have them sorted by brand, by type... ie - 1 stack of 5Vegas Gold next to 1 stack of 5Vegas Classic next to 1 stack 5Vegas Miami...

I guess I'm a bit anal about it as well. lol

Smokin Gator
02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
me too, I actually sort my top tray (the one you can see thru the glass) in order of wrapper darkness... far left is ultra dark, far right is light brown. :D

under that tray I have them sorted by brand, by type... ie - 1 stack of 5Vegas Gold next to 1 stack of 5Vegas Classic next to 1 stack 5Vegas Miami...

I guess I'm a bit anal about it as well. lol

I'd say!!!!:r:r

King James
02-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I wish I had enough cigars to need some sort of organizational system lol!

I keep boxes on one half and then a few trays of singles on the other of the cooler

Beer Doctor
02-18-2009, 12:12 PM
I organize my coolidor the only way I can (read=the only way they'll fit:D). I've become a master at tetris.

My desktop is ordered with give aways (to non-smokers) in a smaller compartment and the keepers are in the large compartment usually arranged by size.

Jbailey
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3383/nestetrisboxfrontmg5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I got one packed cooler right now and a desktop. Looking at getting another cooler quickly just for boxes that I'm putting down for a long nap. That would help make some room.

Beer Doctor
02-18-2009, 01:35 PM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3383/nestetrisboxfrontmg5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I got one packed cooler right now and a desktop. Looking at getting another cooler quickly just for boxes that I'm putting down for a long nap. That would help make some room.

I'd like to get a new cooler too but the problem is I'll fill it up and I can't afford that:D

Ragin Cajun
02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I like my smokes all in order divided by country, brand, size, and whether or not they are in the cellophane or not. Not to mention that they are all facing the same way with the band up and able to be read.

Skywalker
02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
We are supposed to organize our cigars??? Nobody told me!!!:r

Cyanide
02-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Well yes....yes you are.

Otherwise, keeping different types of cigars too close together allows them to swap each others aromas and taste over time.....in essence they "marry". You don't want that, you don't want your cohibas to start tasting like your macunodos now do you?

That is, of course, if you buy into that crap. I can't say this truly happens, but why not. You don't put vanilla extract in your humi for fear that all your esplendidas will turn into swisher sweet.

Cheers

foomanto
02-18-2009, 04:23 PM
mostly by brand then size

Studebaker
02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
I guess I'm the non-conformist. Older ones in the top tray, newer ones in the bottom. I don't have enough to get any more anal than that.

DBall
02-18-2009, 05:11 PM
I sort by country, then size. If I sort by brand, it takes up way too much space.

I don't really have the country of origin problem, so I sort by marca. ;)

bobarian
02-18-2009, 05:17 PM
D'Oh! You are supposed to organize them???? Like Dan, country of origin is not a problem, but I just jam the boxes in wherever they will fit. Sometimes I will consolidate dress boxes in cabinets if available.

nozero
02-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I put cigars in it.
:tu

groogs
02-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I have emptied all my dress boxes into small humidors that basically act like big cabs, then I cram everything else in any empty space.

DPD6030
02-18-2009, 07:18 PM
I sort by getting another humi! :ss

Old Sailor
02-18-2009, 08:16 PM
If you want to see organized, look at Nick's humi!:cool2::cool2:

Geppetto
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
I put cigars in it.
:tu

I'll 2nd that! :ss

acarr
02-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I just have two drawers sorted. One is nothing but lancero's and the other is nothing but Fuente stuff. Everything else is just there.

tony montana
02-19-2009, 02:55 PM
i am a stickler for "presentation" so i never could use space efficiently. A few weeks ago i was driving myself crazy because i could make it all fit while having it look nice.... So i decided to bomb the crap out fo my friends and now i am down to "spick and span" in the humi!

you have some lucky friends, in my opinion ;)

greets tjeerd

MikeyC
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I keep all my boxes in my cooler in no particular order. The singles end up in my 300 count. I try to keep all my singles organized by brand but that doesn't always happen. Since the top of the humi is glass I keep my most impressive singles in the top tray. Beyond that there's really not too much organization in there.

G G
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I used to use software to keep up with em, but quit. I have two of the double trays from Chasden for my vino and just have em in there and a few boxes with loose ones in there as well.

Smokin Gator
02-19-2009, 07:31 PM
have em in there and a few boxes with loose ones in there as well.

You pig!!!:ss:ss

Let's herf!!!

Cyclone
02-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I just dumped all the contents from all boxes into 1 large cardboard box that just fits into my wine cooler....

J/k...

Single MTMouse custom combo tray for the singles... all the rest in boxes... don't have enough to play Tetris right now...

K Baz
02-19-2009, 09:24 PM
I tried to sort by size - not enough space

I tried to sort by brand - not enough space

I tried to sort by anything - not enough space

Now I don't sort I simply pack to fit the space.

Waynegro1
02-19-2009, 09:33 PM
I sort them by brand. It takes some time and some organizational skills but this is what I do. My cabinet is set up this way and I have seperate humis for my CC vitolas which is set up the same. I also seperate the different brands and vitolas with strips of cedar from empty boxes in hopes of slowing down the marrying process. I also have another humi that stores my everyday smokes, another for work/yard gars.

Yeah, I've got the OCD something awful :hn

Cyanide
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
So, if you just described your method as being my method exactly, and you go and say that you have OCD does that mean I am also mentally ill?

I say its just you....I am still OK

Rabidsquirrel
02-23-2009, 07:33 PM
I pack it so they all fit in there. And if I take something out, they never go back in the same way...

taltos
02-23-2009, 07:49 PM
At present I am running two large desktops and 2 coolers. One desktop has all singles 5.5" and over and the other one has all singles under 5.5". Stuff that I don't smoke too often and I only have a couple of go into a box in the cooler that is labelled loose singles. Most overstock is in original boxes and is part of an ongoing Tetris game that will be played again Friday when an order comes in. One hint for cooler Tetris fans, Indian Tabac Classic Tomahawk boxes are perfect for holding an entire box of 25 toros in less space than a normal cigar box-they look more like an index card file box and can fit almost anywhere.:ss

Waynegro1
02-23-2009, 07:57 PM
So, if you just described your method as being my method exactly, and you go and say that you have OCD does that mean I am also mentally ill?

I say its just you....I am still OK

Sounds like you may be in the first stage of what "they" call denial. You know the stage where you think the doctor is wrong, that there is no way you have a mental disorder. :r:r:r

TripleF
02-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Don't have enough to organize.

If I did I'd probably organize them by Rocky Patel and........... ALL OTHERS.

taltos
02-24-2009, 04:36 AM

Referral made to the Masshole Relief Agency for action.:D

TravelingJ
02-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Currently the plan is to leave them in the box they came in, or in the bag I bought them with. I usually get home just long enough to shove them in the Vino, and get back on the road. Since I have some of ChasDen's trays on order, I might actually have the girlfriend organize them however she wants, to see what she comes up with. Could be interesting!

dunng
02-24-2009, 06:43 AM

:hm I knew I should have sent extra extras.... :c

GrtndpwrflOZ
02-24-2009, 07:02 AM
I use the Tetris method. If that doesn't work I use the 10,000 lb. Press.
It gets the job done and i have created new blends.

B

Teeznutz
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
CCs based on brand and size......

FriskyDingo
02-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I use the Tetris method. If that doesn't work I use the 10,000 lb. Press.
It gets the job done and i have created new blends.

B

Created new blends and a few new boxed press cigars as well! :r

I stick with the Tetris method that seems to be fairly common here. I used to keep them organized by brand, but then space began to run low and now I peek through the space between the boxes to see what's behind them!

DPD6030
02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I put boxes in and singles I sort by brand seperating with cedar sheets from boxes that I've made to fit in my drawer. I played cigar tetris in two vinos and ran out of room so yesterday I bought a 60qt. cooler.

Megatron
03-01-2009, 09:51 PM
The bottom of my 100 ct is torps and larger on the left and then robustos and coronas on the right. the top tray has whatever I'm into for the month. Usually robustos and coronas on the right then whatever else on the left. Then I have a smaller 20ct perdomo box that I have my small amount of habanos in :)

Volusianator
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I try to keep brands together, but for the most part just put stuff where it fits.

marge796
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I throw all the kids together naked in the pool with no organization what so ever with no regrets. :fu

CBI_2
03-04-2009, 05:28 PM
:r:r:r This thread implies actually having enough cigars to need to organize. :dance:

gnukfu
03-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Cubans in one Vino and non-cubans in the other.

pmp
03-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I keep all the cigars in the boxes they came in. When the boxes get empty or close to empty I put the singles in a desktop.

shvictor
03-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Cubans in one Vino and non-cubans in the other.

I cant wait until I can do that..:ss

big a
03-07-2009, 09:43 PM
In the vino i have one drawer that i try to keep same brand cigars together. Then i have another drawer full of random brands of singles. Under all of that i have boxes and i also have a small plast shelf that has 3 drawers, the top has rare cigars i want to try and the last two drawers i have CCs. I also have a 25ct glass top that just has acids and related cigars in it.

SilverFox
03-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I am at the point where singles are in Ziplocadors, one cooler for unopened boxes, one rubbermadador for unopened boxes, and two Vinos for open boxes, and a 100 ct desktop for opus.

I will have to start another cooler at the end of the week.

leasingthisspace
03-07-2009, 10:41 PM
You guys are my Heroes.

Cyanide
03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Having just moved into my 2nd quality humidor (a 300 ct) I now am back to not having to think too hard about organizing. I now can put all cigars of a specific brand together, stack them in little pyramids with plenty of space between. This thing has got plenty of excess space. It feels good not having to cram them in anymore.

Kreth
03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Having just moved into my 2nd quality humidor (a 300 ct) I now am back to not having to think too hard about organizing. I now can put all cigars of a specific brand together, stack them in little pyramids with plenty of space between. This thing has got plenty of excess space. It feels good not having to cram them in anymore.
Post pics in a month and show us how much free space you have... :r