PDA

View Full Version : A question on them bunsen burner thingies...

WWhermit
02-16-2009, 09:28 AM
...from a non-cigar smoker.

An avid pipe smoker here. I was at a friend's house that is "getting into" cigars. He has this thing that looks like a bunsen burner to light his cigar with.

He tells me that you should light a cigar with a lighter, and never puff on a cigar while lighting. He just holds it over this burner like he's roasting a marshmallow.

Any truth to this, or did he get taken for a sucker? I appreciate any info from you gents.

WWhermit
:pi

NCRadioMan
02-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Sounds like a table top lighter like "The Burner" from Alec Bradley. They work very well.

http://duquecigars.com/images/Burner-solo.jpg
As for lighting, everyone has there own preferred method. Some toast the foot slowly until it is fully lit and others, like me, just light and go. 90% of the time anyway.

HK3-
02-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I always "toast" the foot before drawing on the cigar. I never draw a flame directly into the cigar because I fear it will overheat the cigar.

WWhermit
02-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Very interesting, I learn something new every day.

Thank you for the info!

WWhermit
:pi

Snake Hips
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Sounds like "The Burner" yeah. I hate it.

Tredegar
02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
If I have a torch I toast the foot. If I use a match I just light up and go for it.

greenwit
02-16-2009, 04:03 PM
It's good for torching big ring sticks but don't use it much anymore. Actually is was originally designed as a Crème Brulee burner....it's a soft flame which means that wind blows it around real easy and it's almost impossible to see outside.