PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone company recommendations

DPD6030
02-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Come May my plan with Sprint/Nextel will be up. I do not want them again as my carrier. I'm looking at probably Verizon or AT&T as the carrier. I live in SW Michigan near the Indiana border. Anyone with advice I am willing to hear it. Pros/Cons of each. Thanks guys/gals.

Andrew

ucubed
02-15-2009, 07:29 PM
I miss Verizon. I literally had signal EVERYWHERE I went. It's a bit more expensive, but you are paying for quality I can assure you

DrDubzz
02-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I have AT&T and am satisfied with it. However if Verizon existed where I am, I would likely switch. I've never heard anyone complain about their verizon service

groogs
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I have AT&T and never have any service problems, although that probably doesn't help you in Michigan.

elderboy02
02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Verizon. There are only 2 spots I can think of that I don't get signal.

Darrell
02-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I have Verizon, I get a signal everywhere. :tu

TripleF
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I have Verizon, I get a signal everywhere. :tu

:tpd:

That's why I bought Verizon and that's why I have a signal when I'm in the Appalachians Mountains in North Carolina near the Blue Ridge Parkway :D

BigAl_SC
02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
We are on verizon and get a signal everywhere. At&t (when it was cingular) would lose signal and drop in the middle of town.... Might have gotten better in the last 5 years.

Real reason for us is the 17 family members that also have Verizon. Verizon to verizon does not take plan minutes......

smokeyandthebandit05
02-15-2009, 09:05 PM
I love verizon too. Even when my phone shows no service in the building I work in I can still call and text with no problems.

smokeyandthebandit05
02-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Verizon
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=newsearch

AT&T
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

verizon has more coverage :tu

chippewastud79
02-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Verizon. Not just because of the cell tower service, but the customer service. I started with them mostly because of the "IN" thing, all of my family, best friends, fiance, her family, most of the people I talk to the most have Verizon, saves a ton of minutes. The people in my local store always take the time to fix or replace anything I might have a problem with. Never had to pay for phone book transfers or to get a phone replaced. New feature they now offer is that you can change plans every month if you like, and backdate plans if you happen to go over the minutes you had allotted for the month. Also, not sure who you work for, but they have a discount for a ton of companies, up to 20%+ off your bill and 50%+ off your phones and accessories based on your employers. But I am a homer I suppose :tu

icehog3
02-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I have AT&T.....I don't recommend them.

Silound
02-15-2009, 10:19 PM
I HAD AT&T when they merged into Cingular. Then Katrina hit, and I was without reliable cell reception or service for nearly 2 weeks before I got fed up annd moved to Verizon (who's towers and service remained in operation to far better effect than AT&T/Cingular did).

Been with Verizon now since then, and I've loved it every minute.

Ace$nyper
02-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Never met one I liked, I'm about to dump my phone again.

I really don't like having one, and I'm paying for a headache?

I've found really more then company it's the area, I've heard oh well XYZ is great and when I hit a dead spot they did too.

So grab who's cheapest my personal thoughts. They all treat you like a dog and you can pretty much put any phone on any net work, I've found in traveling over 12 states with the 2 different phones I had provider didn't matter dead zones = dead zones.

icehog3
02-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I HAD AT&T when they merged into Cingular. Then Katrina hit, and I was without reliable cell reception or service for nearly 2 weeks before I got fed up annd moved to Verizon (who's towers and service remained in operation to far better effect than AT&T/Cingular did).

Been with Verizon now since then, and I've loved it every minute.

I am going to look into Verizon in the very near future.

AD720
02-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Here is another vote for Verizon.

My personal Pros/Cons

Pros:

1 - The coverage can't be beat
2 - Most of the people I talk to have Verizon (family, friends, co-workers)
3 - Overall good customer service
4 - Good selection of hardware
5 - Good online bill pay/usage information
6 - You can call Tom for free! :D
I am going to look into Verizon in the very near future.

Cons:

1 - Verizon cripples the hardware
2 - Have to pay for features that would come for free with other carriers (a component of Con #1)

icehog3
02-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Cons:

1 - Verizon cripples the hardware

I am not very "tech savvy", Andrew, can you explain this for me please? :)

AD720
02-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I am not very "tech savvy", Andrew, can you explain this for me please? :)

Sure.

Pretty much stuff like downloading pictures directly to your computer (hence the "Pix-Place" or whatever they call it), moving audio flies from your computer to your phone, A LOT of bluetooth functions (beside basic hands free) are restricted due to Verizon not allowing OBEX bluetooth transfers, GPS limiting so you have to pay $9.99 a month to use the Verizon GPS software.

Verizon also installs their stock software on pretty much every standard phone. If you've ever seen the real Razr software, for example, compared to Verizon's software it is night and day how much smoother and nicer the stock Motorola software is.

This especially applies to the PDA type phones, but having to use Verizon's software to tether the phone with computer and share the internet connection, and paying a lot extra for a "data plan", certain file transferring and sync features are also disabled.

I think it is getting better now (being able to use a memory card to transfer media, for example) so maybe they are finally coming around.

icehog3
02-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Sure.

Pretty much stuff like downloading pictures directly to your computer (hence the "Pix-Place" or whatever they call it), moving audio flies from your computer to your phone, A LOT of bluetooth functions (beside basic hands free) are restricted due to Verizon not allowing OBEX bluetooth transfers, GPS limiting so you have to pay $9.99 a month to use the Verizon GPS software.

Verizon also installs their stock software on pretty much every standard phone. If you've ever seen the real Razr software, for example, compared to Verizon's software it is night and day how much smoother and nicer the stock Motorola software is.

This especially applies to the PDA type phones, but having to use Verizon's software to tether the phone with computer and share the internet connection, and paying a lot extra for a "data plan", certain file transferring and sync features are also disabled.

I think it is getting better now (being able to use a memory card to transfer media, for example) so maybe they are finally coming around.

Thank you Andrew....I may reach out to you for some advice when I get around to making the switch if that's OK.

AD720
02-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Thank you Andrew....I may reach out to you for some advice when I get around to making the switch if that's OK.

I'll be here. :tu

Smoking Dragon
02-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I have had Verizon, AT&T, and now Sprint. I can't wait till my contract is up so that I can return to Verizon. I have found that when i travel it is the best.

Sarge

Junior
02-16-2009, 09:26 AM
I am with AT&T, but the only reason is because most of my friends and family are. They have pretty good coverage where I travel so no issues with that. I also like the fact that you can just switch out your sim card to a new phone without taking it in and having it reprogramed. The main reason I do that is so I can use two phone one small one and one pda.

Blueface
02-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I love verizon too. Even when my phone shows no service in the building I work in I can still call and text with no problems.

That is not due to Verizon.
Text messages consume/utilize very minimal amount of "space" for the networks.
As such, they transmit before any cell signal can ever make it through.
That is why when all fails, they still work.

Having both networks, AT&T and Verizon in my household, and traveling the country, having noticed any difference in service.
I would buy the phone I like, such as if you want an iPhone, the choice of carrier is simplified.

tunes
02-16-2009, 09:56 AM
I've had Verizon for years and wouldn't consider anything else - we've had issues with teen txt msg that would have normally send our bill through the roof! Called the Verizon rep and they would re-work our account, back date a program, what ever it took to keep the bill down. Hands down the best service I've ever received plus you can't beat the new phone every two years! :D

Raralith
02-16-2009, 09:58 AM
In Los Angeles, covrage is pretty good for all carriers so company isn't a real issue; it's the phones. I just swithed from my T-Mobile Blackberry to AT&T IPhone (posting from it now) because only AT&T carries it. It was the same for my wife's phone, the Samsung Eternitity. Coverage aside, some carriers have exclusive contacts where you cannot get the phone anywhere else so whatever phone has the best utility is what we go for.

Also, Verizon phones do not use SIM cards so you cannot pop it into a different phone and use it; you have to buy anyother phone. Definitely a turnoff if you want more advanced and newer cellphone.

Smokin Gator
02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
I think as much as anything it is the area you live in. Around here Altell has by far the best coverage, but don't try traveling with it. I had t-Mobile for quite some time and was please. However, were I will be moving to had pretty poor coverage by them. I went with AT&T because I travel out of the country and Verizon uses a system that no place else in the world uses. AT&T phones work great in other countries that I have been to.

ashtonlady
02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
You will be be happy to know Smokin Gator, tht Alltel is now Verizion.

Darrell
02-16-2009, 10:21 AM
That is not due to Verizon.
Text messages consume/utilize very minimal amount of "space" for the networks.
As such, they transmit before any cell signal can ever make it through.
That is why when all fails, they still work.

Having both networks, AT&T and Verizon in my household, and traveling the country, having noticed any difference in service.
I would buy the phone I like, such as if you want an iPhone, the choice of carrier is simplified.

He said call as well, Carlos. :tu

Studebaker
02-16-2009, 12:16 PM
You will be be happy to know Smokin Gator, tht Alltel is now Verizion.

I've been with Alltel for 12 years with few complaints. It will be interesting to see how my plan and costs change once they migrate us Alltel customers to Verizon plans. Very good to see a lot of satisfied Verizon customers here, that's encouraging.

DPD6030
02-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It appears that Verizon is the winner and I will probably go with them. After all, my family seems to be wanting to go that way so I can call them for free.

barbourjay
02-16-2009, 10:05 PM
i've sold verizon products for 8 years now. if you have any questions or anyone does feel free to PM me about stuff.

as for global coverage, VZW is slowly putting out world edition phones. almost all of north america and south america is covered by CDMA. the EU is the only place i know that mandates GSM only coverage. so you don't have to have AT&T for global coverage as we offe that capability as well.

we just started offering my circle type plans on sunday.

ucla695
02-17-2009, 06:42 AM
I've had T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless (before they merged with Cingular) and can say that Verizon has the best coverage I've ever had. I can't remember the last time I had a dropped call or didn't have coverage. One down side is that you pay a premium for their services and no iPhone.

Blueface
02-17-2009, 07:20 AM

Unfortunately, not for everyone.
I have my wife on the $39 plan and it does not qualify for friends and family.
I have to go up to the $59 plan to be able to get it.
In my case, just not worth the extra $20 as my daughter is her main calls and she too is on Verizon so it would be free anyway.

Lucky_Hippo
02-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Had Sprint for many many years, until they merged with Nextel and spun off thier local divison. Switched to Embarq for the last 2 years and signed up for Verizon last night. We're looking forward to the great customer service everyone talks about on the web. It will be a breath of fresh air.

barbourjay
02-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately, not for everyone.
I have my wife on the $39 plan and it does not qualify for friends and family.
I have to go up to the $59 plan to be able to get it.
In my case, just not worth the extra $20 as my daughter is her main calls and she too is on Verizon so it would be free anyway.

that's the reason why i said it was a type of my circle plans. you gotta pay to play.

zmancbr
02-17-2009, 09:33 AM
So I was a long time customer of t-mobile (think 10+ years)... but they lost me when they failed to keep with their network and as a result, they lost me to Verizon... so far I can say I am happy with Verizon and I am happy with my storm. It is the best BB I have ever had (this is my 3rd one). I am glad this BB worked out, since I hated the Pearl so much.

As for verizon, I can say I have had far superior service with them, than with t-mobile and I don't regret switching at all.

So add one more vote for Verizon! :tu

Raralith
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
i've sold verizon products for 8 years now. if you have any questions or anyone does feel free to PM me about stuff.

as for global coverage, VZW is slowly putting out world edition phones. almost all of north america and south america is covered by CDMA. the EU is the only place i know that mandates GSM only coverage. so you don't have to have AT&T for global coverage as we offe that capability as well.

Is Verizon sticking with CDMA or going to come out with GSM? America does both, but Europe's standard is GSM so only GSM phones like T-Moble and AT&T can work there.

Also, happen to know why Verizon went with on board SIM cards instead of having them removable?

barbourjay
02-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Is Verizon sticking with CDMA or going to come out with GSM? America does both, but Europe's standard is GSM so only GSM phones like T-Moble and AT&T can work there.

Also, happen to know why Verizon went with on board SIM cards instead of having them removable?

the whole world is changing again. VZW will go to LTE (long term evolution) and it will launch this year (towards the end thanks to the whole DTV delay).

VZW has removable sim cards in their world edition phones. the storm, blackberry 8830, the z6 world edition and the new samsung saga all are world capable.

on their regular edition CDMA only handsets there is no sim card in them period. it's an ESN (electronic serial number) only system.

if you don't want to be stuck with those specific phones for world travel all you have to do is call the global department and they will give you a free phone to use over seas.

PeteSB75
02-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I've been using TMobile(Voicestream) for about 8 years now. Chose them initially because they had the best price plans. That, the SIM cards, and the option to go with a 1 year contract, as opposed to 2 for all the rest, made my choice easy. I've also found their customer service to be exceptional.

barbourjay
02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
I've been using TMobile(Voicestream) for about 8 years now. Chose them initially because they had the best price plans. That, the SIM cards, and the option to go with a 1 year contract, as opposed to 2 for all the rest, made my choice easy. I've also found their customer service to be exceptional.

VZW also does 1 year agreements and does month to month agreements (not prepaid).

JPH
02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
I was going to say..I have Sprint... so not them.... but I see you already dislike them as well... Just wanted to add to the negative review... bad coverage.

GO ATT

ca21455
02-17-2009, 05:18 PM
AT&T because that is the provider for my work phone. My wife switched to AT&T from Sprint so her calls to me would be free and Sprint coverage was poor.