PDA

View Full Version : Aging Cigars

Barteur
02-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi I have questions about aging cigars.

-I have read that cigar, if not damage can be re-humidified and still be good.:hm
-Can cigars that have been dried out be aged when re-humidified?:)
-Is all cigars ``ageable``:confused:

Regards

Frenchie

SmoknTaz
02-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Depends on how long the cigar has been "unhumidified."

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6715&highlight=revive

Bax
02-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I would imagine that most of the oils in the cigar would be gone therefore aging would be minimal. I've tried to re-humidify, but to me they taste off.
There are smarter guys floating around that may be able to chime in, though.

groogs
02-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Depends on how long the cigar has been "unhumidified"

:tpd: That is the key, if they have been in somebodys closet for a year they are probably done for, but if the RH was just a little low for a short time they can probably be saved.

ucla695
02-16-2009, 08:19 PM
:tpd: That is the key, if they have been in somebodys closet for a year they are probably done for, but if the RH was just a little low for a short time they can probably be saved.

:tpd:

JJG
02-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I agree that you can't revive a cigar once it's dried out but does the local climate have any bearing on this? The reason I ask is because I live in Houston where the humidity is generally between 60-100% most of the year, no joke. I never have to spray my beads...ever.

I've always wondered what would happen if I just left a cigar out of the humidor for an extended period of time here.

Footbag
02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
I agree that you can't revive a cigar once it's dried out but does the local climate have any bearing on this? The reason I ask is because I live in Houston where the humidity is generally between 60-100% most of the year, no joke. I never have to spray my beads...ever.

I've always wondered what would happen if I just left a cigar out of the humidor for an extended period of time here.

Local humidity has a lot to do with it. I'm not sure specifically about Texas, but humidifiers are pretty much useless in the islands and many other areas because of local humidity.
Leaving it out of the humidor for a long time may allow it to come in contact with too much air and lose it's flavor, but that wouldn't be the humidity's fault. If they were in a box, I'd say they are likely revive-able. If your humidity never dropped below 60%, you have nothing to worry about.