PDA

View Full Version : I need advice about developing this bead thing.

shilala
02-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't know what to do, and I figure who better to ask than you guys?
This whole bead thing has been both a blessing and a curse.
I simply cannot keep up. I can't make beads fast enough, and I've made so many that I honestly cringe just thinking about having to make them. :)

I'm kind of torn, really. It's cool that they work so well, and it's cool that everyone loves them, and it's cool that they last forever and all that stuff, but it's just not what I like to do.
I enjoy inventing things. I've done it all my life. I've invented tons of stuff, I even invented a chicken once. Yeah, a chicken. Made a fortune but I spent it all, and gave the rest away. Creating stuff is what I want to be doing and all my spare time is sucked up making beads.

What I'm looking for is ideas about "what's next?"
I'd like to see someone develop the beads and make them more widely and easily available, because they totally kick ass. I don't know thing one about how to do it or how to go about it. I'd far rather a BOTL run with it because I can't imagine it otherwise. I just don't want that BOTL to be me. :)

Maybe you guys can come up with something that'll serve everyone and I can get back to doing what I do. :tu

G G
02-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I have lots of time on my hands. How much time does it take one man to do all you have to do. Do you actually make them from raw product into beads? And I'm sure you would have to be paid. What is your idea for that part, like a royalty thing?

taltos
02-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Have you looked into putting a patent on the process and/or product in order to protect yourself? With a patent under your control, you could look to license the process and product to someone who has the plant capacity to make and market them.

Yazzie
02-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Scott, you need to find someone who wants to buy your Bead Business or sell your Bead "Recipe" to someone who wants to take it and run....

Or you just need to hire some competent Whore who will work for you making beads....

I think that's pretty much your options......:ss

G G
02-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I am competent but that other part I'm not sure about.:)

groogs
02-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I am competent but that other part I'm not sure about.:)

Don't sell yourself short.

JK.:D

GWN
02-13-2009, 06:17 PM
you need an intern a la Kramerica.

nozero
02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Hmm, I'd like to hear more about this chicken...:hm

J/K, whatever you do the best to you.

gettysburgfreak
02-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I need a career and lots of time, Ill take over for you scott :ss

lightning9191
02-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I'd go for either patenting it or keeping the recipe a secret and look for a buyer.

G G
02-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Maybe Jon Craputo would buy it. Just kidding.:tu

Smokin Gator
02-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Maybe Jon Craputo would buy it. Just kidding.:tu

:r:r:r

rrplasencia
02-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Or you just need to hire some competent Whore who will work for you making beads....

competent manwhore here

Partagaspete
02-14-2009, 12:06 AM
First off, I was just thinking the other day "I need some beads, maybe I should buy from Shilala this time and try his product." Second, Patent your idea. Many years ago my dad invented a small automatic fish tank cleaner similar to what is now used in swimming pools and my mom kept telling him to drive down to washington and patent it. Long story short someone else patented a year or so lader and is now richer than shyte. Finally, after you patent it you can subcontract/hire people to do the work or sell teh patent outright.

Let me know if you are still taking orders as I was serious about buying some of your product.

T

kaisersozei
02-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I concur with the patent recommendation. You definitely want to retain the ownership rights to this invention--we use them to maintain cigar humidifaction, who knows what other application they might have.

Then you can pursue a small scale manufacturer if you want to divorce yourself from the production process.:2

s15driftking
02-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Patent first, loan second, Third = call a small business development firm and a lawyer.

Make some dollars!

shilala
02-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Patent first, loan second, Third = call a small business development firm and a lawyer.

Make some dollars!
The first part is exactly what I DON'T want to do. I'd rather be shot in the face. That'd be less painful.
Dollars are nice, but it's not even close to the top of what I'd like to see happen.

mi2az
02-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Scott, What exactly would you like to see happen ?

The above suggestions all seem great to me as well. If this is using up all your free time, you need to part with it. Selling your bead business or simply put a patent on them would be a direction to go. I am sure there are other useful applications for the beads and the market would make that decision.

shilala
02-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Scott, What exactly would you like to see happen ?

The above suggestions all seem great to me as well. If this is using up all your free time, you need to part with it. Selling your bead business or simply put a patent on them would be a direction to go. I am sure there are other useful applications for the beads and the market would make that decision.
You're right Marty, all excellent suggestions. I'm really glad I made this thread, it's been a huge help.
I'm still not at all sure about the direction "exactly", but because of everyone's suggestions I can see a couple avenues that I never saw before. That's helping me make up my mind about the "exactly". :)
It's all great input and this is the only place I could imagine getting it. :tu

Snake Hips
02-14-2009, 10:14 AM
If you don't want to patent it, then I'm sure you could just sell the process to some enterprising capitalist, one of the proclaimed manwhores above or some already-established company in the business, like Xikar. That'd be less work than a patent, it'd get it off your hands relatively quickly and it would keep the great product available for us. Or you could give it to me and I'll sell it :D

s15driftking
02-14-2009, 10:19 AM
yep, i agree with snakehips, sell the idea... get a lawyer first.

honestly, i'm an entrepreneur of sorts. what would you be selling? the process in which it takes to create the beads? would you provide detailed instructions? would you breakdown the costs and time averages to produce the product? My ears are privately perked ... hehe

BigBruce
02-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Scott it all comes down to how you want to handle it. There are many BOTL on the board that would be happy to take it over from you. Some would even give you a kickback :r There is businesses out there that are not bad to work with. I know cigar caddy is ran buy a very good guy (Jamie). So what do you have in mind so far?

Mark C
02-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Man I'm glad I've got enough beads for my needs right now :)

I like the idea of selling your beads to a BOTL. An accessory company like Xikar is a great idea, maybe try talking to Viper at Heartfelt too.

Sailchaser
02-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Scott I have used and promoted your beads when ever I could, they are simply a great product. It sounds like your not to worried about the cash or fame for the beads. You have a drive in you that is special and you will make a great decision no mater what. Good luck with your quest and if you need some one to bounce ideas off pm me

s15driftking
02-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Seriously scott, shoot me a pm.

Cyanide
02-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Just piping in here briefly.

The easiest option is to stop making them altogether.

The next easiest is to sell it to a good company like HeartFelt (he is active in here isn't he). Either he can start making a second line of beads, or he can just "suppress the competition" so to speak.

Another option is to sell instructions on how to make the beads, accept that the information gets out there, but this isn't too bad if you divorce yourself of any emotional tethers to the beads.

Another interesting option (the one I was really wanting to write about), is to turn this community into a sort of diffuse factory. You could give your process, supplier names etc to a number of BOTLs on the board her that you can trust. Figure out a way of getting them the deals on materials and services you might have been able to develop. Then, you could collect the orders, push the production out to these BOTL to produce, and then push out the shipment information for them to then mail them out.

You would want to control materials, delivery methods, production methods and timelines.

Then have those BOTLs set up electronic bank accounts that allow you to transfer into. You collect the sales moneys, push out supply supply and shipping costs along with their wages/profit to the BOTL and then receive feedback from the original purchaser at time of reception.

The great benefit to this is that people could get involved as needed, bow out when need be and it would possibly open the door to helping out alot of BOTL that may have found things difficult with the new economic environment.

Further, this could also allow you to pursue new market directions with the product if you wanted (or not). For instance, I bet the musical instrument industry has a significant need for humidification products.

But that is just my thoughts on this. One of the benefits is it would keep you getting some satisfaction from the beads, get you some extra income to pursue other inventions, allow you to expand if you want and help fellow BOTLs down on their luck.

Cheers

John

Cyanide
02-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Another thing I just thought about:

is it possible for you to take a hard look at your production methods and see whether their might be new and novel ways to do it all?

You might find a means which to triple your production and half your time. Then, you could even run a surplus of product, stockpile and then take extended hiatus for that and still supply your market. All the while actually doing that with less time.

Just another thought.

John

MikeyC
02-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Another thing I just thought about:

is it possible for you to take a hard look at your production methods and see whether their might be new and novel ways to do it all?

You might find a means which to triple your production and half your time. Then, you could even run a surplus of product, stockpile and then take extended hiatus for that and still supply your market. All the while actually doing that with less time.

Just another thought.

John

:tpd:

I would look hard at your production methods and see if there is a way to stream line them or at least increase the amount of beads you produce at one time.

shilala
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I did a lot of talking to a bunch of brothers, and as a result I came upon a bunch of workable solutions.
I just got in another 110 pounds of beads and a couple bolts of fabric, so it looks like I'll be sticking it out for the long run.
Thanks to everyone who had advice. I really took it all to heart and it was a huge help. :)

white_s2k
03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Glad to hear you decided to stick it out Scott :tu

Kreth
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
You really need to get this rolling so we can all get in on the IPO... :r

jpan
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I got some beads from Scott about a week ago. They have completely stabilized my humidor, and also my overflow Tupperware. I was already using beads, but once I added his, everything was perfect in one day.

shilala
03-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I remodeled a room upstairs into "the bead factory".
Mark (n2adventure) gave me a lot of ideas on how to manage the whole mess, and make the whole affair less intrusive.
It's definately helped just to get the stuff out of my sight and put away where it belongs. I just have to do little more work on the "manufacturing area" and it'll all be good to go.

Savor the Stick
03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Good to Hear Buddy!:wo:wo

I remodeled a room upstairs into "the bead factory".
Mark (n2adventure) gave me a lot of ideas on how to manage the whole mess, and make the whole affair less intrusive.
It's definitely helped just to get the stuff out of my sight and put away where it belongs. I just have to do little more work on the "manufacturing area" and it'll all be good to go.

TripleF
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
I do want to see this chicken.

If I was you Scotty, I would entrust the business to someone here on CA, and have them pay you for whatever sells. It's a no-risk, nothing lost, nothing gained type of arrangment. If beads sell you both make money, if they don't.....oh well. The key is trust. If you got that, you're golden!! :tu

When I made an agreement with the pro angler (Randy Howell) I sponsor) to adorn my logo on his apparel and website we agreed I would pay when stuff sold. Easy enough. No contracts. No obligations. Just real simple. THat was 3 years ago.

MedicCook
03-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Glad to hear you are sticking with it Scott. I will be placing my order hopefully by the end of the month.

totallytentative
03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Hooray for the cottage industry! :D

This is good for me, because I feel closer to figuring out my final storage arrangements after much fussing... beads were always part of the plan.